Highlighted Transactions look like they have an attachment even if they don't (8 Legacy Vote)

The paperclip icon which signifies an attachment shows up for highlighted transactions even if they don't have an attachment.  This is annoying because often I want to know whether the transaction I'm focused on has an attachment, but I can't tell for sure until I click onto a different transaction.  At least this is the case for Quicken - Deluxe 2018 R7.5 Build 27.1.7.5 on Windows 10.
5 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• GeoDosch
    GeoDosch Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    When looking at a register, entries that have an attached document show a paper clip. However, if I have an entry selected, it shows the exact same paper clip whether or not a document is attached. In order to tell if the entry I'm on has an attachment, I must move to another entry, or hover the mouse pointer over the paper clip to see if the tool tip says "Attachment" or "Add an attachment". This often occurs if the register entry was accessed via a search, or by a report entry, since it is already selected when you get to the register.

The 'Note' feature shows a flag icon with a "+" if there is no note, and a note icon if one already exists. I would like the attachment icon to have similar behavior (a paper clip with a "+"??? Just spit-balling here.)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'm using Quicken 2016 and the attachment icon is a paper clip and the add attachment icon is a paper clip with a +.  

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I'm using Quicken 2016 and the attachment icon is a paper clip and the add attachment icon is a paper clip with a +.  

In QW2018 there is no + next to the paper clip no matter how hard I squint at it.

There is hover text, though. If an attachment exists, it says "Attachment". If no attachment exists, it says "Add an attachment".

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I suggest you hover the cursor over the clip icon.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Thanks for the tip.  The Tooltip will help me, but I'd still prefer for the paperclip to not even show up there.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Thanks for the tip.  The Tooltip will help me, but I'd still prefer for the paperclip to not even show up there.

I can't explain why Quicken developers chose to change the Add Attachment icon button so that it is indistinguishable with the Attachment icon button in Quicken 2018.  Hopefully, they'll change it back someday.

Personally, I avoid saving attachments in the datafile as they consume space and are not manageable.  
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Look at this screenshot carefully.  The top paperclip is an attachment, the bottom one is the highlighted line showing where to click to add an attachment.

It is slight, but they are different icons, the top one is smaller than the lower one.  Even if it on a highlighted line, it is still smaller.  Making one a different color would be really nice and easy to distinguish between.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Look at this screenshot carefully.  The top paperclip is an attachment, the bottom one is the highlighted line showing where to click to add an attachment.

It is slight, but they are different icons, the top one is smaller than the lower one.  Even if it on a highlighted line, it is still smaller.  Making one a different color would be really nice and easy to distinguish between.

I agree they are slightly different icons, so someone was on the right track, they're just not different enough to not cause an issue for me when I'm working in the program.

Also since they are different icons already is seems like this should be an easy issue to fix, just modify one of the icons... more.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Also when I have a single transaction with an attachment highlighted,
    it's impossible for me to remember at that moment which icon represents a
    file has or has not yet been attached. the slightly bigger one or the
    slightly smaller one?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Here's what the Add Attachment icon used to look like in Quicken 2016:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

YES!  a plus sign would be perfect.  That's what I want.
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I LIKEd Sherlock's comment - but, I actually only 50% LIKE it... I fully concur with the first point... but I use the attachment feature extensively and don't have any issues with the space consumption matter. The attachment feature is one of the most important features in Quicken for me. It has saved my bacon in terms of warranties and product returns to alone justify the cost of Quicken... over and over again.

Yes, Quicken, please, please fix the issue the OP raised... and which others have raised previously.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

@Brad

I wish you all the luck with your idea of changed icons.  In 2017, they came up with these terrible flat looking, colorless icons and with subscription Quicken they added a little (very little) color back, but they still are bland and in your example, all too similar.

I have voted it up and hope it gets some attention.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Arctic Hare, I certainly keep appropriate documents too but I maintain them in secure backed up folders where I am able to able search, sort, organize, copy, mail, print, delete, etc.   Regarding space, you do realize every datafile backup is replicating the attachments... over and over again.
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

@ Sherlock: I shoot a 36 MP DSLR that is capable of shooting continuously at 6 FPS... and I have kids that are constantly in motion. My Quicken data file and the related backups are inconsequential to my hard drive space consumption. That’s my unique use case. Other’s use cases and hardware capabilities/limitations may be entirely different.
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, it will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to add your vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are the snows votes of yesteryear?
    This is a real, if small, GUI issue. It was OK in '16, then it got broken. Hard to imagine an easier thing to fix.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• GlenP
    GlenP Member
    Oh hey! Just was alerted to this post after having posted the same idea/issue in a new post.

Wow, it's been on the radar since at least 2018?

Well I hope Quicken can do something about this issue. It's been annoying me for years, before I finally overcame my procrastination to make a request to fix it post.

It's incredibly annoying to not know whether the transaction you are focused on actually has an attachment on it or not, because the Paperclip icon appears regardless when you have a transaction selected. Only once you un-select the transaction do you know for sure (the icon stays or disappears if there is no attachment).

Glad to know others have been aggravated by this too!
  • Mike O'Brien
    Mike O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    Arctic Hare - I wasn't sure how to reach you, but you have helped me in the past with your 20 step fix as well as your method for eliminating or bulk deleting duplicate downloaded transactions. If this reaches you, could you help me again with that. I have several Schwab accounts, and Quicken recently did a special update to those accounts as their Express Web Connect + wasn't updating for about a week. When I finally got that update and did a download, one of the accounts had about 1400 duplicate transactions. Then I realized the bulk delete fix didn't work for investment accounts as there is no register sort order in that menu. My questions are whether there is any bulk delete work around for such an investment account, whether your 20 step fix has any application in this situation and whether there is a difference between Express Web Connect and the Express Web Connect+ that Schwab uses. Thanks much. Mike O'Brien