Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.6.x Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
We’re starting to roll out version 4.6.x to customers.  

As many of you know, we were spun out of Intuit into our own company last year and as part of that deal Intuit allowed us to continue to use their authentication and cloud infrastructure for 18 months but at the end of 18 months, we had to be off of it.  Well, that deadline is the end of September. 

The 4.6 release moves all customers to the new Quicken ID authentication system, Quicken mobile/cloud infrastructure, and transaction aggregation and download system. This is a big change. It's analogous to picking up your house from its current location and foundation, transporting it to another town, putting it on a new foundation and then changing your lock and giving you a new key.  It’s not easy and will be a little messy.  We’ve been testing 4.6 with our beta test team for nearly 2 months to try to work out the kinks but with over 14,500 banks supported there are bound to be issues.  Please use this forum post as both a place to let us know the issues you’re running into and also as a place to find answers.

What are issues people seeing?
I personally ran into 3 issues when I took the 4.6.x update using my own personal Quicken file.
1) Wells Fargo accounts said there was a partial download error.  After I synced for a 4th time, the error went away.  Wells Fargo is one of a handful of financial institutions that require us to communicate with them differently than every other institution which causes some problems.
2) I saw duplicate transactions in my Wells Fargo Home Equity account.  The rest of my Wells Fargo accounts were OK.  We are seeing some duplicate transaction issues with certain types of accounts when you disconnect and reconnect accounts but, for some reason, it happened to me even though I didn’t do this.  If you think you’re seeing duplicate transactions, turn on the FI Id column in your register.  If the ID starts with "INTUIT-“ then you are definitely in this type of account.  CitiCards are probably the biggest financial institution in this bucket.  Again, you shouldn’t run into this unless you disconnect and reconnect your accounts.  Unfortunately, at this stage, I had to just delete the duplicate transactions and things seemed to work fine after that.  We’re also looking for ways to mitigate this from happening via improvements in our cloud service.
3) Chase accounts told me I needed to go to the Chase website to verify my account by opening a secure message and following the steps to confirm my identity.  I did that but it still didn’t work. I’ve done this hundreds of times in testing and it’s worked for me before so not sure why it didn’t work this time.  This is the only remaining issue I’m working through.  I’m guessing if I disconnect and reconnect the accounts by using the Add Account button I can get this working again but I’m trying other options first.
4) Quicken Loans - I have a Quicken Loan but this hasn’t worked in awhile.  Quicken loans is blocking us for some reason and not allowing our services to update transactions so this is unrelated to the 4.6 update. As many of you know, Quicken Loans and Quicken are not related companies.  We were a long time ago but are no longer tied together.

Overall this didn’t go too bad. I was able to convert my Intuit ID to a Quicken ID, migrate my data file, get transactions downloading for all of my accounts except for Chase but I’m confident I’ll be able to fix this.  Quicken Loans wasn’t working before so this wasn’t new.

Most of you shouldn’t run into any issues but if you do please report them here.  

Also for those of you in and around Florida, please stay safe.  One of our developers, Quicken Chris, lives and works in Florida and is now on his way to his wife's family in North Carolina so we wish him and all of you Floridians the best.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    Does 4.6 require Direct Connect accounts to be deactivated and reactivated? I ask because there's an ongoing issue with Citizens Bank new accounts not being able to be set up in 4.5.8. Pre-existing account setups continue to work fine. If deactivation is required, then it is likely that existing Citizens Bank Direct Connect account will not be able to be re-connected. This will break direct connect and bill pay for a fairly large number of users, I suspect.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    RickO said:

Does 4.6 require Direct Connect accounts to be deactivated and reactivated? I ask because there's an ongoing issue with Citizens Bank new accounts not being able to be set up in 4.5.8. Pre-existing account setups continue to work fine. If deactivation is required, then it is likely that existing Citizens Bank Direct Connect account will not be able to be re-connected. This will break direct connect and bill pay for a fairly large number of users, I suspect.

May not get an answer until Monday at this point. Not sure why such an important release would be on a Friday night just before everyone checks out.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Looks like this announcement is a duplicate. That's going to get confusing fast for such an important release.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    I can't seem to find the update. Even the Check for Update option from the software says my current version is up to date.
  • RickO
    edited September 2017

I can't seem to find the update. Even the Check for Update option from the software says my current version is up to date.

It's a staged release. It will come up for you when it comes up.
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017

Well, OK, but after 4 days, I still cannot download. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    RickO said:

exactly...and the online chat isn't working either
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    So how do we fix the connection to Wells Fargo...which seems to be completely F'd up?
  • Bob@63
    Bob@63 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    @ Quicken Marcus: There does seem to be an issue with the upgrade and subsequent problems with Direct Connect downloads. Personally, I have 11 accounts in various institutions (checking, savings, credit cards, retirement and brokerage). All downloaded perfectly with Direct Connect for years. Since the upgrade, nine accounts transitioned to v.4.6.2 and are working fine. 

However, two accounts changed from Direct Connect to Quicken Connect and no longer connect and download transactions (according to the Account Status window). I've tried a number of different approaches, including Change Connection Type and Deactivate Downloads and Set Up Transaction Downloads. To no avail. The result is that the account preferences show that Quicken Connect is active and no downloads occur. The Account Status window shows no connection since before the update to v.4.6.2 (Build 46.19020.100). Curiously, one of the accounts that failed to transition is one of two Chase credit cards that share the same ID and password on the Chase website. Both had worked fine for years in v.4.5.8. 

I've deactivated downloads for the time being and am hoping for at least an acknowledgement that the problem has been noted. I'll use manual updates for now. 

Thanks for the help. I know you're under the gun right now. Posting this in several locations. 
  • Ron
    Ron Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Bob said:

@ Quicken Marcus: There does seem to be an issue with the upgrade and subsequent problems with Direct Connect downloads. Personally, I have 11 accounts in various institutions (checking, savings, credit cards, retirement and brokerage). All downloaded perfectly with Direct Connect for years. Since the upgrade, nine accounts transitioned to v.4.6.2 and are working fine. 

However, two accounts changed from Direct Connect to Quicken Connect and no longer connect and download transactions (according to the Account Status window). I've tried a number of different approaches, including Change Connection Type and Deactivate Downloads and Set Up Transaction Downloads. To no avail. The result is that the account preferences show that Quicken Connect is active and no downloads occur. The Account Status window shows no connection since before the update to v.4.6.2 (Build 46.19020.100). Curiously, one of the accounts that failed to transition is one of two Chase credit cards that share the same ID and password on the Chase website. Both had worked fine for years in v.4.5.8. 

I've deactivated downloads for the time being and am hoping for at least an acknowledgement that the problem has been noted. I'll use manual updates for now. 

Thanks for the help. I know you're under the gun right now. Posting this in several locations. 

Same issue for me with Direct Connect accounts, including Fidelity, Schwab, First Republic, Chase, Citi since 9/15 update.  Amex is intermittent, which is really odd.  Account status report shows all green, but updates are not occurring.
  • George@30
    George@30 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I cannot Direct Connect with USAA Investment Management.  I get the 15500 error indicating there is something wrong with the password/logon.  USAA Federal Savings Bank was experiencing sam problem, but then it went away after I deactivated Quicken Mobil in the preferences.  I tried deleting Keychain Access: "Quicken 2015 password for customer... at USAA Investment Management", and rebooting, but that didn't work.  I've called USAA and they saw nothing on their end.  I did change my password, which I think may have trigged this problem.  I also don't understand why Keychain Access is "Quicken 2015 password..." instead of "Quicken 2017 password..."
  • Benjamin Glickman
    Benjamin Glickman Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Wells Fargo still doesn't work for me -- partial download errors. I tried deactivating and reactivating, which required me to do so for each online WF account and manually link them to my existing accounts in Quicken.  Still no downloads.  I can live with my credit cards or investment accounts not working for a bit after each update, but WF is my primary checking account, so it is incredibly frustrating that it routinely fails with Quicken.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Quicken Connect with my credit union doesn't seem to be working.  Nothing shows up in the Account Status window.  Also, if I select this account and use click on Command-U to update this account, nothing happens.  Do Quicken Connect accounts only update in the background?
  • RickO
    edited September 2017

Quicken Connect with my credit union doesn't seem to be working.  Nothing shows up in the Account Status window.  Also, if I select this account and use click on Command-U to update this account, nothing happens.  Do Quicken Connect accounts only update in the background?

Quicken Connect accounts now update in the background. You should see a spinning wheel while it's working. The date in the Account Status window only updates for QC accounts now if there are actual transactions downloaded. If you open the Account Status window (menu Window) and uncheck the box "open only when there are errors" then is should open when each download is complete.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017

Is my QC account information stored on Quicken Cloud?  This is not something I am comfortable with.  Is Direct Account info stored on Quicken Cloud?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    When I download transactions in v4.6.4 they don't match with transactions I entered by hand.  Also, categories don't download automatically for Payees that I frequently use.  Finally I just update my QC account by bringing up the Account Status dialog box and clicking on the Update box.  A couple of my other credit card accounts (DC accounts) were updated and new transactions were downloaded. but they didn't appear in the Account Status window. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    After a few tries, it finally migrated me to the updated version last night. Total disaster. All my accounts are screwed up, missing transactions, have balances that are off etc.  It seems a lot had to do with manually edited transactions, but that doesn't seem to be all of it. Several of my accounts are many thousands of dollars off. I'm very unhappy, since this is a very inconvenient time for this to happen for me. Will there be a fix? Is there a way to go back to yesterday do I can salvage what I can?
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Michelle said:

After a few tries, it finally migrated me to the updated version last night. Total disaster. All my accounts are screwed up, missing transactions, have balances that are off etc.  It seems a lot had to do with manually edited transactions, but that doesn't seem to be all of it. Several of my accounts are many thousands of dollars off. I'm very unhappy, since this is a very inconvenient time for this to happen for me. Will there be a fix? Is there a way to go back to yesterday do I can salvage what I can?

The previous version of Quicken should be in the Trash, and hopefully you have a backup of the data file pre-conversion that you can revert to. If so, then the answer is yes.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Yes QC data is stored in Quicken Cloud...that is how the process works...read more here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
    (this info is for QWindows BUT if you read the parts about EWC-Express Web Connect, it is effectively the same as Quicken Connect. Unfortunately, the same page for QMac is down at the moment).

Data for Direct Connect transmit only between you and your FI/Bank and NOT stored on Quicken servers.

That said, be aware that the only way to avoid your data ending up on Quicken servers is as follows. You have to meet 4 criteria:
    Do NOT have Quicken Connect set up for ANY account
    Turn OFF Mobile Sync option
    Turn OFF Alerts Notification option
    Turn OFF Clean-up Payees options

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    I click on update then it starts the download process then asks for a username and password. It doesn't like the password I'm using. Where do I get this password if it's no longer supported by Intuit?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017

I might follow these steps.  I really don't want my info stored on Quicken's servers.  That means I won't be able to download transactions for my checking account.  This is really too bad.  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

Again, Direct Connect and Web Connect (QFX data file downloaded from your FI/bank) avoid your data getting on Quicken servers as long as the settings above are as mentioned. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017

When I download transactions in v4.6.4 they don't match with transactions I entered by hand.  Also, categories don't download automatically for Payees that I frequently use.  Finally I just update my QC account by bringing up the Account Status dialog box and clicking on the Update box.  A couple of my other credit card accounts (DC accounts) were updated and new transactions were downloaded. but they didn't appear in the Account Status window. 

After reading most of the comments by those who have begun the process of converting, I am going to find another product. I have relied on Quicken for all my finances since 1988. It is very sad that this wonderful product is no longer easy to use. Impossible for me! And everything will crash? That's totally unfair!!
  • Dennis@1
    Dennis@1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

Many of us have upgraded with no issues at all. Don't just assume you are going to have problems. Back up your data file and save a copy of your current Quicken application as well before you upgrade. 
  • RickO
    edited September 2017

I am about to take the plunge and will report back. But one thing that's very different about this update is that once your ID is converted to Quicken, your Intuit ID is trashed (for Quicken purposes) and so even though you may have the old program and data file, I don't think you'll be able to continue to use online features with it. At least that's my understanding.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    I had a major issue with this update which I posted about under the Investment category. Basically my Scottrade brokerage account thinks I still own 10 shares of CPQ (Compaq) which was bought out by HP many years ago. CPQ still exists under another name. It also doubled my stock sale from earlier this month, both transactions were downloaded but only one is correct. I will be happy to paste that post over here if it is a better place for it.

I'm also unhappy with how the import took my transactions that were not assigned a category and tried it's best to categorize them. Thing is, I leave them uncatagorzied until I process the receipt. I am able to run a report on all of these unfilled transactions and easily find and fix them (at least in my old Q2006/7). Now I have to look at the royal mess that Quicken decided to make for me and at this point, I'm not sure if it used its own categories only or used its own and some of mine. At this point I have no confidence in the accuracy of what is categorized which is important to me at tax time. Perhaps deleting all the Quicken standard categories would fix this issue. I don't ever remember Quicken imposing its own categories upon me and I've been a user since Version 1 (Mac)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    My mobile account is defaulting to old accounts that I have hidden on my on-line version. There needs to be a way to tell the mobile version which account it should default to.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Go to Quicken > Preferences > Connected Services and click the blue reset link.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    diane d said:

I had a major issue with this update which I posted about under the Investment category. Basically my Scottrade brokerage account thinks I still own 10 shares of CPQ (Compaq) which was bought out by HP many years ago. CPQ still exists under another name. It also doubled my stock sale from earlier this month, both transactions were downloaded but only one is correct. I will be happy to paste that post over here if it is a better place for it.

I'm also unhappy with how the import took my transactions that were not assigned a category and tried it's best to categorize them. Thing is, I leave them uncatagorzied until I process the receipt. I am able to run a report on all of these unfilled transactions and easily find and fix them (at least in my old Q2006/7). Now I have to look at the royal mess that Quicken decided to make for me and at this point, I'm not sure if it used its own categories only or used its own and some of mine. At this point I have no confidence in the accuracy of what is categorized which is important to me at tax time. Perhaps deleting all the Quicken standard categories would fix this issue. I don't ever remember Quicken imposing its own categories upon me and I've been a user since Version 1 (Mac)

You can add your VOTE to Add Option to Turn Off Auto-Categorization of Downloaded Transactions and/or to Restore Transactions Downloading Acceptance and Matching workflow.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Downloading Data into Quicken. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    diane d said:

Will do. Last night I deleted all the Quicken default categories which put my empty ones back to Uncategorized. 
This discussion has been closed.