How to record the Berkeley Lab Change in investments

Jeff Richards
Jeff Richards Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Berkeley Lab in CA changed their investments on 10-2-17 from various options on your 403 B. How do you record the change in Quicken 2017  

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    "Berkeley Lab in CA changed their investments on 10-2-17 from various options on your 403 B."

I have no idea what that sentence is saying.  I assume that you're the one with a 403(b) that you're accounting for In Quicken, but it's completely unclear what changed on 10/2/17. 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Jeff,
    We're  other users, and in order to assist you ... you need to assist us.  I agree with Tom that your 1st sentence makes no sense.  You need to provide us a DETAILED explanation of what happened.

AND, since you probably have that 403B recorded in an investment account in Q, we need to know what you started with and what you ended with.

We also need to know what Q product you're running, what product year, what product build/release, what country and what operating system. 

All of these questions impact what we can suggest in terms of addressing your issue.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Are you employed there? Do you have your 403b setup as an account in Quicken? If they change your investment options then you just enter what actually happens in your account. Like any buys and sells. They might sell one fund and buy another, etc.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Jeff Richards
    Jeff Richards Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017

Jeff,
    We're  other users, and in order to assist you ... you need to assist us.  I agree with Tom that your 1st sentence makes no sense.  You need to provide us a DETAILED explanation of what happened.

AND, since you probably have that 403B recorded in an investment account in Q, we need to know what you started with and what you ended with.

We also need to know what Q product you're running, what product year, what product build/release, what country and what operating system. 

All of these questions impact what we can suggest in terms of addressing your issue.

Sorry about not providing additional information .  I am using Quicken 2017, running Windows  10, live in US .
    I had a 403 B with Berkeley Lab with investments in UC Balance Growth Fund and UC Equity fund.  On 10-2 they changed the funds to similar goals to UC Pathway and UC International Index. 
    This was an " exchange " .  My question in the drop down on transactions in Quicken there is " no exchange " .  How should I record the transactions ?    
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Jeff,

An exchange is usually a sell and a buy.  2 transactions.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Jeff,

What I'm assuming happened here is that the "X" number of shares you held in UC Balance Growth Fund were "transformed" into "Y" number of shares of UC Pathway and something similar occurred with your UC Equity fund vs. the UC International Index fund, with no gain or loss recorded

If that is in fact the case then the "Corporate Acquisition (stock for stock)" action will work for you.  The "Company acquired" is the old fund name.  The "Acquiring company" is the new fund name.  You enter a number in the "New shares issued" [blank] "per share held" that gets you to the correct number of shares in the new fund.

Example:  You had 119.5 shares of the old fund and after the transformation you held 143.4 of the new fund.  The number to enter in the [blank] box is 143.4/119.5 = 1.2
  • Jeff Richards
    Jeff Richards Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017

Jeff,

Tom:
    Thank you for the response . I just want to make sure that these old funds were not acquisitions , they still exist its just the Berkeley Lab has deleted them from the portfolio and replaced them with different investment options.    
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Jeff,

The "right" answer (IMO) is you sell the prior holdings at their 10/2 values per share and buy the new holdings for their 10/2 values per share. You may need to make.small adjustments to the $/share values such that the cash comes out right ($0). The fact that you are selling and buying within a tax-deferred account isolates the gain/loss issues from tax considerations. Selling and buying will (again IMO) provide the most manageable performance information.

There can be further issues if these are or were single mutual fund accounts.
This discussion has been closed.