The Tax Schedule and Tax Summary reports do not include capital gains & losses.

Options
Boatnmaniac
Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Capital gains and losses from the sale of taxable investments are not included in the Tax Schedule and Tax Summary reports.  Quicken Help confirms this but does not explain why this is.  It says to get this information I need to run a Schedule D or Capital Gains report and that data is shown there (which it is).

Does anyone know what the logic is for not including realized gains/losses in the Tax Schedule report?  They are, after all, tax related events.  It seems odd that I would need to run a different report, export the data from both reports and then manually merge them to get an accurate Tax Schedule or Tax Summary report.

(BTW, I am running QW 2016 Premier on Windows 10.)

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    The Sched D info is probably not included in the Tax Sched report because there is more detail in the Schedule D report - it needs basis and long/short term info.

In QWin 2018, the Tax Summary report does include realized gains
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options

The Sched D info is probably not included in the Tax Sched report because there is more detail in the Schedule D report - it needs basis and long/short term info.

In QWin 2018, the Tax Summary report does include realized gains

Re Sched D Info in the Tax Sched report:   I'd thought of that, too, but I'm also guessing that all those calculations were previously done when the sale transactions were completed and that the ST/LT gains/losses are just data points in the database.  If that is the case, then it's just a matter of pulling those data points into the report.  Even if they are not simple data points Quicken already has the formulas for quickly calculating the gains/losses so it's not like it would complicate the program.  It just doesn't make sense to me.  I'm not complaining, just trying to understand so I can make sense of it.

Re the Tax Summary report:  Good to know.  I'll probably upgrade when QW 2016 support ends.  I look forward to seeing the realized gains/losses being included there.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.