Improve Matching Downloaded Transactions [edited] (9 Legacy Votes)

Bill Martz
Bill Martz Member ✭✭
Using Quicken Deluxe 2018 R10.11 Build 27.1.10.11
I have weekly transactions in checking and credit card accounts that are for the same payee and same amount, within each of those accounts, each week. When Quicken matches the downloaded transactions to the entered transactions, it ignores the date such that if there are two or more to be approved, it matches the most recent downloaded transaction with the older or oldest recorded transaction, and vice-versa. I have to manually match each transaction. Even once a transaction is correctly matched together, when I go to the next transaction, it will match a new transaction with an  older or different date that has already been matched. It seems all it looks at is the payee and the amount. It should look at the date also.
7 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2019
     create or restore a mechanism that allows users to remove transactions from the Manual Match dialog list
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Requesting that Quicken returns a way to remove transactions from the Manual Match dialog
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Yes, and make it a "visible" way not something hidden by some Ctrl+Shift click this and then that.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Please consider providing 2 options on the manual match window to eliminate any transactions which have been previously cleared or have been reconciled.    
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2019
    [removed]

I agree that the matching could be better if the date was taking into consideration.  Note it can't be a "fixed rule" as in it being an exact date because the user/reminder might not be exactly, but I think if they pick the "closest date" it might be a lot better.
  • Bill Martz
    Bill Martz Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    [removed]

You are right, QPW, closest date. 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    In my opinion, when the amount and payee match, the oldest downloaded transaction should match the oldest available entered transaction but we should have the ability to indicate the entered transaction is not available to be matched.  [removed]
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    BTW for what it is worth the payee can only be used as a "hint".  Since you can put in any payee you like when manually entering the transaction there is no guarantee it is "the same" as the one downloaded.  Quicken mostly matches by the amounts.  As such downloading frequently might help.

Personally I download everyday and I seldom have transactions that have the same amount, so I don't running into this kind of problem very frequently.

Totally agree that there should be a way to tell Quicken to not match certain transactions, but if this is done all in the same download and all of the transactions are "active" then that wouldn't help in that case.
  • Bill Martz
    Bill Martz Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    In my case, the original transaction is entered using a reminder. After name substitution on download, the names on the transactions in the downloaded list match exactly, at least it appears that way. Maybe it is not within the mechanics of Quicken. The fact that Quicken consistently mismatches the transactions in the same way indicates to me that it is in the programming. It seems to match exactly backward to what would be desired.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

In my case, the original transaction is entered using a reminder. After name substitution on download, the names on the transactions in the downloaded list match exactly, at least it appears that way. Maybe it is not within the mechanics of Quicken. The fact that Quicken consistently mismatches the transactions in the same way indicates to me that it is in the programming. It seems to match exactly backward to what would be desired.

Let me be clear.  I said it is used as a "hint".  As in it is used, but isn't "100%" relied on.

As Quicken will match transactions even if the payee is completely different.

As for the matching of the older transactions first.  That is definitely programmed into Quicken.  And as Sherlock pointed out, something that a lot of people would desire.

So there isn't a "clear winner" if "oldest" or "closest" should "win".

But I have had some pretty ridiculous matches in the past.
    Like it trying to match a transaction in 2000 when there is a transaction with the exact date, payee, and amount in the register.

I do notice though in the recent versions of Quicken that it has some kind of "window" maybe about 2 months, so that it doesn't match really old transactions any more.
  • Bill Martz
    Bill Martz Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

If I have two downloaded transactions, one a week newer than the other, it matches the newest transaction to the oldest entered one and vice-versa. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Yeah That sounds "familiar".  And frankly if both transactions are in the download, then I certainly consider it a bug that it matches newer to older, and older to newer.

EDIT:

Note that the developers might not consider it a bug, because it was "designed" that way, and as such this would be a feature request, but AS A USER, I certainly consider it a bug.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

BTW, I still experience this kind of reverse matching in QM2007. So this is nothing new. And the window thing I have seen many times also....sometimes it appears a window is being applied then other times no, matching really old transactions. 

Unfortunately, it is just a black box and Quicken is just revealing the inner workings. But I do not think there is anything new going on, IMHO.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Updated to to R15.16 - Today.   i was once again disappointed that the Manual Match Transaction List issue was not fixed.  

Quicken please give us the option to filter out transactions which have been previously reconciled and or cleared from appearing in this window.    Thank you 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Is there any update to this request?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Updated to to R15.16 - Today.   i was once again disappointed that the Manual Match Transaction List issue was not fixed.  

Quicken please give us the option to filter out transactions which have been previously reconciled and or cleared from appearing in this window.    Thank you 

Agree! This is annoying that previously reconciled transactions show up in the manual match window.  Also, I don't like when Quicken matches new transactions to a reconciled registry item that has nothing in common with the downloaded item - not the same amount, not the same date, not the same payee.  Nothing matches, but Quicken pairs it.
  • JediSQL
    JediSQL Member ✭✭
    I have a checking account that I use only for scheduled transactions, so I don't need to download transactions and reconcile on a regular basis. When I get around to downloading transactions, there can be more than a dozen, e.g., $15.01 weekly transfers to my savings account. The primary matching matches only on the amount without looking at the date, so they are all mismatched. Thus, I need to go into manual matching to get them properly matched. However, in the "Manually Match Transactions" dialog box, it shows all unmatched transactions, not just the ones that match on amount. So, I have to do a lot of scrolling (on a very sensitive scroll bar) to find the correct date/amount. My satisfaction with the usage of Quicken would be greatly improved by one or both of these suggestions:
    1) When Quicken first downloads transactions and attempts matching to my Quicken register, it should note if there are multiple transactions for the same amount and factor in the dates when trying to make matches. The dates can be off a few days (you know how banks love to "float" our money), but it should be able to at least put them in the correct order.
    2) In the "Manually Match Transactions" dialog box, it would be helpful to have a checkbox something like "Show only register transactions with matching amount." That would save me a lot of scrolling.

• BillG2
    BillG2 Member ✭✭
    I am using Qualified Charitable Distributions (QCDs) to make Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs) from an IRA account. Using a technique I learned from this community, I enter WithdrawX transactions to transfer money to a cash clearing account and then record the contribution to the specific charity as a split in the transfer transaction there. It works well and tax reports display the QCDs in a way that my tax preparer can understand. When I download the transactions from Fidelity, Quicken doesn't match the manually entered transactions. The amounts of the downloaded transactions match the manually entered ones. The dates of the downloaded transactions are only a day or two later than the manually entered transactions. But the downloaded transactions expect to find Withdraw manual entries and I must use WithdrawX transactions to make tax reporting work. I could manually match the transactions in the downloaded transactions list using the edit button but that doesn't seem to be an option for investment transactions like it is for bank accounts. I could enter the posting date in the manual transaction (right-click the manual transaction, then hold down CTRL while left-clicking "Copy transactions") except that doesn't work either for investment transactions. Please improve transaction matching for these sorts of transactions.
  • userld
    userld Member
    Since the last update of Quicken, when you download transactions and use the Edit Dialog box in the when manually Matching Transactions, you can no longer stretch the box to make it bigger and you can no longer slide the columns inside the box to read them. It use to work great but now I can't read informaton. Will they be having a fix for this?
    LD