quicken for Mac 2018 or QM2007

Recommendations re: staying with QM2007 or upgrade to QM2018? I use QM2007 for a small business (10 years of data) and for personal accounts (in a separate Quicken file). I don't want a cloud based system, automatic bill pay or automatic downloads because of security and privacy concerns. I want security and solid features: customizable memorized reports, check printing, exporting reports to Excel files. I prefer to reconcile my accounts from statements, the old fashioned way . But I also want to upgrade my operating system to High Sierra and I've read that QM2007 is not compatible with High Sierra. 

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Though Quicken's official stance is that QM2007 is not compatible with High Sierra...that is not entirely correct. Many users have been successful in using it with HS. The only feature that has proven to be incompatible is Automated Backups IF you store your data on an APFS partition. There is no reported problems if you continue to use an HFS+ partition for the data. For more on this, read:
    Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with High Sierra (macOS 10.13)?

And BTW, based on all that you need, I believe you will find that you will be better off with QM2007 (I and many others still are).

I strongly recommend that you review then add your vote to each requests found on the List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for Mac

This is a special list that draws attention to requests specifically related to this topic. Click the underlined link to visit that page to see the selection and add your VOTE to promote that list, to encourage others to vote. Then click on the links there to vote on the specific requests.

While you are at it, I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

This will help make the transition easier for you when you are ready to upgrade by seeking to have the features you are used to in Quicken end up in the latest version.

To do that click on this underlined linkfollowing the instructions then VOTE to your heart's content. Your VOTES matter! 
    Categorized List of IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If you care to venture there, I suggest that you make sure that Quicken 2018 for Mac will meet your needs, since it is not an upgrade from QM2007 but rather from Quicken Essentials (which was re-written from the ground up, starting in 2010), so there are some features that are still not there e.g. full loan amortization*, 2-line display, QuickMath, or are not as fully developed yet, e.g. Customized Reports, performance reports and stats (therefore some data may not carry over). You can start here:
    https://www.quicken.com/mac/upgrader-compare

*NOTE: Support for fixed rate loans has been released as of  QM2017 v4.5.x but there is no announced timing for support for variable rate or simple daily interest loans.

Currently, the main advantages of QM2018 over QM2007 include the ability to sync cash, bank, and credit card accounts using Quicken Mobile for mobile devices (iOS and Android) and the ability to save receipts with transactions via computer or mobile device. There are a few other minor features that QM2007 does not have. Note that it has been announced that security fixes have ceased for QM2007 since QM2017 was released...see http://www.quicken.com/support/update-quicken-mac-2007-support-policies-may-2016 yet online access will continue as long as the FI/Bank supports it and their security updates don't prevent it.

Please note that QM2018 is now a subscription-based product currently available for 1 year directly from Quicken or 2 yrs from retailers (which are often cheaper than Quicken). (If you are able to find QM2017 which is a pre-subscription product, it is supported until April 2020).

You may want to review the List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for MacAdd your vote to any features that are missing for you. Your VOTES matter!

Be aware of data that will and will not carry forward: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/what-data-gets-carried-over
    Then look at the updates since the original release here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/2018-release-quicken-mac-release-notes
    You will also want to look at a more detailed comparison done by a SuperUser which also identifies nuances not mentioned elsewhere (and read on for comments from other users too on that same discussion thread): 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/can-anyone-who-has-switched-from-2007-to-2015-he...
    Take a look at the following videos to give you a better idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac

Note that there are many differences that are rather subtle, that are not necessarily identifiable via documentation, for example, the 12-month budget feature does not allow including transfers, including investment income, selecting specific accounts, etc.

If you find that QM2018 does not meet your needs, the alternative is to obtain and run QM2007 Lion Compatible (LC), which will run on Mac OS X 10.6.8 to 10.13 High Sierra (so far*). 
    NOTE: If you purchase QM2018, users have reported being able to get QM2007 for free by contacting support. (Note not all reps know enough and you may get turned down at first, so try more than once). Please report back your results if you do try this.
    Some of the cheapest places to purchase it from third party places like Amazon.

* See Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with High Sierra (macOS 10.13)? 
    (Early reports suggest QM2007 works on High Sierra but automatic backups do not seem to work, at least when using the new APFS drive format... but is ok with the HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) format on the boot drive only, NOT on external drives)

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    BTW, I should have asked, what version of Mac OS are using now?

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Debra, it's likely that you'll find Quicken 2018 currently fails to meet your requirement for customizable reports. This is an area the product manager has said is targeted for improvement in the year ahead, but in its current form, there are a number of reports that exist in Quicken 2007 that can't be fully emulated in Quicken 2018.

You can purchase a copy of Quicken 2018 and try it; there's a 30-day window from date of purchase for getting your money back if you find it doesn't meet your needs. My guess, from your description, is that you'll want to hold onto Quicken 2007 for a little longer -- hopefully by a year from now they'll have added enough functionality to 2018 that this won't continue to be true.

Are you sure you need to upgrade your macOS to High Sierra? I'm still on Sierra and have found no compelling reason I need to upgrade. But your needs may be different.

If you do need to be on High Sierra, then most users have said Quicken 2007 works fine for them minus the auto-backup functionality if your Mac gets updated to an APFS-formatted hard drive. But Quicken management has said some users have experienced other problems -- although I don't remember seeing any posted on this forum -- so make sure you have multiple layers of backup and the ability to backtrack should you run into any problems. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    I have a similar situation.  However, I just migrated to QM2018 and really like it.  I am figuring out work-arounds for the lack of reports.  The data transfers perfectly and easily to Excel.  From there I can create the reports I need.  I would highly recommend upgrading to QM 2018.  The layout is much improved over QM2007.  Balancing your checkbook could not be easier.  All in all, I thing it is great, except for the reports issue (which I hope they solve soon).
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Chuck said:

I have a similar situation.  However, I just migrated to QM2018 and really like it.  I am figuring out work-arounds for the lack of reports.  The data transfers perfectly and easily to Excel.  From there I can create the reports I need.  I would highly recommend upgrading to QM 2018.  The layout is much improved over QM2007.  Balancing your checkbook could not be easier.  All in all, I thing it is great, except for the reports issue (which I hope they solve soon).

Balancing your checkbook could not be easier. 
    Actually, for some, it could be a lot easier...for example, a couple of features missing are the 
    Transactions Downloading Acceptance and Matching workflow 
    (
    part of the List of Requests for Downloading Data into Quicken)
    and the ability to Track/store Prior Reconciled Statements/periods 
    (
    part of the List of Requests for Reconciliation Process), among other features.

So YMMV based on a user's needs.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

BTW, I should have asked, what version of Mac OS are using now?

Sierra 10.12.16
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    jacobs said:

Debra, it's likely that you'll find Quicken 2018 currently fails to meet your requirement for customizable reports. This is an area the product manager has said is targeted for improvement in the year ahead, but in its current form, there are a number of reports that exist in Quicken 2007 that can't be fully emulated in Quicken 2018.

You can purchase a copy of Quicken 2018 and try it; there's a 30-day window from date of purchase for getting your money back if you find it doesn't meet your needs. My guess, from your description, is that you'll want to hold onto Quicken 2007 for a little longer -- hopefully by a year from now they'll have added enough functionality to 2018 that this won't continue to be true.

Are you sure you need to upgrade your macOS to High Sierra? I'm still on Sierra and have found no compelling reason I need to upgrade. But your needs may be different.

If you do need to be on High Sierra, then most users have said Quicken 2007 works fine for them minus the auto-backup functionality if your Mac gets updated to an APFS-formatted hard drive. But Quicken management has said some users have experienced other problems -- although I don't remember seeing any posted on this forum -- so make sure you have multiple layers of backup and the ability to backtrack should you run into any problems. 

Jacobs, thank you for your responses. I am going to stick with QM2007 for now, for as long as I can. For something as important as my finances, and my business' finances I don't want to worry about possibly getting back up done wrong, through a mistake on my end. And...the reports in QM2007 that I use, are VERY important! Thank you!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

Though Quicken's official stance is that QM2007 is not compatible with High Sierra...that is not entirely correct. Many users have been successful in using it with HS. The only feature that has proven to be incompatible is Automated Backups IF you store your data on an APFS partition. There is no reported problems if you continue to use an HFS+ partition for the data. For more on this, read:

And BTW, based on all that you need, I believe you will find that you will be better off with QM2007 (I and many others still are).

I strongly recommend that you review then add your vote to each requests found on the List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for Mac

This is a special list that draws attention to requests specifically related to this topic. Click the underlined link to visit that page to see the selection and add your VOTE to promote that list, to encourage others to vote. Then click on the links there to vote on the specific requests.

While you are at it, I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

This will help make the transition easier for you when you are ready to upgrade by seeking to have the features you are used to in Quicken end up in the latest version.

To do that click on this underlined linkfollowing the instructions then VOTE to your heart's content. Your VOTES matter! 

Smayer97, I hear you about the back ups problems. I am capable of manually backing up my file each time I quit out of Quicken, but my data is too important to ask a mistake. My relationship with QM2007 will go past the decade mark! I'm sticking with it. Thank you.  Also, I did vote to include features in QM2018. ;-)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

If you care to venture there, I suggest that you make sure that Quicken 2018 for Mac will meet your needs, since it is not an upgrade from QM2007 but rather from Quicken Essentials (which was re-written from the ground up, starting in 2010), so there are some features that are still not there e.g. full loan amortization*, 2-line display, QuickMath, or are not as fully developed yet, e.g. Customized Reports, performance reports and stats (therefore some data may not carry over). You can start here:
    https://www.quicken.com/mac/upgrader-compare

*NOTE: Support for fixed rate loans has been released as of  QM2017 v4.5.x but there is no announced timing for support for variable rate or simple daily interest loans.

Currently, the main advantages of QM2018 over QM2007 include the ability to sync cash, bank, and credit card accounts using Quicken Mobile for mobile devices (iOS and Android) and the ability to save receipts with transactions via computer or mobile device. There are a few other minor features that QM2007 does not have. Note that it has been announced that security fixes have ceased for QM2007 since QM2017 was released...see http://www.quicken.com/support/update-quicken-mac-2007-support-policies-may-2016 yet online access will continue as long as the FI/Bank supports it and their security updates don't prevent it.

Please note that QM2018 is now a subscription-based product currently available for 1 year directly from Quicken or 2 yrs from retailers (which are often cheaper than Quicken). (If you are able to find QM2017 which is a pre-subscription product, it is supported until April 2020).

You may want to review the List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for MacAdd your vote to any features that are missing for you. Your VOTES matter!

Be aware of data that will and will not carry forward: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/what-data-gets-carried-over
    Then look at the updates since the original release here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/2018-release-quicken-mac-release-notes
    You will also want to look at a more detailed comparison done by a SuperUser which also identifies nuances not mentioned elsewhere (and read on for comments from other users too on that same discussion thread): 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/can-anyone-who-has-switched-from-2007-to-2015-he...
    Take a look at the following videos to give you a better idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac

Note that there are many differences that are rather subtle, that are not necessarily identifiable via documentation, for example, the 12-month budget feature does not allow including transfers, including investment income, selecting specific accounts, etc.

If you find that QM2018 does not meet your needs, the alternative is to obtain and run QM2007 Lion Compatible (LC), which will run on Mac OS X 10.6.8 to 10.13 High Sierra (so far*). 
    NOTE: If you purchase QM2018, users have reported being able to get QM2007 for free by contacting support. (Note not all reps know enough and you may get turned down at first, so try more than once). Please report back your results if you do try this.
    Some of the cheapest places to purchase it from third party places like Amazon.

* See Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with High Sierra (macOS 10.13)? 
    (Early reports suggest QM2007 works on High Sierra but automatic backups do not seem to work, at least when using the new APFS drive format... but is ok with the HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) format on the boot drive only, NOT on external drives)

Thank you again! your detailed response makes my decision so much easier. I am sticking with QM2007.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Chuck said:

Chuck, I'm glad QM2018 is working for you, but I've decided to wait. There are just too many features missing that are very important for the work that I do. Thank you for your input! ;-) 
  • jacobs
    edited November 2017
    jacobs said:

Debra, always remember that you can make additional Quicken 2007 backups in the Finder after you have quit Quicken simply by duplicating your data file. I do this every month or two, rename the backups with the date, and stick them in a folder.

The automated backups by Quicken 2007 will only keep up to the 10 most recent copies; if you open and quit Quicken often, that can be as little as two weeks or less. But corruption in the quicken 2007 database sometimes surfaces much later, so having older backups can be important. If you have Apple's Time Machine backing up your computer all the time, that may suffice, as long as your oldest backups go pretty far back. the alternative is simply making manual copies of your data file and throwing them in a folder, as I do. Just like you, I feel my Quicken data is incredibly important, so it's worth it to me to have multiple levels and types of backups to help if/when trouble strikes.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Chuck said:

BUT to sure to VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Remember that if you want/need High Sierra and your drive gets formatted to APFS and you want the automated backups, you can try creating an HFS+ partition (does not have to be very large). Other users have had success doing this.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Debra, I'm in the same position as you.  I've used Quicken since it was first released for the Mac.  I believe that I've tested every version ever released, but I stopped upgrading at Quicken 2007.  For people like us, the newer versions have generally been dreadful.

Quicken 2018 comes close to being a tolerable replacement for Quicken 2007.  Note that it lacks features which may matter to you.  It's also much slower (and uses much more memory) than Quicken 2007.  If you're accustomed to flying through account registers using keyboard shortcuts, you'll be in for a shock.  Quicken 2018 is ponderous.  You'll be doing lots of waiting and mouse clicking to get your work done.

Casual users with a handful of accounts and a modest number of daily transactions probably won't mind.  In fact, they'd probably prefer Quicken 2018's shiny bling and spinning charts.

But experienced Quicken 2007 users with larger workloads in a business-like environment will likely be unhappy with Quicken 2018.
  • jacobs
    edited January 2018

Debra, I'm in the same position as you.  I've used Quicken since it was first released for the Mac.  I believe that I've tested every version ever released, but I stopped upgrading at Quicken 2007.  For people like us, the newer versions have generally been dreadful.

Quicken 2018 comes close to being a tolerable replacement for Quicken 2007.  Note that it lacks features which may matter to you.  It's also much slower (and uses much more memory) than Quicken 2007.  If you're accustomed to flying through account registers using keyboard shortcuts, you'll be in for a shock.  Quicken 2018 is ponderous.  You'll be doing lots of waiting and mouse clicking to get your work done.

Casual users with a handful of accounts and a modest number of daily transactions probably won't mind.  In fact, they'd probably prefer Quicken 2018's shiny bling and spinning charts.

But experienced Quicken 2007 users with larger workloads in a business-like environment will likely be unhappy with Quicken 2018.

The speed issues seem to vary pretty wildly among Quicken users. I'm a Quicken 2007 user with more than two decades of data. For me, Quicken 2018 is annoyingly slow to launch, but entering transactions is not too bad, speed-wise. Switching between registers has a little time lag, but it's not to bad (except when switching to investment registers if they're in Portfolio view, which is annoyingly slow). And some smaller data entry features (like QuickMath) and user interface refinements (like being able to set command keys to switch between registers) from Quicken 2007 still don't exist in Quicken 2018. I realize different users with different size data files may be experiencing different results, so I can only speak for myself.

I think the developers over the past few years have been more focused on adding missing features than spending time refining existing ones for utility or speed, except in a few cases where there have been lots of user complaints. And honestly, as much as I wish Quicken 2018 were as fast and facile as Quicken 2007, that's probably the correct prioritization. I certainly hope that as the list of key missing features shrinks in size over the next couple years, that they will go back and address some of the many smaller usability issues that users have asked them to enhance. 

P.S. I don't think *any* users appreciate the "shiny bling and spinning charts"! They're mostly a vestige of the short period when Intuit hired the head of Mint to run the Quicken division, and his team "Mint-ized" the creation of Quicken Essentials. He moved on pretty quickly, and Essentials was an incomplete mess -- but that code base from a decade ago does form the core of the current Quicken Mac product. The developers certainly haven't spent much time taking *out* some of the bling from Essentials. (And there probably are a small number of users who would complain if they did. One of the great lessons from re-writing Quicken from scratch has been that there is some user somewhere for feature ever created, and so there will be someone annoyed if it's no longer there. I think when the current Mac development  team started creating this generation of the Mac product (starting with Quicken 2015), they probably envisioned creating a leaner program without the need to re-create all the depth of features in Quicken 2007 -- but it turns out that there are long-time users who do use and want all those features.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

I SO agree with you on the bling - completely unnecessary! A little jazz with my numbers might make things more fun, but not if I have to sift through layers of bling to see them. Thank you for your input. Still sticking with Quicken 2007! I am shocked that QuickMath is not in the newest version - that feature is one I use a lot.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

Jeff, thank you, I appreciate your input. I am still sticking with Quicken 2007.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

You can add your VOTE for QuickMath functionality.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

• NYCDOC
    NYCDOC Member
    Still using Quicken for Mac 2007 with Sierra. Have data going back to the early '90's. Have no plan to upgrade until they have all of the features (reports, etc.) that I need. Investment downloads work perfectly.
This discussion has been closed.