Difference in Reconcile window

Unknown
Unknown Member
quicken 2017 home & business, windows 10. I am trying to reconcile a checking account. The amounts for checks/debits match my bank statement, and the amount of deposits match the statement. everything is checked off correctly. Quicken shows there is a difference. Anyone know why? Thank you.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If you haven't completed that Reconciliation, let's do a bit of exploring.

In that account, click on the CLR column until the arrowhead next to the column header points down.

Find the LAST transaction in the register that has an R in the CLR column.  Does the account balance for that transaction match the Opening Balance on your bank statement?

If so, the problem resides AFTER that point. 

If not, then a previously reconciled transaction was, in some way, changed or deleted or a transaction was manually changed to "R".

Click the DATE column header until THAT arrowhead is pointing UP.

Then, assuming that a prior transaction got changed, pull out your prior statements until and start searching backwards until you find the point where the Ending Balance on the Bank statement matches the balance (and approximates the date) in Q.

UN-reconcile everything after that point, and re-reconcile month by month until you find the error.

To UN-reconcile, click on the 1st transaction after that matching Stmt & Q transaction that you found then hold down the SHIFT key while you click on the LAST transaction in the register.  Then, Right Click on any transaction in that selected group, click Reconcile and click Cleared.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    thank you. The ending balance on the statement does match the balance after the last reconciled transaction from the month of Oct.
    i have only been working on 1 month's statement (Nov). I cleared Nov transactions for the third time. Tried to reconcile it again still with a difference in the end. The deposit amounts still match paper statement as do the debit amounts.

I have been using quicken for years and can usually find mistakes. 

Is there a known bug in the reconciliation? I do have the lasted 2017 updates.

Thank you for any help......
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

thank you. The ending balance on the statement does match the balance after the last reconciled transaction from the month of Oct.
    i have only been working on 1 month's statement (Nov). I cleared Nov transactions for the third time. Tried to reconcile it again still with a difference in the end. The deposit amounts still match paper statement as do the debit amounts.

The ending balance on the statement does match the balance after the last reconciled transaction from the month of Oct.
    Are all of the prior transactions marked as reconciled and are all the subsequent transactions not marked as reconciled?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

yes, all prior transactions are reconciled. All others are only marked "C" because they have been downloaded, none are reconciled.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Check the number of checks, debits and deposit, credits indicated at the bottom of Reconcile window's columns.  If they are not correct, I suggest you review: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-have-2-deposits-credits-in-reconciliation-be...
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Michelle,
    This is August.  Are you trying to reconcile a statement from almost a year ago???

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

thanks. they are correct! any other thoughts? thanks again
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

My "how to find reconcile errors" from 2 hours ago still holds.

Just NEVER try to reconcile more than 1 month at a time.  If/When there are errors in that multi-month reconcile, it's a real PITA to find them.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

What happens if you do attempt to reconcile to the December statement's closing date and balance?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Sherlock - the difference gets larger.

NotACPA - yes, sadly these are end of last year statements. It was a new bank account and only had 2 previous months that balanced perfectly. They were balanced a while ago.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Back to November....  If you perform a Mark All followed by a Clear All in the Reconcile Window, does the Cleared Balance equal the correct Prior Balance?  If so, as you select the transactions as cleared, do the totals and Cleared Balance amounts in the Reconcile window adjust appropriately?  Are you able to determine which of the transactions are causing Quicken problems?
  • Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Is the difference amount a familiar figure? 

not to be silly but I have had similar issue in past and after going cross-eyed and getting very aggravated, found out the problem had been my error, such as transposing 2 numbers (i.e., $50.45 to $50.54) or even accidentally making a deposit a negative amount or some other mistake on my part.

Or can you relate the difference amount in the reconcile window to some other activity in that account?  Good luck...
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Tried the mark all, clear all as you suggested. After "clear all" the cleared balance does match the prior balance. And as I mark off transactions the balance changes correctly. That's why I'm stumped, there has to be something I'm missing....

All the numbers seem to match from quicken to the bank statement. (# of checks/debits, # deposits, $ amount of transactions)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

Oh my, I just found it!! It actually was from the bank statement. Quicken is all OK!  Yay.  Thank you so much for your suggestions and trying to help.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    thank you all who have offered help, I found the problem and all is fixed.

Thanks,
    Michelle
This discussion has been closed.