Merging Quicken Premier 2018 Mac files

I need to merge two different Quicken Mac Premier 2018, have not been able to find the way to do it. The file to be merged into the main file contains investment data. QXF format does not work; the account is created as part of the import process but the transactions are not imported.

Searching through the notes in the forum, found this old article:
https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/how-to-merge-two-quicken-files
which apparently applies only to Quicken Windows (was posted on the Quicken for Windows community) and also is likely outdated because it describes a process using the QIF format.

I am looking to transfer between Quicken files; one would assume that such capability is available. Any advice highly appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Jaime,

Sorry you're experiencing this trouble.

Do you have investment accounts in both files?

It is true that investment accounts don't transfer using the QXF format, are you able to merge the second file into the file with the investment accounts?

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Thanks for addressing my question. Yes, I have investment accounts in the second file as well. I have been able to merge other type of accounts through QXF. I need the capability for investment accounts.

I hope there is an answer. Otherwise, it would be a major drawback.

Thanks again. 
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thank you for responding.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other steps to merge these 2 files.

Hopefully another user can chime in with an idea.

-Quicken Tyka 
    ~~~***~~~
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    This is surprisingly disappointing; these are files in the same program, the expectation is that this ability should be a feature supported by Quicken. If not now, it should be in a very near future.
    Can this capability be recorded as a request for necessary functionality?

Thanks again.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    What versions of Quicken created these source QFX files?

The Mac side QFX handles investments, so you should be able to merge if the source files were created on that platform.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    John, as I mentioned in the original description, these are Quicken Mac Premier 2018 files. Both files are in the same version of Quicken.
    The problem I am encountering is that the QFX file created from one of these files in Quicken Mac Premier 2018, with data from an investment account, is not imported into the other Quicken Mac Premier 2018 file. An account is created in the target file, but no transactions. I just checked the log file from the import process, it contains messages indicating categories that were not created because they already exist, but no reference to the transactions. 

Any suggestions on what I can do? The generation of the QFX file could be failing?

Thanks.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Use the file that already has all your investment transactions and just merge the non-investment accounts into THAT file. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Jaime said:

John, as I mentioned in the original description, these are Quicken Mac Premier 2018 files. Both files are in the same version of Quicken.
    The problem I am encountering is that the QFX file created from one of these files in Quicken Mac Premier 2018, with data from an investment account, is not imported into the other Quicken Mac Premier 2018 file. An account is created in the target file, but no transactions. I just checked the log file from the import process, it contains messages indicating categories that were not created because they already exist, but no reference to the transactions. 

Any suggestions on what I can do? The generation of the QFX file could be failing?

Thanks.

Just to be clear, the transfer file between Quicken data files is QXF. QFX is used for downloading data from FIs/Banks.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Jaime said:

Thanks.

Yes, that's correct.. apologies for the confusion.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018

Use the file that already has all your investment transactions and just merge the non-investment accounts into THAT file. 

I cannot do that. Both files have investment accounts. That's the reason for my question. 
    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.