Reset reconciliation of an imported account

I'm having trouble reconciling, or at least it's not making sense. When I invoke Reconcile (on one account, but there are many that do this) and pick 'Use Statement Balance', it gives me an outrageous amount as a staring balance. I correct the staring balance and enter the correct date and ending balance, it claims there's a difference of -$22,000 which is impossible. I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that this account (in my example) was already reconciled in my previous banking software (Banktivity), although oddly, when I show the Clr column, about 80% of the transactions are cleared/reconciled and about 20% are unchecked. Not sure why this would be since they all part of the previous reconciliation. Is there some was to easily "reset" a reconciliation for a given account? There are too many transactions to uncheck the box in the Clr column.

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    What version of QMac are you using? When did you upgrade to QMac?
    Typically, when an error like this occurs, it may be that some transaction(s) got deleted or their reconcile status got changed.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Quicken 2017 for Mac. I just got transferred over from Banktivity this past April. Obviously the reconcile status got changed (my comment about 80%/20%). I'm just wondering how to "correct" a reconciliation of a given account, even if it means starting over with the reconciliation.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    The problem turned out to mostly be a lack of understanding on my part.  The key clarification was turning on the "Clr" column so I could see that some of the previously reconciled transactions were no longer "checked" -- and then understanding that the sum total of those uncleared transactions was the difference it was presenting to me when reconciling. Once I checked all of them, the discrepancy evaporated to zero.   Mainly I didn't realize that all of those transactions had become "uncleared"
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

The problem turned out to mostly be a lack of understanding on my part.  The key clarification was turning on the "Clr" column so I could see that some of the previously reconciled transactions were no longer "checked" -- and then understanding that the sum total of those uncleared transactions was the difference it was presenting to me when reconciling. Once I checked all of them, the discrepancy evaporated to zero.   Mainly I didn't realize that all of those transactions had become "uncleared"

Glad you figured it out. Yes, this can happen either due to user error or bugs in Quicken. Either way, a feature that exists in QM2007 would make this more obvious and make dealing with it SO easy. You may want to add your VOTE to Track/store Prior Reconciled Statements/periods.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Reconciliation Process. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.