Error occurred while preparing the Quicken 2007 file to be imported to Quicken 2017 for Mac

2»

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019

I would try reindexing your file back in 2007 first. Also, you might wish to get rid of that $ in the filename. It isn't a reserved character, but 2007 is a really old program at heart so who knows if that is causing issues.

https://www.quicken.com/support/troubleshooting-data-file-problems-quicken-mac-2007

The problem appears to have arisen around the time after your MacOS Lion machine crashed. How did you get this file off your Lion machine? Was the machine in which you installed Sierra on the same or different Mac?

I am looking at how the file got moved to your new setup (be it the same machine or not.) That old style file is very temperamental, and can easily be rendered useless (both to 2007 and later versions) if it is not moved correctly. 

Forget about the newer versions of Quicken for now; if the file can't be opened in 2007, then anything newer can't as well.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019

I would try reindexing your file back in 2007 first. Also, you might wish to get rid of that $ in the filename. It isn't a reserved character, but 2007 is a really old program at heart so who knows if that is causing issues.

https://www.quicken.com/support/troubleshooting-data-file-problems-quicken-mac-2007

Yes, same machine in which I installed the Sierra.  I was able to boot up the Mac with Lion then opened QM2007 and backed up the file in a USB before installing the Sierra...

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019

I really can't add more. You just have to make sure that the file was moved to and from the USB drive via a working version of MacOS. (The file is getting broken apart and put back back together in the process. If part of that step is missing, you lose a very important part of the file.)

Also, make sure you have copied your working file back to your Mac and off the USB drive before trying to access it. That is about all I can suggest as your file might be damaged beyond repair.

I wish you luck.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    I had the same problem. It turns out that Q17 can't import Q07 files. You have to have Q16, which will import the .qdfm file. Then you can import the Q16 file into Q17. (I found this out over the course of a 2 hour phone call with Quicken support.)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

I had the same problem. It turns out that Q17 can't import Q07 files. You have to have Q16, which will import the .qdfm file. Then you can import the Q16 file into Q17. (I found this out over the course of a 2 hour phone call with Quicken support.)

That normally should not be the case but there are always exception. QM2017 is normally capable of reading QM2007 directly but sometimes intermediaries are needed to do some internal clean-up, though this is the first time I have heard QM2016 being one of those intermediaries.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jon857
    jon857 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Since the reason we updated to Quicken 2017 is because Quicken 2007 will not run under El Capitan, John in NC's suggestion is impossible to follow.

Just to mention I am running QM16.2.4 2007 under OS 10.12.6 (Sierra) & have been for a year & works just fine. Installed QM2017 this weekend for potential transition but not exactly equivalent. It'll be interesting.
  • jon857
    jon857 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Not my experience this weekend???? Was running QM2007 16.2.4 & directly imported into QM2017 4.8.3
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019

This has been resolved, though it was anything but straightforward! This is an example of why I am so hesitant to upgrade OSes or even applications.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019

Thank you
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Please do share how you resolved it.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.