Quicken 2007 Mac to Quicken 2019 Mac???

CharPatton
CharPatton Member ✭✭
Any reason not to upgrade?

Quicken 2007 has worked great for me for years but is getting a bit long in the tooth. I just bought Quicken 2019 and am running High Safari (soon to step up to Mojave). Does anyone have any advice about whether or not I should migrate all my data files to 2019 and start using it exclusively?

Thank you!!!

Comments

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    My recommendation s to run both versions side by side for a while. Then you can make a sound decision on your own - based on how you use Quicken and what are the most important features to you.

FWIW, I have been running QWin and QMac for several tears now - not quite ready to drop QWin - but steadily getting closer.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    JM said:

My recommendation s to run both versions side by side for a while. Then you can make a sound decision on your own - based on how you use Quicken and what are the most important features to you.

FWIW, I have been running QWin and QMac for several tears now - not quite ready to drop QWin - but steadily getting closer.

"...for several tears..." Freudian slip?

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Yes, run them side by side and compare. The following is to help you make sure that Quicken 2019 for Mac will meet your needs, since it is not an upgrade from QM2007 but rather from Quicken Essentials (which was re-written from the ground up, starting in 2010, then continued with QM2015 onward), so there are some features that are still not there e.g. full loan amortization*, 2-line display, QuickMath, or are not as fully developed yet, e.g. Customized Reports, performance reports and stats (therefore some data may not carry over).

You can read a lot more about the differences here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-or-qm2007

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Scott Schmidt
    Scott Schmidt Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    As stated above there are some features that you will miss, but others have been added.  There is a bit of a learning curve because it is so different.  Most reports indicate that the QM2007 data import works well, although I have had some issues with it.  A big thing to remember is that QM2007 will not run on MacOS after Mojave, since it is 32-bit code and it will NOT be updated to 64-bit.  So, if you ever want to update your Mac after that point, you will be forced to go to the new Quicken.  Good luck.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    JM said:

A spontaneous response :<)))
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2018
    @CharPatton, the thing to understand is that all of us Quicken users depend on different features and functionality in the software, so our experiences moving from Quicken 2007 to 2019 vary wildly. There are some who still haven't made the move because of one or more missing features, especially around reports. Others make the switch and find the new program is perfectly suited to their needs. And still others fall in the middle: they've switched, and they miss some functionality, but can work around the limitations to make it work for them well-enough. There's no way to know which bucket of users you'll fall into, and that's why we recommend trying it yourself in order to determine if it works well, or well enough, for your needs.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • CharPatton
    CharPatton Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks so much to all for their wise advice; much appreciated!!!

I do use custom reports not infrequently, so a move now might not be seamless. But will try running in parallel for awhile as you all suggest to try and learn more.

Much appreciated.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2018

I do use custom reports not infrequently, so a move now might not be seamless. But will try running in parallel for awhile as you all suggest to try and learn more.

Much appreciated.

Some custom reports are easy to create in new Quicken (once you figure out the somewhat goofy user-interfece entrance to creating reports*), and some custom reports you could easily make in Quicken 2007 simply can't be created at all with the current report engine. So it will depend on what reports you had or need...

*The key to creating a lot of reports is using the innocuous-looking "New Report" on the Reports menu or dropdown. It looks like it's a single thing, but it's actually the entrance to a wide variety of reports you can create. This is the new reports engine the development team has been working on over the past year; we expect it will gain a more robust variety of reports, as well as an improved interface to start a report, in the year ahead. All the named reports on the Reports menu are older-style reports carried over from the 2010-era Quicken Essentials; most of them will likely be re-done using the new reports engine somewhere down the line. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • CharPatton
    CharPatton Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Much appreciated.

Mucho gracias; appreciate the insight!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    JM said:

"High Safari"?

That should be "High Sierra".  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    JM said:

clearly   ;-)

This discussion has been closed.