Quicken Mac 2017 - move the data file to network shared drive

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
I have three Mac computers that have Windows virtual machines so that I can run Quicken Windows on each. The single Quicken data file is on a shared drive USB connected to my router and can be opened and saved from any of the computers.

I tried the Mac version and can find the hidden data file in Finder. It's hidden but stored in the Mac Documents folder. I can't figure out how to move it to the shared drive in order to make it accessable from all three computers.

Is this possible with the Mac version? If so, I might be able to eliminate the need for running VMs.

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Don't try to share the Quicken for Mac data file.

While it might appear to initially work, it rarely ends well when the file gets corrupted. Just don't do it.

Equally, don't try to save a copy on web storage like iCloud or DropBox. Similar disasters will occur.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Don't try to share the Quicken for Mac data file.

While it might appear to initially work, it rarely ends well when the file gets corrupted. Just don't do it.

Equally, don't try to save a copy on web storage like iCloud or DropBox. Similar disasters will occur.

And the same goes with Quicken Windows data files.  

DO NOT USE THEM IN A SHARED NETWORKED DRIVE.  Do not use them in a Cloud based drive.

Data corruption WILL occur if you do.  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    First, you need to understand that Quicken is not designed for multi-user usage, so, the options to "share" a data file are work-arounds.  Even sharing a data file between computers with the "same" user is seen by the OS as separate users. Since you did not specify the level of access you are wanting to achieve, here are a number of options:
    • the first option is to move the data back and forth between users. In your case, you could move a copy of the data to a shared location, e.g. Drop Box, networked drive, etc. and each take turns updating the data. You would have to develop a sign-out process to make sure you do not both update a copy and overwrite each other's work. However, do not store and use the data file stored online directly. This often leads to a corrupted data file. Best practice is to compress the data file before moving it to a cloud based storage to prevent problems with file permissions.
    • you can create a new user on one computer and use and store the data file in user (no not store the data file in a shared folder)
    • If you have mobile devices (iOS or Android) and if all you want to sync is cash, bank, and credit card accounts (i.e. non-investment transactions), consider using Quicken Mobile on a mobile device. You can sync more than one mobile to the same data file located on one of your computers, as long as you use the same Intuit ID associated to the data file. Note that this is limited to sync 24 months plus new transactions.
    • use remote access software (several free options, e.g. NoMachine and Teamviewer) to access Quicken on one computer from the other, or even mobile devices (see this great article for complete review of many options (most are free): http://machow2.com/rdp-for-mac/ ). Though this article was written primarily with Macs in mind, there are many solutions offered that work for Windows too. The advantage of these solutions is that you retain access to all the features of Quicken, unlike Quicken Mobile. The trade-off is that the host computer cannot really be used for anything else while using Quicken with these remote solutions. 
    • use VPN software, a little more complicated to set up but more versatile. You will need to research options for this.
    (If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

First, you need to understand that Quicken is not designed for multi-user usage, so, the options to "share" a data file are work-arounds.  Even sharing a data file between computers with the "same" user is seen by the OS as separate users. Since you did not specify the level of access you are wanting to achieve, here are a number of options:

• the first option is to move the data back and forth between users. In your case, you could move a copy of the data to a shared location, e.g. Drop Box, networked drive, etc. and each take turns updating the data. You would have to develop a sign-out process to make sure you do not both update a copy and overwrite each other's work. However, do not store and use the data file stored online directly. This often leads to a corrupted data file. Best practice is to compress the data file before moving it to a cloud based storage to prevent problems with file permissions.
    • you can create a new user on one computer and use and store the data file in user (no not store the data file in a shared folder)
    • If you have mobile devices (iOS or Android) and if all you want to sync is cash, bank, and credit card accounts (i.e. non-investment transactions), consider using Quicken Mobile on a mobile device. You can sync more than one mobile to the same data file located on one of your computers, as long as you use the same Intuit ID associated to the data file. Note that this is limited to sync 24 months plus new transactions.
    • use remote access software (several free options, e.g. NoMachine and Teamviewer) to access Quicken on one computer from the other, or even mobile devices (see this great article for complete review of many options (most are free): http://machow2.com/rdp-for-mac/ ). Though this article was written primarily with Macs in mind, there are many solutions offered that work for Windows too. The advantage of these solutions is that you retain access to all the features of Quicken, unlike Quicken Mobile. The trade-off is that the host computer cannot really be used for anything else while using Quicken with these remote solutions. 
    • use VPN software, a little more complicated to set up but more versatile. You will need to research options for this.
    (If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    I think you should leave out the mobile sync part in your description in the future.

First off, there ARE problems with mobile sync and the reliability isn't there yet.

Second, it's not a backup...it's a sync.  And as you mentioned, it's a limited sync at that with limited transactions and limited accounts.  So, to me, that's a lousy way to try and get Quicken to be multi-user. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thanks for the replies. I know I've been using Quicken on Windows with a shared local network drive since the 2011 version and it always works fine. I don't sync data and I don't use the mobile app although I have it set up and it works (it just doesn't seem to do much), I only have the one data file that is accessed by me (single user) from different computers. I don't want any of my Quicken data in the cloud, it' all on my local LAN.

I understand file management might be different on the Mac and may not work so I'll stick with the Windows version for now.

Thanks
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

That's just great.  The wonderful Quicken sales guy told me I could put the data file on OneDrive and run it off two of my computers.  That was a LIE.  What a waste of money this program has turned out to be.

Amazon review will be updated with this info.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options

Sorry you were misinformed. 

• the first option is to move the data back and forth between users. In your case, you could move a copy of the data to a shared location, e.g. Drop Box, and each take turns updating the data. You would have to develop a sign-out process to make sure you do not both update a copy and overwrite each other's work. However, do not store and use the data file stored online directly. This often leads to a corrupted data file. Best practice is to compress the data file before moving it to a cloud based storage to prevent problems with file permissions.
    • you can create a new user on your computer and use and store the data file in user (no not store the data file in a shared folder)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

You seem very knowledgeable concerning this issue, which is exactly what I want to do—share one Quicken 2017 data file (not at the same time, just be able to access data file from either computer)—a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air.  I will take any recommendation that you offer.  Thanks so much.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2018
    Options

David, the safest way to move your Quicken file between two different Macs is to make a Compressed (.zip) copy of it, or use a Quicken-generated backup (which is basically a .zip file in a slightly different wrapper).

So, here's how to do it via manual .zip files:
    a) Quick Quicken.
    b) Navigate to your Quicken data file, select it, and compress it (in the Finder, File > Compress)
    c) Transfer the resulting .zip file to your other Mac, by any means you wish: flash drive, files sharing between the Macs, or uploading to a cloud service lie iCloud or Dropbox.
    d) On the second Mac, download/copy the .zip file from wherever it is stored.
    e) Double-click the .zip file to decompress it. Double-click on the resulting Quicken data file to launch Quicken and open this file. (It is not necessary to put it in any particular location; the Desktop or Documents folder are fine -- but you must make sure you have turned OFF storing those folders in iCloud (in System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Options)

To move the data file back to the first Mac, repeat the same steps to move the file in the opposite direction.

If you save your Quicken backup file or a .zip file to iCloud or Dropbox after each time you use Quicken, then you will always have the latest version there for download and use on either computer.

Just keep in mind you must be vigilant that you have only one location for your Quicken data file on each computer, or you can quickly get confused and open an older file one on computer without realizing it, and end up losing data that way.

Additionally, any of the other methods in the post above from @smayer97 are viable alternative approaches to this issue. What would work best for you depends on how you use Quicken on your two Macs. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I have been keeping my Quicken data file on a samba share on a NAS for years without problem, and accessing it from 2 different Windows 10 boxes.  I replaced the NAS with a home server running Centos 7 Linux a few months ago, and was unable to get Quicken (Windows 2016 Deluxe) to recognize the file on the server when using NFS to share files between the server and the Windows machines.  I dumped NFS, set up Samba on the server, and Quicken works fine again.  I've never experienced a data corruption problem with this set up, but I routinely back up my Quicken data file to a USB flash drive on one of the Windows boxes just in case.  I never try to open the file on one computer if its already open on the other, but I may have accidentally tried it once a long time ago, and it wouldn't let me, although don't quote me on that.  Your actual mileage with the Mac version may vary.
This discussion has been closed.