What the file name will be?

Unknown
Unknown Member
I was using Quicken for Mac 2007 and I just installed Quicken 2019 for Mac version 5.9.2. I need to maintain two separate files. One for checking and credit cards. The other for the brokerage account. The file for the checking and credit cards is named "Quicken 2019.quicken". How will the brokerage file be named?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    When you create a new file, it would normally be named "Roberto's Finances.quicken" if your Mac username is Roberto. You can change it to anything you want by clicking menu File > Rename...
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    BTW, just be aware that QM2019 is NOT an upgrade from QM2007 but a migration... QM2019 is a new Quicken for Mac product rebuilt from the ground up (built on QEM from 2010) so it still lacks features that exist in QM2007. So be sure to understand if it will meet your needs. You can read a lot more about the differences here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-or-qm2007

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    Roberto, I'm just curious why you'd need a separate file for your brokerage account. One of the key benefits to Quicken is being able to store all your financial data in one place. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    jacobs said:

Roberto, I'm just curious why you'd need a separate file for your brokerage account. One of the key benefits to Quicken is being able to store all your financial data in one place. 

I keep my checking and credit card info only for the current year, but my brokerage transactions are kept forever.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    RickO said:

When you create a new file, it would normally be named "Roberto's Finances.quicken" if your Mac username is Roberto. You can change it to anything you want by clicking menu File > Rename...

My file is named quicken 2019.quicken

Thanks
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    jacobs said:

But why? Wouldn't it be better to have all your history in one place? What if you want to look up something that was charged on a credit card a couple years ago? Personally, I have 20 years of transactions for all accounts in my one file and it works without problem.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    jacobs said:

I DO save the yearly file...
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    jacobs said:

The point is that you can keep all your transactions in a single file. Of course, there's a need to make and maintain backups in case of problems, but you can easily keep all your years of checking and credit card transactions along with your investments in one file. There's no need to create yearly files or keep things separate; in fact, what you're doing is swimming upstream against what Quicken is designed to do. If it works for you and you want to keep going that way, that's fine -- we're just telling you that there's another way that's even easier and more versatile.

(By the way, for all those single-year files you have, be sure to open them in the current version every year or two to update them to the latest file format. If you don't, you might find that when you need to look up something from many years ago, the current Quicken is unable to open the old file.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    jacobs said:

Thank you very much.

Will keep that in mind.
This discussion has been closed.