Effect of Adding Shares on IRR

moski
moski Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in Investing (Mac)
When moving shares between accounts using the Add Shares function, this hyper inflates the IRR calculations for the Year 1 IRR and Year 1 ROI numbers. I can select both the former and current accounts in which these shares are located to see an overall history for the security, and the ROI looks right in Portfolio view. But in Performance view the first years IRR and ROI% numbers are over 100%. I think this is because I added the shares with a cost value and somehow the system is recording this as a payment.  Is there a way around this? I thought of recording it as a sell/buy transaction but then that would mess up the account values because I'd also have to transfer the moneys associated with these transactions between accounts.  Any ideas?

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Moski,

Sorry you're experiencing this difficulty.

I would review the discussion here https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-mac-portfolio-view-amount-invested.

Is this issue similar to what you are seeing?

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • moski
    moski Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    No, that's not what I'm talking about.  Since QM2018 doesn't have the ability to "move shares" from one account to another, I had to just Remove and then Add Shares in order to do this.  This seems to throw off the IRR calculation for this first year...I just did this last month. The screenshot shows a combined view of both the old and new accounts. The IRR for later years seems more reasonable, although difficult to determine exactly. The the first year IRR and ROI% is wildly skewed, as though it was registering a massive cash influx during this year. Even though when I Added the shares I entered the correct cost and actual purchase date, I wonder if this is getting factored into the calculation.

• therbert
    therbert Unconfirmed ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    i'm having same issue.  the inability to transfer shares is frustrating.  the new account has no cost history.  and manually adding it is... wickedly time consuming and wouldn't show long and short term gain / losses correctly. 

and . i don't know how you're grouping 2 accounts in this screen shot.  please , please share.  

also, any way to get investment reports?

hoping you can help!
  • moski
    moski Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I can tell you how to show multiple accounts in one view. I stumbled across the feature...wasn't something I found in documentation.  But it's pretty simple. In the leftmost Accounts panel, just select the "Investing" line (or "Brokerage" or "Retirement" if you want to limit it to those accounts). This will provide the graph, Performance and Portfolio views for all the accounts together. Then, if you see in the screenshot I posted, you are given a drop down menu below the graph that allows you to select and deselect the accounts that you want to include in the view.  That's the best way to see the performance of securities that have been moved from one account to another (or probably, that exist in more than one account, although I don't have that situation so I can't test it).

Hope that helps! 
  • therbert
    therbert Unconfirmed ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    i am not getting that drop down menu.  are you using quicken for mac?
  • moski
    moski Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yes, I am using QM2018.  If you click on the "Investing" word above all your brokerage accounts, this will cause the system to group all the accounts together so you will see the graph, the Portfolio and the Transactions views across all your accounts. This also causes the dropdown to appear, so you can then individually select accounts you want to see.  You won't see this if you select any single account.
  • therbert
    therbert Unconfirmed ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Must be a 2018 feature. No drop down in 2017. Any other reason to upgrade? Ability to transfer shares? Merge accounts? Merge accounts ?Investment reports? I have dreams. I even tried to export file and import to windows. I’ve done that before as windows has the feature. But now when you export to qxf file the investment accounts and transactions don’t come over. Very frustrating But hoping you or someone has a solution!
  • moski
    moski Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I never had QM2017 so I can't say for sure what's changed between that and QM2018. I came over directly from QM207.  There is quite a lot here in the forums that describes the differences. I do think reporting and overall improvements in the investment areas were part of the upgrade.  From my perspective, there are still some important things missing from QM2007 in the Investments area, such as the ability to move shares between accounts and thus avoid the problem that started this thread. But I have learned to like the overall program and see the potential for it becoming much better than QM2007 was. I especially like the focus on on-line access to the accounts to that things update much more regularly.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    moski said:

I never had QM2017 so I can't say for sure what's changed between that and QM2018. I came over directly from QM207.  There is quite a lot here in the forums that describes the differences. I do think reporting and overall improvements in the investment areas were part of the upgrade.  From my perspective, there are still some important things missing from QM2007 in the Investments area, such as the ability to move shares between accounts and thus avoid the problem that started this thread. But I have learned to like the overall program and see the potential for it becoming much better than QM2007 was. I especially like the focus on on-line access to the accounts to that things update much more regularly.

I agree that QM2018 has the 'potential' for becoming much better than QM2007...but still has a long way to go...for the issue you raised, you can add your VOTE to Add Ability to Transfer Shares between Investment Accounts.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests Related to Investments. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    therbert said:

i'm having same issue.  the inability to transfer shares is frustrating.  the new account has no cost history.  and manually adding it is... wickedly time consuming and wouldn't show long and short term gain / losses correctly. 

and . i don't know how you're grouping 2 accounts in this screen shot.  please , please share.  

also, any way to get investment reports?

hoping you can help!

Have to agree the inability to transfer shares is a major problem. It would be nice to hear from the folks at Quicken as to when this might be implemented
This discussion has been closed.