same license combination mac and windows

Husband owns Quicken 2017 for windows. I have a mac. Can we share the license? He got it on download, and only has it on 1 computer. I want to put it on my computer too (same household) but I have a mac.  Can he just re-download it but get the mac version for me?  Thanks

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    FWIW, even if you installed Quicken 2017 for Mac, the data is not compatible between the 2 versions.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    What is your objective? Do you want to share the same data file or create a new separate independent data file? 

If the first, then as Greg the Geek points out, the data files are not compatible and cannot be shared across platforms. You would have to run QW2017 in a virtual machine on the Mac. The QW2017 license allows you to run it on up to 3 computers in the same household.

If the second, then 2017 license is only good for the platform purchase, in your case, Windows, so you would need a new license for the Mac version. 

That said, 2018 now gives you a license to get both the Windows and Mac versions for one price. Note that this still does not address the compatibility issue. And note that QMac is still quite different than QWin....

I also suggest that you make sure that Quicken 2018 for Mac will meet your needs, since it was re-written from the ground up (first with Quicken Essentials in 2010, then again with QM2015 onward) and is not the same product as the Windows version, so there are some features that are still not there e.g. full loan amortization*, 2-line display, QuickMath, or are not as fully developed yet, e.g. Customized Reports, some investment performance reports and stats  (therefore some data may not carry over). You can start here: *NOTE: Support for fixed rate loans has been released as of  QM2017 v4.5.x but there is no announced timing for support for variable rate or simple daily interest loans.

Then look at the updates since the original release here:https://www.quicken.com/support/2018-release-quicken-mac-release-notes
    You will also want to look at a more detailed comparison done by a SuperUser which also identifies nuances not mentioned elsewhere (and read on for comments from other users too on that same discussion thread): 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/can-anyone-who-has-switched-from-2007-to-2015-he...
    Take a look at the following videos to give you a better idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac

Note that there are many differences that are rather subtle, that are not necessarily identifiable via documentation, for example, the 12-month budget feature does not allow including transfers, including investment income, selecting specific accounts,  or have rollover capability.

If you find that QM2018 does not meet your needs, the alternative is to run Quicken for Windows in a virtual machine on your Mac. There are 5 popular products you can use: Parallels, VMWare Fusion, Oracle VirtualBox, Bootcamp or CrossOver. The first 4 require you to also buy a copy of Windows. The first 2 cost $50-80, the third and forth are free. CrossOver also costs about $50-$80 but does NOT require you to buy Windows.

If you plan to keep your PC & Mac, you could also run Quicken on the PC and use remote access (several free options, e.g. NoMachine and Teamviewer) to access Quicken from your Mac  (or even a tablet or phone) (see this great article for complete review of many options (most are free): http://machow2.com/rdp-for-mac/ ).

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    Sarah, if it got lost in all the information in the above responses, let me make clear that with Quicken 2017, the Mac and Windows versions had to be purchased separately. Only with the launch of Quicken 2018 did they make it so users could download both versions for one purchase price. So to answer your original question, no, your husband owning Quicken 2017 for Windows does not allow him to obtain Quicken Mac for you to install.

And, as others have noted, even if you did get a copy of the Mac version, the Mac and Windows products don't share the same data file. Unless you each want to keep your own, independent Quicken data file, you can't share one data file between Mc and Windows versions. (You can migrate from Windows to Mac, but it's a one-way conversion.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    jacobs said:

Sarah, if it got lost in all the information in the above responses, let me make clear that with Quicken 2017, the Mac and Windows versions had to be purchased separately. Only with the launch of Quicken 2018 did they make it so users could download both versions for one purchase price. So to answer your original question, no, your husband owning Quicken 2017 for Windows does not allow him to obtain Quicken Mac for you to install.

And, as others have noted, even if you did get a copy of the Mac version, the Mac and Windows products don't share the same data file. Unless you each want to keep your own, independent Quicken data file, you can't share one data file between Mc and Windows versions. (You can migrate from Windows to Mac, but it's a one-way conversion.)

Thanks. We ended up getting a new version 2018.  He has a mac too ( in addition to the windows).  He says the mac version not quite as robust but that's ok.
This discussion has been closed.