Suggestion: navigating split transactions with arrow keys (19 Legacy Votes)

Please allow me to use the keyboard arrow keys to navigate a split transaction.  When I have to update my paycheck each month with 15 splits, it is a real pain having to use the touchpad to select and edit each field.  I end up just hitting the tab key 5 times after changing each amount to get to the next entry.  If I could just hit the down arrow to move down to the next amount to edit it would save so much time.  I think the windows version worked like this as I don't remember having this issue.  Also when you arrow down, go ahead and highlight the entire cell so I can start typing right away and the old amount gets erased
5 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    This sounds like an excellent idea.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Any update on this, I am now on the latest version of 2018 and still nothing.  This does not seem that hard and there are many other posts on this
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017

Any update on this, I am now on the latest version of 2018 and still nothing.  This does not seem that hard and there are many other posts on this

Jeff, welcome to the slow process of enhancements for Quicken Mac! ;)  It's not that the developers don't care, or aren't working hard to make improvements, it's that there are HUNDREDS of requests for tweaks and new features, and development is slow. And priority is generally going toward implementing features which are missing from Quicken Mac over those which would improve the user interface in subtle ways. But sometimes when they need to open up one area of the program for a code change, they may roll in some smaller requested tweaks in the same area of code.

That all said, this tweak could show up tomorrow, or not for two years; we have no way of knowing, as they almost never reveal what enhancements they're working on.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jschaffe
    jschaffe Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Make down arrow move to amount field on next split line.

When creating or editing a split transaction, I often have the same split items time after time.  In Q2007, I could place the cursor on an amount in the split list, edit the number, and push the down arrow to get to the amount field on the next split line.  This doesn't work in Q18.  I think it would be very convenient to use the up and down arrows to move to the same field on the previous or next split line.
  • Rod Everett
    Rod Everett Member ✭✭
    Please enable moving from split line to split line with the arrow up/down keys the way that it was in older Quicken. When dealing with a transaction with many split lines it is frustrating to have to tab from cell to cell, then to the next line.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

Fellow Quicken users who want to see this functionality added need to vote for this idea for it to have enough votes for consideration by the developers. (Vote by going to the top of the page, finding the yellow box under the first post, and clicking the little dark gray arrow under the vote counter.)

This is one of several of requests for enhancements to the user interface for transaction splits. Others include being able to change the order of split lines, and having the splits show the same columns and column widths as the register. Click those links to view and add your vote for those features as well. Hopefully the developers will tackle all the splits user interface requests in one swoop; more votes for the ideas can help.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993