Add Option to Stay in Edit Mode or Hit Return To Open New Transaction in QMac (46 Legacy Votes)

smayer97
smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
Separated IDEA for easy voting. see original request here:
https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-2017-for-mac-account-registers

It would be helpful to be able to stay in edit mode when you were finished updating the transaction, so when you hit the return/enter key it either goes to the next existing transaction line or opens a new line. This would enable being able to edit or enter one entry after another faster.

Currently, the only work-around is to press CMD-N to save existing transaction and open a new blank entry. 

If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click the arrow in the yellow box below to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers. Your VOTE matters!

[Edited for updated procedure to vote]

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

9 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Submitted for review 7/09/20 - CTP-7547

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This IDEA has been added to the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Feature
    You may want to click on the underlined link to add your vote to more related ideas.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• bert_home
    bert_home Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Actually, I would prefer the functionality to be the same as Quicken for Windows 14 where there is no edit mode and there is always a line available to enter new transactions.  All that being said (I'm in the SW business), I don't know what the tradeoff would be or the complications.  I'll vote yes,
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    bert_home said:

Actually, I would prefer the functionality to be the same as Quicken for Windows 14 where there is no edit mode and there is always a line available to enter new transactions.  All that being said (I'm in the SW business), I don't know what the tradeoff would be or the complications.  I'll vote yes,

I too prefer the QWin, and QM2007 for that matter, method but Quicken claims that more people were confused with eh open line so they decided to not have an always open line in the Mac version. Not sure if they are likely to change that, so I think this is the next best option. Hopefully they will implement this.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    bert_home said:

Or even include an option to turn the open line on or off in preferences so those people confused can turn off if they want.
  • Jeff B
    Jeff B Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Finding I have to mouse down to the bottom of the register and hit "+" over and over..    I too would prefer an open line ready for entry, that's what I'm used to.    In the interim, I just try to remember to hit "+" as many time as needed for however many entries I'm about to make.      You can create several open lines at once..
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Reinstate the "Save and New" button when entering transactions.

It would be very  helpful to keep the transaction window open when you have more than one transaction to enter. Reinstate the "Save and New" button or the new window when pressing Enter.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled why can't I hit enter to bring up a new transaction on MAC version?.

I just updated to Mac 2018. I hate that I have to use the mouse to add a "new" transaction when I manually add. On the windows version, when finished with a transaction, hitting enter would automatically bring up a new transaction line. it really slows me down when entering data.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2018
    katie said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled why can't I hit enter to bring up a new transaction on MAC version?.

I just updated to Mac 2018. I hate that I have to use the mouse to add a "new" transaction when I manually add. On the windows version, when finished with a transaction, hitting enter would automatically bring up a new transaction line. it really slows me down when entering data.

Katie: You do NOT have to use the mouse to create new transactions -- I would hate that, too. First, you can use Command-N to create a blank new transaction at any time. And if you're finishing entering one transaction, instead of pressing Enter, press Command-N and it will save the transaction and open a new one with one keystroke. As soon as you get used to Command-N instead of Enter, you'll be just as fast as you were on Windows.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    katie said:

Yes, JM & RickO already pointed that out on the original thread.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    katie said:

But if you open a new blank that you don't use, then push Esc to get back to register QM still creates a new blank record!! That is insane.
  • jacobs
    edited April 2018
    katie said:

Don’t press Esc; instead, press Command-z to Undo, which will delete the newly-created blank transaction.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    katie said:

Fair enough,  and thanks, but not answering why would Q possibly create a blank record for a screen which has had no keystrokes?
  • jacobs
    edited April 2018
    katie said:

Because in Quicken Mac, creating a new, blank record is independent of filling it with data. You could create a blank transaction, then jump somewhere else -- in that register or another account -- and come back to fill in the data.

In legacy versions of Quicken Mac, it worked differently: there was always a blank transaction waiting to be filled in. According to the Quicken developers, that caused confusion for users and complicated some aspects of the programming, so this next-generation Quicken doesn't create blank transactions at all; only users initiate a new transaction.

I suppose it would be possible to program Quicken auto-delete a transaction that's been created but not filled in. Just envisioning it, though, it might be confusing to users to watch: a new transaction appears, the user presses return (intentionally or by mistake), and the transaction line vanishes before their eyes. 

If you feel it would be easier to use if Quicken deleted a saved blank transaction, you could create a new question at the top of the screen and select that it's an IDEA, which would let other users here vote in support of it if they agree. The developers look at idea topics and votes as they consider changes and enhancements to the program.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    katie said:

"If you feel it would be easier to use if Quicken deleted a saved blank transaction, you could create a new question". 
    Well there's 2 situations. 
    1. You exit with the Esc key
    2.  You Exit with RET key

With former it's completely obvious there should not be a record created. After you hit esc there should be nothing left.

With the latter, the blank transaction could have been created intentionally even tho it's just as easy to start a new one as to return to a blank one, so I grant you that.
  • jacobs
    edited April 2018
    katie said:

As a longtime Quicken Mac user, I never used the Esc key to exit a transaction in quicken 2007 and earlier.

In modern Quicken Mac, I'd say just don't hit Esc to exit transactions. And f you find you've created a new transaction you don't want, just press Command-Z as a one-keystroke way to undo it.

(I'm not trying to justify why they built it the way they did; just offer practical ways to accomplish what you want.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    katie said:

The original Q for DOS was so sleek and fast.  Now it's like they're looking for ways to make it slower and harder.  [ I kept my last DOS version going for years after W because it was so cleaner -- used a DOS box on W computers.  Gave up in 2013. ]. Now they're so bossy and controlling.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    SERIOUSLY?  A VOTE to decide on COMMON SENSE?   Tell me,  how much Editing do people actually do compared to ADDING TRANSACTIONS?  

THIS is the LAST year I stick with IDIOCY.  Go with common sense or lose me. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

SERIOUSLY?  A VOTE to decide on COMMON SENSE?   Tell me,  how much Editing do people actually do compared to ADDING TRANSACTIONS?  

There was a design decision to not have this because of the nature of calls they received for support where users easily got confused with a blank entry waiting for data.

Not saying was the right decision but that is their justification. If there is enough of a meaningful voice to add this, Quicken may change and include this.

(BTW, this is just FYI, so don't shoot the messenger.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Go back to Automatic Advance for New Entries.

Why should ANTONE have to hit NEW every single time they want to enter a transaction?  That is a waste of time for busy people who only enter things monthly.  
    I ave asked for this since Quicken split from Intuit a two or threes ago.  If I don't see it by the end of the 2018,  I am going to a program that does. This shouldn't be THAT difficult to write an update code for!  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018

Sorry...I mistook you for one of the fools who messed up 2007 when they took over. My apologies. 
    How the heck can ANYONE mistake an blank transaction?  Doesn't a check registere have a bunch of black spaces after your last entry?  
    If that's the common sense of today's world...shoot me now. 
  • jacobs
    edited July 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Go back to Automatic Advance for New Entries.

Why should ANTONE have to hit NEW every single time they want to enter a transaction?  That is a waste of time for busy people who only enter things monthly.  
    I ave asked for this since Quicken split from Intuit a two or threes ago.  If I don't see it by the end of the 2018,  I am going to a program that does. This shouldn't be THAT difficult to write an update code for!  

I'm not posting to defend the way it works; however, for people who are entering multiple transactions, all you need to do is press command-N after each transaction (or click the "+ New" icon in the bottom toolbar, if you're more of a clicker than a keyboard shortcut fan). That saves the current transaction and opens a blank new one -- with just one keystone or one button click. As a longtime Quicken Mac user, I admit it takes some getting used to, but in the end, it's one keystroke (Command-N) versus another (Return), so it's really no more work.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018

Then I'd need to press two buttons to get to the next entry, correct?   Q2007 (Intuit) automatically showed the next blank transaction after you entered the one you just put it.  ZERO buttons to press to enter the next transaction.  
  • jacobs
    edited July 2018

No, Quicken 2007 (which I still use) requires one keystroke: Return or Enter. That saves the transaction you've just entered, and opens a new blank transaction. In Quicken 2015-2018, pressing Command-N does the same thing: saves the current transaction and opens a new blank one.

Yes, we could argue the semantics of whether pressing two keys simultaneously is actually one keystroke or not. As I said, I'm not here to argue against the Return key working the way it used to; what I am saying is that if you're willing to re-wire your brain to press Command-N instead of Return, it takes no more time or effort than it used to.

You said above that it was "a waste of time... to hit New every single time they want to enter a transaction," and I'm noting that it actually takes no more time. When I have a stack of transactions to enter, as you apparently do, I want a single action to both save the transaction I'm in and create a new blank transaction -- and Command-N accomplishes that.

Many users (including me) have switched to having their registers in descending date order, with new transactions at the top. New-at-the-top is like a lot of computer lists (like files in a Finder window) or new email in Mac Mail, and less like a checkbook metaphor. It took me a little while to adjust, but I now prefer my registers this way. According to the Quicken folks, having an ever-present blank transaction at the top apparently mades the programming for reports and searches more complex. I'm sure they could find a way to make it work; it's just a question of whether it's worth the time and effort to do so, when there are many other feature requests in line for the developers to do. We all use Quicken differently, so what's unimportant to me may be important to you, and visa versa. My point here is only that it's not that the developers are brain-dead, it's that they are constantly prioritizing what's most important to fix or enhance. You might disagree, but for me, using command-N instead of return is an acceptable alternative once I got used to it. If you haven't tried it, my suggestion is to give it a try for awhile -- without cursing that it's different ;) -- and see how you adapt to it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018

Right, the 2007 Quicken for Mac opens the next blank transaction when you Enter.  The newer Quickens (not the Intuit made) do not. After hit Enter, you then must move your cursor down to hover and then drop the selection bar, and then click on "New" to add a blank line to add another transaction.  Each time. The 2007 did not work in the new Mac systems (Yosemite or anything after). Never could get it to and when I called for help, was told it is not compatible with anything past Lion.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

The way to do this is to NOT press Return or Enter. INSTEAD, press CMD-N.... this will automatically 'enter' the existing transaction AND open a new line without needing to use the New command or pressing CMD-N again.

As for QM2007 and OS 10.7 (Lion) and newer, see reply here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/where-can-i-find-the-quicken-2007-for-lion-updat...

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018

I'd need to move my fingers into a different position, but I will try this next time and see if I can easily adjust to that.  Thanks. 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2018

If you prefer a different keyboard shortcut for New Transaction rather than Cmd-N, you can change it as described here:

http://osxdaily.com/2017/08/08/create-custom-keyboard-shortcut-mac/
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018

I would prefer a double letter, but would be problematic when writing....what if I hit command twice, or maybe qq would work? 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

The CMD key is what is called a modifier key (like OPT, CTRL and SHIFT); to modifies other keys, not itself. And a modifier key needs to be used with another non-modifier key to be used as keyboard shortcuts to functions in a software.

The macOS does not daisy-chain key sequences (unless you use the built-in accessibility features or a third party utility).

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• jacobs
    edited July 2018

@RickO: Do you know what's interesting: not all shortcut assignments work correctly in Quicken. I was going to suggest to DL a keyboard shortcut like Command-Return, because it's similar to just hitting Return, and doesn't require hand contortions -- but I tried it and it didn't work. Nor did Option-Return nor Control-Return. Using a modifier and other keys seemed to work as expected, but there's something special about a modifier with the Return key that doesn't work as the equivalent of the New Transaction command n Quicken. (It does show up as the keyboard command in the drop-down menu; it just doesn't work.) Same results on Quicken 2018 in Sierra and Quicken 2017 on Yosemite. No biggie; just odd.