Does anyone know where to find Quicken Deluxe Mac 2003?

I have a Quicken file from a client that is around 2003 that I cannot access.  I have searched online and cannot seem to find anywhere to purchase it?  Does anybody know any places that I can purchase a Quicken Deluxe Mac version for 2003/2004?

Thank you

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    How have you tried to access the file? What version of Quicken for Mac are you currently using?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    We have tried using the most recent Quicken for Mac, as well as 2001 Mac Deluxe.  With the 2001, we could almost get in, but there were some updates that we needed, but couldn't get since they stopped supporting '01 version.  I assume any year from '02 to '07 would potentially work.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2018
    Shane, you can usually find Quicken 2007 Mac available on eBay, and I see several for sale there now. Finding something as old as Quicken 2003 or 2004 is much iffier, but there's a Quicken 2003 for sale there, too, at the moment.

I assume from your reply that you have a Mac running Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6) or earlier? That will be required, since anything before Quicken 2007 will not run on Lion (Mac OS 10.7) or later. with Quicken 2007, there is the original 16.0.x version (Snow Leopard and earlier, only) and the updated 16.1.x, 16.2.x ("Lion Compatible") version (runs on any version of Mac OS up though 10.13).
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    We are looking for deluxe version and all the options you provided from my search seemed to be regular versions.   We are running Quicken 2001 on Snow Leopard.
  • jacobs
    edited July 2018
    Shane said:

We are looking for deluxe version and all the options you provided from my search seemed to be regular versions.   We are running Quicken 2001 on Snow Leopard.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there were ever two different levels of Quicken for Mac available -- it was just "Quicken for Mac". The Windows versions came in Starter, Deluxe and Premier, but the Mac versions never did until just this past year.

Editing to add: If they ever called it "Quicken Deluxe" back in the 1990's and early 2000's, it escapes me, but in later years, including 2007 (which I still have), it was definitely just "Quicken for Mac".
  • jacobs
    edited July 2018
    Shane said:

One more thing: I'm pretty sure Quicken 2007 will not open a Quicken 2001 data file. Quicken 2003 will. For certain, the updated "Lion Compatible" version of Quicken 2007 will only open Quicken 2005, 2006 and 2007 files. But I can't remember or find and information about what versions the original Quicken 2007 could open. (@smayer97 may know, if he's reading this thread.)

Are you trying to just look something up in the old data, or move this data forward into a current version of Quicken? If the former, if you pick up that Quicken 2003 online, you should be set.

If the latter, you may need to do multiple intermediate steps. Quicken 2018 officially only reads Quicken 2007 data files. In most cases, that means it will work with Quicken 2006 data files as well. But you might need Quicken 2005 to get to Quicken 2007 to get to Quicken 2018.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    Shane said:

Alright, we are going to try the 2007 version and hopefully we can get into the file.  

Thank you.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    Shane said:

We believe the file is around 2003, they cannot remember and the 2001 version couldn't get in, so we assume it is around 2002-2004.
  • jacobs
    edited July 2018
    Shane said:

So just be aware that you may need to find an earlier old version, if Quicken 2007 can't open a file that old. Of course, if you buy the 2003 version I saw on eBay, and it's actually a Quicken 2004 data file, then 2003 won't help you at all. Sorry, it's going to be trial and error.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    While unsupported, Quicken 2007 (the PPC version) can open pre '05 files. I have seen it open files from the early 90s versions. For best results, the conversion should be done on an actual PowerPC based machine. There are not many of those around.

The Lion Compatible version of 2007 won't, as jacobs noted. It simply won't even try to convert it.

Early versions of Quicken Essentials (with the older File Exchange Utility) would also import older files as it uses the PPC version of 2007 under the covers. Again, conversion on an actual PPC based machine is suggested.

Now, the most important question before you even try: how did you get these files? If they were given to you on a drive (flash, external) formatted in FAT or FAT 32, you don't have the entire file and nothing will work. If you load the file on a modern Mac (or even not so modern), and if the file appears as a folder, stop now as it's game over.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

While unsupported, Quicken 2007 (the PPC version) can open pre '05 files. I have seen it open files from the early 90s versions. For best results, the conversion should be done on an actual PowerPC based machine. There are not many of those around.

The Lion Compatible version of 2007 won't, as jacobs noted. It simply won't even try to convert it.

Early versions of Quicken Essentials (with the older File Exchange Utility) would also import older files as it uses the PPC version of 2007 under the covers. Again, conversion on an actual PPC based machine is suggested.

Now, the most important question before you even try: how did you get these files? If they were given to you on a drive (flash, external) formatted in FAT or FAT 32, you don't have the entire file and nothing will work. If you load the file on a modern Mac (or even not so modern), and if the file appears as a folder, stop now as it's game over.

I was going to discuss some of that too...

And just to clarify some other details...

QM2007 PPC (v16.0.x) will run on Mac OS X 10.3.9 to 10.6.8. QM2007 LC (v16.1.x) will only run on Mac OS X 10.6.8 and later. Since you are on Snow Leopard, you are OK as long as it is 10.6.8. And QM2007 PPC will open all old data files most of the time...whereas the LC version will only open data from from QM2005, QM2006 or QM2007.

In my case, I tried to update from QM2002 to QM2007 PPC but had trouble and I needed QM2005 as an intermediary to make it work, which Quicken supplied to me at that time many years ago. 

Also, Quicken for Mac did use the Deluxe name for a while when they added some particular features, but it was ever only one version. Do not recall when they started and stopped using the Deluxe naming but QM2002 is called Deluxe yet QM2000 and QM2005 are not.

So it seems that you have a few hurdles to overcome. But what would make the whole process easier is knowing exactly what was the last version that opened those files, and like John said, making sure you have the complete file "package".

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2018

Obviously, I am going by memory, and memory is all I have, but I think "Deluxe" was simply the name for the general release available for purchase at various times over the years. I do remember a "SE" (starter edition). I do remember Quicken SE (I assume "Starter Edition") bundled with Performas/PowerMacs of the mid-late 90s. I purchased versions every other release since 1.5, and I don't recall different flavors outside of SE.

Needing the intermediary conversions is obviously a case by case situation. Some can go directly, while others cannot. The data contained within the file obviously dictates that.
  • jacobs
    edited July 2018

John and smayer97, Shane says they have a Mac running Snow Leopard, so some of your caveats should not come into play. From what you're saying, if he buys a copy of the original (version 16.0) Quicken 2007 -- which the CDs on eBay most likely are -- that might directly open the Quicken 2003 or 2004 file he has. (As long as it wasn't moved around on a non-Mac-formatted flash drive.) Shane, I think you have a path forward!

Please post back when you get your copy of Quicken 2007 and let us know if you're able to open the data file. (Hopefully you've already done this, but make sure you're always working on a copy of the data file, in case anything goes wrong.)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Agreed. I mostly added the info for completeness for the sake of anyone else that comes across this thread with a similar situation.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.