2018 mac subscription

Can I Upgrade without having to pay a yearly fee?

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    You can buy a 2-year subscription.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    I don't want to buy any subscription or have it online. I just want to be able to download my transactions and balance the accounts. Can I do that?
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

I don't want to buy any subscription or have it online. I just want to be able to download my transactions and balance the accounts. Can I do that?

Subscription is the only purchase option for Q2018. The Q2018 version is no more online than prior year versions are.

What version are you currently using?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018

2015 for Mac. If I don't upgrade can I still download transactions and import...just not using thr connect inside the program I can't afford to keep upgtading...I download and reconcile a frw times a year.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Downloading data is part of the online functionality. As of QM2015, all online functionality expires. It used to be for 3 1/2 yrs from initial release. With the subscription model, this has been reduced to 12 to 27 months, depending on which subscription you purchase.

Note that as long as you do not purchase the Starter Edition, your data will not become read-only when it expires, allowing you to still edit and add data manually. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018

Jennifer, the download functionality in your Quicken 2015 will end on April 30. That includes being able to import transactions you download manually from your bank.

It takes a programming team at Quicken to keep up with financial institution changes, and there are servers and support people needed -- so they have charge in some way to maintain these services. In the past, they sold the program with download capabilities for three years. Many customers missed out on fixes and enhancements to the program waiting three years between upgrades, and they had to develop and maintain fixes for each of the different products spanning four years of releases. Now, they've switched to a subscription system where you can purchase one or two years at a time; everyone gets upgrades sooner, and they have fewer versions to support.

I understand you may not want to pay. You can continue to use your Quicken 2015 after April 30 by entering your transactions manually. For some people, this is no problem; for others, it's unthinkable. If you have a limited number of transactions such that you only use Quicken a few times a year, this may be workable for you -- but only you can judge whether your usage of Quicken can work if you manually enter your transactions.

But that's the choice: enter your transactions manually, or pay to continue receiving download services. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.