Why is it so difficult to import QM2007 files into QM2017

I am in the process of moving from Banktivity 5 to QM2017.

As part of my conversion, I have decided to move some old QM2007 Files over to QM2017.  When I tried to do a direct conversion I could not understand some of the miscellaneous entries the conversion created.

So I went from QM2007 to Banktivity 5.  The Banktivity file required minimal editing to reconcile the files.  I then exported a QIF file from Banktivity and imported it into QM2017. There were only a few minor adjustments required.

It does not make sense to me that the import form Banktivity is so much smoother than the import from your own product.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    I had the same problem years ago & went to Banktivity.  Just today and tonight imported all from 2000, maybe earlier via Banktivity and it all looks real good. The readilabilty looks better and the reporting looks vastly better.  Banktivity was giving me too many errors recently.  I hope Q-mac-17 is better as my 60 days runs out 3/1/17
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    Steve, without knowing what specific problems you ran into trying to convert form Quicken 2007 to Quicken 2017, it's hard to offer any advice. Many, many users have successfully imported Quicken 2007 data files, but I know that's of no consolation if it didn't work for you.

Since the number of people converting from Quicken 2007 continues to decline with each passing year, I don't think the developers are devoting much attention to this part of the program these days, but if a bug in the import process can be identified, I imagine the developers would want to fix it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    jacobs said:

Steve, without knowing what specific problems you ran into trying to convert form Quicken 2007 to Quicken 2017, it's hard to offer any advice. Many, many users have successfully imported Quicken 2007 data files, but I know that's of no consolation if it didn't work for you.

Since the number of people converting from Quicken 2007 continues to decline with each passing year, I don't think the developers are devoting much attention to this part of the program these days, but if a bug in the import process can be identified, I imagine the developers would want to fix it.

I dunno.  You say the number of people converting from qm2007 is declining from year to year -- maybe a lot (like me) aren't even going to bother to try until it is clear that the new quicken has incorporated all the necessary (for them) features that are in 2007 -- at that point (or when OS X pulls the plug) everyone left will have to convert.
  • jacobs
    edited October 2017
    jacobs said:

Of course, you're right that we don't know how many active Quicken 2007 users there are. But Quicken does, and that may drive their planning on certain features, especially those that are one-time-only conversions.

All I was intending to say is that each year, more Quicken 2007 users migrate to the current generation Quicken, so the pool of existing Quicken 2007 users continues to shrink month by month. (I don't know if the pace of migration is flat, accelerating or slowing -- I only know there are ever-fewer active Quicken 2007 users hanging on and waiting for additional functionality in order to migrate.)
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    jacobs said:

You're right -- quicken would know fairly accurately how many currently active users there are (I assume by those who interact with the quote server, since I don't believe QM2017 talks to quicken for anything else.) But if they can't tell that, they have no idea how many registered quicken users are waiting to convert until the last minute and how many have just abandoned it and tried to do the best they can with some other product (none of which, from what I can tell, do what QM2007 does!)
  • jacobs
    edited October 2017
    jacobs said:

I believe Quicken 2007 does "phone home" to check for updates, so that gives them stats on how many users are using Quicken 2007.
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    jacobs said:

It used to do that, but I wonder if it does anymore?  And is there even a home to phone to?  I probably have an old version backed up somewhere I could try and see if it reports it needs updating!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    jacobs said:

Yes, without some kind of phone home feature, there would be no way to factor in the many users that strictly use QM2007 manually...

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.