What date range do I set for the "Save a Copy" window??

Mark439
Mark439 Member ✭✭
Quicken for Mac 2007,  Mac OS 10.14.2 -- Current file works and is accurate.   But I can't complete reindexing.   I don't get the large error window.   I get "unable to erase partly copied files".  And it quits.   Then Save a Copy stops with  "Quicken was unable to reconstruct the last transactions of your file.  Please re-enter this information."    But ...... The resulting saved file is really mixed up.   Empty entries, shares, amounts shifted about.    But current file works fine.   Need to know what date range to set in Save a Copy.  ???

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    Mark, it's hard to say. Something in your database is corrupted, and more badly than the normal re-indexing is able to solve. You say the file works fine, but clearly something is wrong. I wonder if you do a search or QuickReport for something with no date limitation (e.g. all transactions) if it will run correctly or fail? Usually, when my Quicken 2007 data file has been messed up in some way, trying to search through the entire database makes it stop with an error.

My thought would be to (a) make a copy (or two... or more!) of your current file, and then (b) try various dates for Save A Copy. Try from the beginning of time to a month ago. Then until 6 months ago, or a year ago; keep working backward until you get one that works. Or you could try from the other direction, omitting the oldest data in various iterations until you get one that works. The goal is to get some version which works, and which runs through reindexing without a problem, with the least data omitted. Since we don't know where the corruption is in your database, I have no idea how to guess what dates to use other than via trial and error.

Another option you might consider is purchasing Quicken 2019 to see if it will import your data, and if so, what errors it reveals in the very detailed log file it generates while importing. You can get a refund from Quicken within 30 days of purchase if you decide not to continue forward with Quicken 2019, but it might help with the diagnosis in a way we can't do in Quicken 2007.

I suppose it goes without saying that you know those of us who are still using Quicken 2007 are operating on very, very borrowed time with Quicken 2007 -- and your file is giving you warning signs of problems to boot. Unless the modern Quicken Mac is absolutely unusable for your needs, you might consider the desirability of moving onto a stable platform before Quicken 2007 fails for you completely. (The modern Quicken Mac uses an industry-standard SQL database that it not prone to the same types of problems as the database in Quicken 2007.) Yes, there's a cost for purchasing the new Quicken Mac and continuing to pay the annual subscription fee going forward, but for many of us longtime Quicken Mac users, there's immense value in maintaining our historical data even at the nominal annual cost.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Mark439
    Mark439 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks much for your quick reply.   Yes, I been doing just what you suggested in your second paragraph.   I have three questions I wanted to air out with you.

1.  Does the QIF method work?   I tried it once and couldn't get it to completer, but I don't really remember what happened.   Since it is not mentioned that I see, I have assumed it's a loser.

2.   I had a clear error in that the Stock Register and Bond Register balances did not match with those balances shown in lists and portfolio.

And I found that the Bond balance was exactly $5000 short and the Stock balance was plus $5000 !!   That was my clue but I studied it before reentering four transactions properly.   The check/bank register was not incorrect, but it did suffer deletions/corrections.    It was my mistake and know better.   The mistake was using transfer when I shouldn't have.      OK, so after reentering four-eight transactions, the balances agreed with those in Lists and Portfolio window.   I have made copies of this now corrected file and keep them in the +HFS partition on the internal.  You guys helped me set that up a few months back so that Q would make backup copies. 

Now my question here:    Could the reindexing process get stuck trying to get through my significant deletions and reentering of transactions?    It says it can't  "reconstruct the last transactions from your file.   Please reenter this information."   Well, that I can understand.   I don't understand what it's complaining about now.    File is fine now, as I said.    I will continue  to try to get an earlier file to index properly.

3.   I understand iCloud can mess up files.   Well, I have been moving a copy of this corrected file to the main partition.    iCloud is on.    Is this a problem?    Do I assume those files are corrupted?

Also saving corrected copies on a thumb drive.   I back up manually every Friday or weekly, anyway, to an external bootable with CCC backup.   Haven't yet gone to TM, but I did buy a drive for it.

I am OK with moving to Quicken 2019.   As you say, not much choice in the matter sooner or later, probably sooner.    But if I have corrupted files?    Good Grief.    Thank you so much for your patience with all this.

Oh, what is QuickReport?    You mean I should try from 18 years back?

• jacobs
    edited January 2019
    Mark,

(1) "Does the QIF method work?" To do what, exactly? To move your data to Quicken 2019? No, Quicken Mac doesn't import QIF files. Well, it does and doesn't. There's an import that was created specifically for importing QIF data from iBank/Banktivity and MoneyDance into Quicken Mac. I don't believe it works for exporting from Quicken 2007 to import into Quicken 2019. But why would you want to, when Quicken 2019 can directly import a Quicken 2007 data file?

(2) No, reindexing shouldn't care at all that you deleted some transactions and entered some others manually. It won't even care if your balances are off. It only cares if there are garbled or incomplete transactions.

As I wrote above, "File is fine now" is probably not true. If you can't foo a Save A Copy and you can't reindex, then your file is definitely not fine. You're simply not running into wherever the data corruption lies. (I had a data corruption in my Quicken 2007 data file that I hadn't noticed for more than a year until I tried to import my data into the modern Quicken Mac, and the log file revealed to me that hundreds of transactions were amiss. They were transactions my my wife's petty cash account, so it wasn't something I was likely to have noticed unless I have been looking for something there int he specific date range that was affected. So my file was fine for my usage, but it wasn't actually fine.)

(3) The problem with iCloud (and Dropbox) involves getting locked out of your data completely, due to changes in file permissions within the data file as the file is moved back and forth. It seems unlikely to me that the problem you're seeing has anything to do with iCloud, especially if your data file is not stored in your Documents or Desktop folder where it is actually living on iCloud. (It's easy to turn off iCloud from storing your Desktop and Documents folder in System Preferences > iCloud, and I'd recommend doing that if you want to store your Quicken data file in one of those locations... but I don't think that's your problem.)

In terms of moving to Quicken 2019, I was suggesting it as a possible way to (a) test if it can read and import your damaged Quicken 2007 data file, and (b) use it to get the diagnostic report it generates while importing. If it *can* import successfully, and after careful comparison between your 2007 and 2019 data, you get all your balances correct and don't see any large chunks of missing data, then you might be bette roff just moving forward with Quicken 2019 and having the piece of mind that your database is now stable. If it can't import successfully, there's a reasonable change the log file will point you to the account, and possibly even the specific transactions, that it is having a problem with. After that, you might be able to correct those transactions in your Quicken 2007 file and continue using Quicken 2007 for while longer, if you wish. As you say, you'll need to move to the modern Quicken Mac eventually, but it may not need to be immediately, depending on what you find.

"What is QuickReport?" It's a pretty key feature in Quicken 2007, which allows you to quickly generate a report with a date range and a single other criterion: find me transactions between 2012 and 2015 from Payee=Home Depot, find me transactions from last year with Category=Dining, find me transactions from all dates with Memo=Hot Water Heater, etc.  QuickReport is under the Activities menu (and possibly in your Toolbar, called "QkReport" if you configured it to be there). I suggested using QuickReport because I thought you'd be familiar with it. Doing a QuickReport with the Date set to All Transactions and then searching for an example like the ones I listed causes Quicken to search the database, and will often fail if it finds the index to the database is messed up.
  • Mark439
    Mark439 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    OK ---  Looked at QuickReport.    How should I do the settings to get a general "find something wrong" report?     All Transactions - got that one.

Also, should I go for Quicken 2019 Premier ?        
  • jacobs
    edited January 2019
    Mark, you're misunderstanding. There is no report that will specifically "find something wrong." I was just suggesting that you try some searches, with the date set to all transactions, to see if they work or stop with an error. Search for a Payee you use often, and one you don't use often. Search for a category or sub-category, like Dining or Groceries or Travel. Search for something you'd have in the memo field of some transactions. If it does all those searches without a hiccup, than perhaps your data problem is limited to just a transaction or a few. For me, those types of searches often trigger the re-indexing routine if Quicken determines something isn't meeting its internal consistency checks.

Premier? I would say probably not. Currently, for Mac, it doesn't get you much more. In fact, it gets you only two features, both external to the program itself. (1) You get a special phone number for contacting Quicken Support that puts you at the front of the line for service representatives. To me, that's not too useful; it might be useful if you think you're likely to call Support more than once or twice. (2) You get free use of Quicken Bill Pay, a service provided through a third-party company which allows you to pay up to 10 bills a month from within Quicken. For me, I don't really need a bill pay service (I pay most of my bills either via automatic charges/debits or by going to the company website and entering my payment), and if I did, my bank offers me one for free. If you're currently paying for a bill pay service, then this might be of value to you; otherwise, probably not. Be aware that there are lots of complaints on this site about the long time (typically over a month) it takes to get set up on Quicken Bill Pay, and the hoops you need to jump through for the sign-up process, although it typically works okay after that. If those two features don't add value to you, then get Deluxe -- so software is currently identical. (They've suggested that in the future, some advanced investment functionality may appear for Premier users and not Deluxe users, as exists on the Windows platform, but currently, there is no such differentiation.)
  • Mark439
    Mark439 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Yes, good, thank you.    I am just not at all familiar with QuickReport.   Much like testing old files with indexing.    And yes, I pay bills auto and online.   Deluxe is OK.     You are a huge help.   Let you know .... 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Is your drive formatted as APFS under Mojave? If so, that is most likely the root of your problem. Save a Copy, Automatic Backups and other file management features are not compatible with APFS formatted drives.

You can get around this by storing BOTH your data files and any backups on a HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) formatted drive or partition. If you do not have an external drive, you could try creating a HFS+ partition on your drive.

Read more about this here: Is Quicken for Mac 2007 Compatible with Mojave (macOS 10.14)?

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    edited January 2019

Is your drive formatted as APFS under Mojave? If so, that is most likely the root of your problem. Save a Copy, Automatic Backups and other file management features are not compatible with APFS formatted drives.

You can get around this by storing BOTH your data files and any backups on a HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) formatted drive or partition. If you do not have an external drive, you could try creating a HFS+ partition on your drive.

Read more about this here: Is Quicken for Mac 2007 Compatible with Mojave (macOS 10.14)?

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Good point. I didn’t go in that direction originally because his original problem was “I can't complete reindexing.” Does APFS prevent that functionality from working?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Sometimes it can but not enough sample size to confirm 100%.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.