Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.6.x Released

Comments

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    Mike Lane said:

Still watching for a correct to the traded options display.  The options cost basis on portfolio view is 100 times the entry in transaction view.  Transactions are entered cost per option.  After entry each option converts to 100 shares each.  The cost in transaction is adjusted.  However in portfolio the shares are multiplied by the option price. A $300 cost becomes $30,000 cost.  I don't enter options anymore until the contracts are closed or expire.  Disappointed again but appreciate the other improvements. 

The options issues should be well known to the folks at Quicken, I have dealt with this ever since converting from QW 13 to QM 16..
  • Chaos Unlimited
    Chaos Unlimited Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Katherine said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken Premier 2018 5.6.0 for the Mac is so slow it is unusable.

I upgraded to 2018 but with the latest release, Quicken 2018 for the Mac (5.6.0) takes 20-40 seconds when I try to save/update a transaction. Mac is running 10.13.3.  I tried to rename the file (didn't help), save it to a non iCloud folder (didn't help), turned off wifi (reduced time a bit but still 15 seconds per transaction). Anyone have any other suggestions?

I am having the same issue as Katherine.  Quicken Premier for Mac 2018 v5.6.1 Mac OS 10.13.4.  When I add an entry into any account, it takes 10 seconds until it displays anything I typed.  Then response is fine until I save the entry.  After entry it takes, 15-20 seconds until I can make my next entry.  Behavior started with v5.5.x and has gotten worse with version 5.6 to the point where it is almost unusable.  

I shutdown, rebooted and retried with Quicken as the only active program.  I still get the spinning ball when doing any entries. 

I started watching Activity Monitor in a side window.  With each transaction, Quicken goes from less than 1% of the CPU to 100% and stays at 100% until the spinning ball stops after which Quicken returns to 1% or less of the CPU.

I did not see an answer for Katherine's (or my) problem.
  • Chaos Unlimited
    Chaos Unlimited Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Katherine said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken Premier 2018 5.6.0 for the Mac is so slow it is unusable.

I upgraded to 2018 but with the latest release, Quicken 2018 for the Mac (5.6.0) takes 20-40 seconds when I try to save/update a transaction. Mac is running 10.13.3.  I tried to rename the file (didn't help), save it to a non iCloud folder (didn't help), turned off wifi (reduced time a bit but still 15 seconds per transaction). Anyone have any other suggestions?

I was exploring around in the menus and I found that I had two account windows open in the background.  One was an investment account window in portfolio view that had to be recalculated after every entry.  After I closed the two windows, Quicken was back to normal.  

Thank you to Quicken Marcus who listed this situation in his post and Rick O who explained the reason why a portfolio view graph would tie up the CPU.  

Since I normally use Quicken in full screen mode, I did not think I had any open windows in the background, but there were two lurking behind my full screen.

Here is how to find if you have an open window in the background.  Click on the "Window" menu. The names of any open background window will appear at the bottom of the menu.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    I cannot download from two of my credit card accounts (which is as far as I have gotten).  What am I doing wrong.  If i want to continue using Quicken (not Quicken books for small business) then I must now pay $15 a month for what I have not ever had to pay monthly before.  Why is this?
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

I cannot download from two of my credit card accounts (which is as far as I have gotten).  What am I doing wrong.  If i want to continue using Quicken (not Quicken books for small business) then I must now pay $15 a month for what I have not ever had to pay monthly before.  Why is this?

Hello jbutler731, appreciate your question.

Are you using Quicken for Mac? 

Please let us know so that we can best help you.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • James Griffin
    James Griffin Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    After upgrading to Version 5.6.1 (Build 56.22375.100), manual data entry in accounts has slowed to a crawl!  I don't suppose there's a way to downgrade, is there, after the data file has been upgraded?
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018

After upgrading to Version 5.6.1 (Build 56.22375.100), manual data entry in accounts has slowed to a crawl!  I don't suppose there's a way to downgrade, is there, after the data file has been upgraded?

James,

Click the menu Window, look at the bottom of the list and see if you have any windows open in the background. If so, switch to the window and close it. Background windows can cause slow data entry.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    For one of the next updates, PLEASE let us set a default register layout...and/or let us copy the layout from one register to another, like the Windows version can.  I am tired of having to manually and precisely adjust column sizes and layouts when I add new accounts.  Thank you.
  • RickO
    edited May 2018
    mryan69 said:

For one of the next updates, PLEASE let us set a default register layout...and/or let us copy the layout from one register to another, like the Windows version can.  I am tired of having to manually and precisely adjust column sizes and layouts when I add new accounts.  Thank you.

myran69...

This is a popular request. Please go to the link below and VOTE for it. You must click the VOTE button, upper right, for your vote to count.

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-set-default-columns-and-sizes-to-...
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    mryan69 said:

Thanks Rick!  I voted, as suggested.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    mryan69 said:

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for User Interface Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    jacobs said:

Marcus, another Reports UI comment: when I create a New Report, the first thing it asks me to do is name the report. That has always seemed odd to me, as I often generate Quicken reports on the fly and don't want to save or name them. If I don't type a name, Quicken names it for me: "Category Transaction 4" or similar, which is okay. But here's the real problem: the Customize dialog box has a checkbox for "Save as Custom Report" -- but every report a user generates is being saved from the instant it's created. My Reports menu is littered with quick one-time reports I don't need again, but haven't taken time to go back and delete. Why save every report, when there's already an option to Save as Custom Report for those reports a user wants to save? Why not allow reports created on the fly to be unnamed and unsaved, and require entry of a name only if and when a user wants to save the report?

Thanks for all of the great discussion on this topic and a link to the idea page.  I personally think we should make Search better (usable) so it can take the place of an ad hoc report.  This would mean making it fast (which doesn't appear to be working for people with large datasets) and include all the same filtering abilities that reports give you today and of course the things that people have requested.  Also, I think it should search on  columns that don't appear in the register.  Anyway, I definitely see the use cases for ad-hoc reports and will give it more thought.  Thanks for the detailed explanation.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018

Still Sloooooow to Launch.  I had high hopes QM 5.6 would fix the very slow initial launch issue.  But, alas, for me it is still as slow as ever.  In fact I believe QM 5.6 is actually slower than 5.5.7 to launch - can it be possible.  I used to launch Quicken, go and brew a cup of tea in the microwave for 2 minutes 20 seconds and when I returned my file was just opening.  Now I do the same thing but when I return I still have to wait for the file to open.  I also notice that I don't get an indication that Quicken is launching.  By that I mean no bouncing dock icon, no spinning beachball, nothing - just wait and hope.  I am thinking about rolling back to 5.5.7 (because its slowness was faster) but don't know if I can since the data file was updated.  Or, I guess I will have to wait for QM 5.7 and hope the team has figured this problem out.  As a reminded this slowness is only for the initial launch after I start may computer for the day or after a restart.  Any relaunch after the initial is very fast (5-10 seconds).  What gives?

Thanks for letting me know.  I may ask some of you for additional help to narrow down the issue.  The other thing that just came to mind is that load times can be impacted by the last page you looked at.  For example, we know that investments is slow so if that's the page Quicken is trying to load when it's launching, your launch time will include the time it takes to render that screen.  To test, make sure you quit while looking at a simple banking register.  When you relaunch, if it still takes a long time to load, then it is an issue in the launch time and not the page.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    Mark said:

I upgraded to 5.6.0 on Quicken 2018 for Mac from the most recent prior version. It has not played nice with my data. It deleted several transactions from over a year ago in my checking account, so tracking those down has taken a fair bit of time. One of my brokerage accounts now has an erroneous balance and I'll be tackling that next.  I have a lot of data going back to 2004. Something is wrong when upgrades cause me have to comb through all that data to find issues the upgrade has created. And then there's the question of, what else happened that I haven't discovered, and may not for some time. I appreciate the improvements, but it's a heckuva price to pay. [Side note: once I saw the out of whack balances, I went back to an earlier backup of the data file, and upgraded that one, and it too had deleted transactions, but they were different from the first upgrade. But they were all over a year old.]

Great questions.  I'm not sure we write out the log but I think if you have the console running while we migrate your file you might be able to see the changes being written to that view.  If we don't log them to a file, I'll see if we can start doing that.  In regards to the memo field, I'm not sure if all of the changes look like this, but I see that for at least one of them the phrase we add starts with "ALERT: "
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018

After the 5.6 update, it broke my ability to download transactions from my bank. I waited a few days to see if it was just a momentary glitch. When the problem continued, it was the weekend, so I used the chat support. They acknowledged that the problem was the update, and told me that I'd receive an email when a fix was found. I waited an additional day, then had another chat. Same thing.

Today, having waited for a fix and not having received anything from Quicken, I called, since it was Monday. The very helpful woman said that the fix had been found yesterday, and that it involved exporting the data file, deleting that install, and then downloading the software again, and re-importing --- all basically to "rollback" to the previous update. So, she walked me through that process.

But, she acknowledged, she did not know of any attempt to send out emails to people, like myself, who'd called in or had chat sessions.

Along the way, we discovered that although the export / import process did save much of the data, certain things were lost:

All my transaction download settings had to be re-setup from scratch (about a 20 min process, since I had multiple accounts.)

In the process, we discovered that the auto loan account was essentially starting from scratch, and all transaction history for my auto loan account was lost.

Also, certain transactions in my checking account, like the original balance, were lost. I had to cheat by creating an adjustment transaction to get it to balance.

Also, my entire budget history was lost. Gone. All my previous months and years of budgets --- poof!

HUGE bonehead move on the part of Quicken. I can't imagine the hell you guys must be going through if millions of customers have suffered similar data loss.

i'd join a class action lawsuit, if one got going.

rph9, in regards to the conflicted data files, I'm not sure.  The files I mentioned in another thread were in the "converted" folder.  I'm not sure I know what the conflicted data files are.  I'll reach out to you directly. 

David, there's a bunch of CapOne stuff we're doing in support of a connectivity change going on in June.  I don't know if stuff is getting broken at the Intuit side of things because of all the changes we're making but it's possible.  The changes we've made should not impact your current connection so I'm not sure why you're seeing issues.  I have a Cap One 360 account and I'm not currently seeing any problems but I think that's a different connection than their credit cards. I believe Cap One blocks connections for security reasons but again I don't know what type of error you would see in the Account Status window.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    Katherine said:

Chaos, thanks so much for posting an update about the fix you found.  This helps everyone in the community when customers come back, even though they don't have to, to report solutions.  We really appreciate it and I know other customers do too.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    jacobs said:

Marcus, another Reports UI comment: when I create a New Report, the first thing it asks me to do is name the report. That has always seemed odd to me, as I often generate Quicken reports on the fly and don't want to save or name them. If I don't type a name, Quicken names it for me: "Category Transaction 4" or similar, which is okay. But here's the real problem: the Customize dialog box has a checkbox for "Save as Custom Report" -- but every report a user generates is being saved from the instant it's created. My Reports menu is littered with quick one-time reports I don't need again, but haven't taken time to go back and delete. Why save every report, when there's already an option to Save as Custom Report for those reports a user wants to save? Why not allow reports created on the fly to be unnamed and unsaved, and require entry of a name only if and when a user wants to save the report?

Please keep in mind that if you make Registers Searches used for ad hoc reporting, this limits users from being able to create reports while at the same time be able to analyse the content in registers for analysis... So as long as any plan includes being able to do both AT THE SAME TIME, that would be ok. That is effectively what Quick Reports allow one to do...In QM2007 it is more versatile, in QM2018 it is still very limited.

I suggest that because users work differently, both are useful... better searching AND better ad hoc reports (aka Quick Reports).

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken 2018 for Mac v.5.6.1 repeatedly fails to open.

Every time I want to open Quicken, either nothing happens or I get a spinning wheel. When I control click on the Quicken icon I get the message that Quicken is not responding. I have to Force-Quit. Re-open and usually have to do this two or three times. I have downloaded the Contents.sip file and replaced the original Not helpful. I updated to the latest version. No help. This problem seems to have started when I migrated to another computer using a compressed file for data.
  • RickO
    edited May 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken 2018 for Mac v.5.6.1 repeatedly fails to open.

Every time I want to open Quicken, either nothing happens or I get a spinning wheel. When I control click on the Quicken icon I get the message that Quicken is not responding. I have to Force-Quit. Re-open and usually have to do this two or three times. I have downloaded the Contents.sip file and replaced the original Not helpful. I updated to the latest version. No help. This problem seems to have started when I migrated to another computer using a compressed file for data.

Do you have a backup of your file that you can try?

To keep Quicken from trying to open the possibly damaged file, hold the SHIFT key while launching Quicken.
  • Mike Lane
    Mike Lane Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

After the 5.6 update, it broke my ability to download transactions from my bank. I waited a few days to see if it was just a momentary glitch. When the problem continued, it was the weekend, so I used the chat support. They acknowledged that the problem was the update, and told me that I'd receive an email when a fix was found. I waited an additional day, then had another chat. Same thing.

Today, having waited for a fix and not having received anything from Quicken, I called, since it was Monday. The very helpful woman said that the fix had been found yesterday, and that it involved exporting the data file, deleting that install, and then downloading the software again, and re-importing --- all basically to "rollback" to the previous update. So, she walked me through that process.

But, she acknowledged, she did not know of any attempt to send out emails to people, like myself, who'd called in or had chat sessions.

Along the way, we discovered that although the export / import process did save much of the data, certain things were lost:

All my transaction download settings had to be re-setup from scratch (about a 20 min process, since I had multiple accounts.)

In the process, we discovered that the auto loan account was essentially starting from scratch, and all transaction history for my auto loan account was lost.

Also, certain transactions in my checking account, like the original balance, were lost. I had to cheat by creating an adjustment transaction to get it to balance.

Also, my entire budget history was lost. Gone. All my previous months and years of budgets --- poof!

HUGE bonehead move on the part of Quicken. I can't imagine the hell you guys must be going through if millions of customers have suffered similar data loss.

Marcus, "conflicted" is a function of dropbox.  Files accessed by 2 users can create duplicates marked as "conflicted copy".  I noticed in later comment rph2 maintains file on dropbox.  There may be other conditions that cause this but my experience is edits to open file by 2 users, not necessarily simultaneous just while open for both. 
  • Mike Lane
    Mike Lane Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

Shot in the dark.  Assume you are 5.6.1. Was this problem after update to 5.6.0 or prior?
    Not responding doesn't mean won't respond.  I don't know how long you wait but try a little longer to see if it opens.  This is to check if it is corrupt or just slow.

There is more discussion in this thread (Q Mac v5.6x Released) about slow opening and slow transaction entry.  Does your Q work fine after opening?

Did you unpack the compressed file?
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Agree w/ Mike Lane to see if will eventually open. Unfortunately, the "Application not responding" message isn't accurate for programs in the process of opening. Since upgrading to 5.6.0 (I'm in no rush to try 5.6.1), QM seems even slower to open. I go do something else on the computer and know it is finally ready when the icon bouncing in the dock catches my eye and I know it is waiting for me to enter my password.

Once open I'm not seeing the slow data entry that some report. However, for investments I keep the graph closed.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018

Since this only happened once (lots of conflicted files with the same date in 2017) I may have screwed up and had Quicken open on two computers simultaneously. I sent a backup of this package to Marcus at his request. Unfortunately I need to use Quicken on 3 computers as I travel a lot and have two homes with iMac at each. 
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018

Sounds like Quickbooks would have been a better solution for your needs, Quickbooks Online would have been perfect to share on multiple machines
  • Mike Lane
    Mike Lane Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

rph9, makes sense.   Try not to leave open on a computer, after a data download or entry.  Seems like you have already recognized that scenario.  Here are the issues I see: 
    1.  some data may not be in the master file  - you can open the conflicted file to check if necessary.
    2.  conflicted copies use up Dropbox data allocation.  

I don't see any reason not to delete them after you are comfortable you didn't lose any data.  I would keep more backup files.  You can set the number of backups you want to keep under Q, preferences.  Dropbox also has a recovery feature.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018

I did't discover these conflicted files for almost a year. Just thought all my data had inflated Quicken file to > 1GB. After deleting it is now a very manageable 179MB. I just never thought to view the contents of the package file until I started reading this thread. I must have left Quicken open on my home computer and tried to access it on my office computer. I have about 10 "conflicted" data files, all from the same day in November 2017. I now have Quicken doing 10 backups and, as you point out, Dropbox does this as well. Hope I never need them again.
  • RickO
    edited May 2018

It is not recommended to store you "live" data file in Dropbox. Aside from the issue with conflicted copies, it can lead to corruption of the permissions within the file structure, making the file unusable.

Here' s a safe way to store you file on Dropbox:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-how-to-safely-share-your-quicken-mac-file-on...

It is a bit cumbersome to set up, and can increase the time needed to open the file and get working, but is much safer than storing the file itself in Dropbox.
  • Mike Lane
    Mike Lane Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

RickO, thanks for the procedure, very workable. 
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018

RickO, I do not store any quicken back up data on dropbox. I have been thinking about just putting a copy of my data file they’re not associating it with any back up. Is it conceivable that I could run into a problem with keeping a copy of the data file on dropbox ?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018

Putting a Quicken backup file on Dropbox should not be a problem, but to be extra-safe, you can Compress it into a .zip file before moving it to Dropbox.

Should you need to access the backup file, copy the .zip back to your local machine, and double-click to un-zip it. And always make a copy of the backup before you start using it, in case anything goes wrong with the backup file you'd be opening. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.