Can't open file.

Rob
Rob Member ✭✭
I'm running latest version of Quicken for Mac on latest version of Apple OS on a 2014 MacBook Pro. I successfully used Quicken last Friday, and I'm pretty sure there was an update that I installed. I entered a bunch of manual transactions and that was that.

Today (Tuesday) I am trying to open Quicken, and the file that I use is crashing Quicken upon opening. I can get it to open and stay open if I create a new file, and I can navigate around the new file creation process.

I also copied my Quicken file and tried to open that, to no avail. I have backups that are a few weeks old on a hard drive at my office (I am travelling now).

Any strategies for repairing a damaged file, or copying data into a new one? Or any other thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I've been on hold for over 30 minutes waiting for a chat using quicken help. waiting on chat is less painful than waiting on phone, will be very happy if access to a quicken technician by phone is as you say instant and i will try now. thank you for your response
  • Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Help me find a good attitude for how I am spending my afternoon please
  • Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Rob said:

I've been on hold for over 30 minutes waiting for a chat using quicken help. waiting on chat is less painful than waiting on phone, will be very happy if access to a quicken technician by phone is as you say instant and i will try now. thank you for your response

Hi Alex - could I beg your attention to help me with the real reason why I wrote in here - my file won't open, I've been on hold for most of an hour for Quicken support, there are no help articles that I can find etc. Thank you
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Latest version of Quicken on latest version of Apple OS can mean different things to different people. Please add Quicken version of year, build and release. Go to Quicken, about quicken. And your OS would be OSX 10.14.??
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    Rob said:

Are you getting any error messages, or does it simply crash?

Is this file local to your computer, or is it shared over a network?
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    Rob, when you say Quicken is crashing when you open the file, what do you mean. Does it really immediately shut down? Or do you instead get the spinning beach ball for what seems like a long time until you give up and force quit? If the latter, one of the recent updates needs to do a very lengthly update of the database on launch. If you are getting the beach ball, try again to open the file and just let it run for a hour or even overnight and see if it eventually opens.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken Alex
    Quicken Alex Alumni ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Rob said:

Hello Rob,

What number have you dialed for support? I've just checked our call queues and there is currently no one holding, meaning your hold time should be less than a minute.

Please confirm if you have called the correct number by visiting our Care contact details page here: https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Additionally, the Quicken Community is primarily a user to user support forum. It is moderated by a small group of Quicken employees who help in the Community when and where we can but for more technical issues, it may be best to speak with an agent by phone or chat.

Thank you,
    Alex
  • Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Thank you to Quicken Alex, RickO, Gary Fortman and John in NC for the responses.

After waiting 45 minutes for chat (website said a 6 minute wait estimate, like their call queue), Marcos in customer service told me to move the Library>Application Support>Quicken folder to the desktop.Reopened perfectly.

Reason why? There was a bug in the recent Quicken for Mac release and the product development team's official solution is to move that folder to the desktop until the next release, when you can presumably move it back. Due to iCloud finder issues corrupting the file.

I've been crossing my fingers for a long time that a great competitor to Quicken comes along, and nothing like a wasted afternoon for a non-solution to get that passion fired up again.
  • Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Rob said:

see below, thanks
  • Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Rob said:

see below, thank you
  • Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

Latest version of Quicken on latest version of Apple OS can mean different things to different people. Please add Quicken version of year, build and release. Go to Quicken, about quicken. And your OS would be OSX 10.14.??

see below, thank you

• Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    RickO said:

Rob, when you say Quicken is crashing when you open the file, what do you mean. Does it really immediately shut down? Or do you instead get the spinning beach ball for what seems like a long time until you give up and force quit? If the latter, one of the recent updates needs to do a very lengthly update of the database on launch. If you are getting the beach ball, try again to open the file and just let it run for a hour or even overnight and see if it eventually opens.

see below, thank you

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Rob said:

Thank you to Quicken Alex, RickO, Gary Fortman and John in NC for the responses.

After waiting 45 minutes for chat (website said a 6 minute wait estimate, like their call queue), Marcos in customer service told me to move the Library>Application Support>Quicken folder to the desktop.Reopened perfectly.

Reason why? There was a bug in the recent Quicken for Mac release and the product development team's official solution is to move that folder to the desktop until the next release, when you can presumably move it back. Due to iCloud finder issues corrupting the file.

I've been crossing my fingers for a long time that a great competitor to Quicken comes along, and nothing like a wasted afternoon for a non-solution to get that passion fired up again.

Thx for sharing...

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.