Fidelity Netbenefits OL-301-A

Joe25
Joe25 Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
After the latest revision of Quicken 2018, I started receiving OL-301-A errors to several Fidelity Netbenefit Brokerage accounts I have.  I worked with support for a few hours and after: deleting internet temp files, Super-Validating, Validating, Deactivating/Reconnecting, creating a new file and downloading no success was achieved.
I called the folks back at customer support when I discovered by deleting the .dat files Quicken creates every time the program is opened, then re-open the program and attempt an update, the update menu shows a green circle indicating success.  There are no transactions to see to download an verify, however since I didn't see anyone here complaining of this issue, I thought I would annotate the issue.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Having the same problem (posted 2 days ago) - spent an hour with Quicken help looking at the log files- they said it looked like a Fidelity issue - however I tried your solution and the update seemed to go through. No transactions downloaded, but no error message either. Thanks!
  • Joe25
    Joe25 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Having the same problem (posted 2 days ago) - spent an hour with Quicken help looking at the log files- they said it looked like a Fidelity issue - however I tried your solution and the update seemed to go through. No transactions downloaded, but no error message either. Thanks!

Hi Brooke,

If you get successful downloads or your issue is resolved without Dat file deletion, could you please post?

Thank you.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    AND, what is the FULL name of those .DAT files ... because I've NEVER heard of such being associated with the download into QWin.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Joe25
    Joe25 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

AND, what is the FULL name of those .DAT files ... because I've NEVER heard of such being associated with the download into QWin.

The 2 files are "your filename"_Sync log.dat &"your filename"OFXLOG.dat I don't know if they are associated with download per se but their deletion (may be just one) allowed an apparent download and they were recreated upon opening Quicken (in the same folder as the file).
  • Joe25
    Joe25 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Ok. So anyone following this thread is aware.  After this morning's update release R14.27 to Q18, the Fidelity Netbenefits issue still exists for me.
  • Chuck85
    Chuck85 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I have the same problem with Quicken Premier 2017
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Joe said:

Ok. So anyone following this thread is aware.  After this morning's update release R14.27 to Q18, the Fidelity Netbenefits issue still exists for me.

Hi Joe,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still experiencing a OL-301-A error when connecting with Fidelity Netbenefits and thank you for updating your post to let us know.

The Sync and OFX data logs are automatically created by Quicken during the One Step Update and Cloud Sync processes and detail the internal communications happening between Quicken and the servers. These logs can usually be a great place to review for internal errors in the communications that often point to the root cause of the error being received.

Deleting these files removes the historical detail of the internal communications but has no effect on the connection with the Financial Institution or the Sync settings.  If there was an error being returned by the Financial Institution, it is deleted with the data log files, so Quicken may attempt to make another connection with the Financial Institution, receive information initially and then return the original error again.

If you haven't already, please review the information and troubleshooting steps found at https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-ol-301.  If the error persists after attempting these steps, please go to the Help menu in Quicken and select "Report a Problem".

In the Report a Problem window that opens, please enter "Attn: Sarah" in the subject line, mark the boxes for the following log files and click Send to Quicken:

OFXLog.txt
    ConnLog.txt

Once sent, please just reply here to let me know so I can find them in the system.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Joe25
    Joe25 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Joe said:

Hi Sarah and thanks so much for the education.  I have forwarded the files to tech support yesterday (the complete files as opposed to just after a deletion).   The link you provided was accomplished first, then validation, supervalidation, deactivation of online services, reactivation and linking, creating a new file for account discovery and download test.  The support folks I talked to stated they believe this is a Fidelity issue.  In another thread, someone noticed the same thing I did which seems a repeat error.  The letters BLNK are added to the account numbers.  I seem to recall this happening before during this issue.  However, the rep thought that was standard protocol for Fidelity Netbenefits.  I noted I haven't seen it since the last time I went through this.  The rep also noted HTTPS link changes during normal log in on the browser.  FWIW.  Glad you are working on it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Joe said:

Second the above- deja vu all over again from last fall- even adding the BLNK to the acct numbers- supposedly fidelity was working on their back end and we lost netbenefits downloading at that time . I searched for that old thread but couldn’t find it.
  • Chuck85
    Chuck85 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    My problem seems to be with my brokerage account linked to my 401K.  When I deactivate downloads from the brokerage account I don't get the error.  I'm not sure how to duplicate the brokerage account to see if a new one will work.
  • Joe25
    Joe25 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Chuck said:

My problem seems to be with my brokerage account linked to my 401K.  When I deactivate downloads from the brokerage account I don't get the error.  I'm not sure how to duplicate the brokerage account to see if a new one will work.

I have other accounts not linked through brokerage. They work fine. Like you, it's the accounts through brokerage that are failing.
  • Jon7
    Jon7 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'm having the same issue with the latest release of QW R14.27.  I have tried all of the techniques in Joe's description above as well.
  • Joe25
    Joe25 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Sarah,
     Since you've been kind enough to reach out and instruct, can you tell me if/when files are sent that ever have anything connected to account information such as passwords or account numbers?  I've always been leery of sending files with sensitive information but it's difficult to know what is contained in files.

Additionally, I reread the Quicken Support email I received and I am concerned that it is left up to me to contact the financial institution and manage this malfunction with them.  Will Quicken continue to research this?
  • Chuck85
    Chuck85 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The OFXLOG file has account numbers in the XML returned as well as balances from what I can see.  I must admit that I'm not sure what files are sent to Quicken though as I haven't had to do that.  Maybe there is a way to sanitize what is sent to Quicken if it includes information from the OFXLOG file.
  • Michael Sayre
    Michael Sayre Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Joe said:

+1
  • Michael Sayre
    Michael Sayre Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Joe said:

Also my accounts with Fidelity work fine. I do not have a brokerage account. My wife's accounts with Fidelity have the OL-301-A error. She has brokerage accounts x 2.
  • Joe25
    Joe25 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Jon said:

I'm having the same issue with the latest release of QW R14.27.  I have tried all of the techniques in Joe's description above as well.

Well, if enough of us bring this to everyone's attention... one can only hope. 
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Joe said:

Sarah,
     Since you've been kind enough to reach out and instruct, can you tell me if/when files are sent that ever have anything connected to account information such as passwords or account numbers?  I've always been leery of sending files with sensitive information but it's difficult to know what is contained in files.

Additionally, I reread the Quicken Support email I received and I am concerned that it is left up to me to contact the financial institution and manage this malfunction with them.  Will Quicken continue to research this?

Hi Joe,

The requested log files do not contain passwords, Usernames or the full account number, some Financial Institution's may transmit partial account number or obfuscate the data and only show the last 2 or 4 digits of the account number.  These logs detail the information Quicken sends to the Financial Institution and the response or information received from the Financial Institution.  In reviewing these communications, there are often additional internal error messages or communications that provide more insight into what the cause of the error is, beyond the generic error code shown in Quicken. 

I took the liberty of reviewing the already submitted log files from the contact with Support on 10/16/2018 and can see an error in the information being sent to Quicken from Fidelity Netbenefits.

Since we can confirm that the error is in the data being sent from Fidelity and Quicken does not have access to the Financial Institution servers to correct the information directly, the next steps to resolve this error would be for all Users receiving this error to contact Fidelity Netbenefits directly and request an escalation to their OFX team so the incorrect data can be corrected at the server level.  

When contacting Fidelity, please provide them a copy of your OFX Log, this can be found in the Help Menu > Log Files and for your convenience here is the snippet from the OFX Log that shows the error (redacted to protect your privacy):

I hope this additional information helps to better explain what the root cause of this error is and the necessary next steps to resolve.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    see this link, the problem nay be with the FI and only the FI can resolve
    https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-ol-301
  • Joe25
    Joe25 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Thanks everyone, I will be contacting Fidelity to elevate this to them as part of my concern. I hope everyone else does the same.

I appreciate all the wonderful assistance on this community.  I'll post what Fidelity says.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Chuck said:

Bingo.  I have BrokerageLink and non-BrokerageLink assets in my Fidelity 401K.  Disabling online access for BrokerageLink lets me download transactions for the rest of my Netbenefits holding.

I notice that the price updates do work, so it is just the transactions which are missing.  Until it is fixed, one can manually download transactions in QFX format from Fidelity. 

I've got more and more accounts with various institutions where I have to manually download transactions.  Since the only reason I upgrade (now 'subscribe to') Quicken is for continued all-in-one download, I may just stop upgrading and switch to manual transaction download, and import-from-QFX.

Declining financial institution support for Quicken download suggests that it may be becoming a niche product.
  • Joe25
    Joe25 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Chuck said:

I've never used this but perhaps it's time I tried and avoid this from ever being an issue.  Is it difficult or will it create duplicate accounts?
  • K109
    K109 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    On mine, there seems to be a disconnect between the Brokeragelink one step update log and the account log.  Immediately after updating, it has the correct last download date and time listed by the account name when I'm in the actual account itself.  It has a different last successful connect in the one step update log.  Quicken Premier 2016 V R18.4
  • Joe25
    Joe25 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    K said:

On mine, there seems to be a disconnect between the Brokeragelink one step update log and the account log.  Immediately after updating, it has the correct last download date and time listed by the account name when I'm in the actual account itself.  It has a different last successful connect in the one step update log.  Quicken Premier 2016 V R18.4

Same with mine, Quicken 19 R14.27.  I see in my original post I stated it is Q18. My bad.
  • Doug DArche
    Doug DArche Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The Fidelity connection works fine.  The Net Benefits connection is broken.  It appears to be a Net Benefits issue.  I have notified Net Benefits.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2019

The Fidelity connection works fine.  The Net Benefits connection is broken.  It appears to be a Net Benefits issue.  I have notified Net Benefits.

Go get'em Doug!
  • Just Me and Not Someone Else
    Just Me and Not Someone Else Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Fidelity Benefits is giving me an unspecified error message and not syncing trans....

For the past two weeks when I synch accounts using one step update my accounts Fidelity NetBenefits would not synch and I would receive an error message (without a code).  Next I would go to the individual accounts and update transactions and that would work.  Today both methods have stopped working and no transactions will download.  No error codes are given
  • Joe25
    Joe25 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Thanks, Doug.  I haven't done that yet.  Will send and email now
  • Just Me and Not Someone Else
    Just Me and Not Someone Else Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Fidelity NetBenefits not Downloading.

For the past two weeks when I synch accounts using one step update my accounts Fidelity NetBenefits would not synch and I would receive an error message (without a code).  Next I would go to the individual accounts and update transactions and that would work. 

Today both methods of updating accounts at Fidelity NetBenefits have stopped working; no transactions will download to Quicken.  

No error codes are given.

Running Windows and Quick 2019 R14.27, build 27.1.14.27

• Joe25
    Joe25 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Looks like it's stemming from same issue.
This discussion has been closed.