Why did Intuit stop allowing export of data in QIF

Unknown
Unknown Member
I just learned that I am locked into Q2019Mac since there is no way in 2-3 yrs to export my data in QIF format if I want to change to another app--do I mis-understand?

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Unfortunately, that is correct. That said, there are a few alternatives (not great):
    • You can copy and paste all your transactions in a register to wherever you want
    • using reports, you can export data to CSV format
    • not sure if there are any applications that can handle this but you can export to QXF file format (normally reserved to transferring to another copy of Quicken).
    (If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Unfortunately, that is correct. That said, there are a few alternatives (not great):

• You can copy and paste all your transactions in a register to wherever you want
    • not sure if there are any applications that can handle this but you can export to QXF file format (normally reserved to transferring to another copy of Quicken).
    (If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Oh, BTW, Intuit no longer owns Quicken, as Quicken is its own company as of April 2016 (though it still uses Intuit for some online functionality).

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Is there any suggestion to make a better export method available?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    QMac register transactions can be exported to CSV format files (File > Export > Register...........).
    There are CSV to QIF converters available.
    You can still get there.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    I will add this: Quicken's internal data format is not secret or proprietary. It is an SQLite database. Another software company could program their app to extract the data and import it into their format. I'm not saying it would be easy, but it could be done. It would be up to the other program to work this out.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

No. There was some very recent discussion about it with Quicken Marcus (product manager) starting here: 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-subscription-v5-9-released?topic...

but no one has raised a request beyond restoring the QMTF or improving the QXF format here:
    Add Ability to Select Content of QXF File for Export

I guess the question would be, what format?

• mshiggins
    edited January 2019

QIF would be a good start.

• mshiggins
    edited January 2019
    RickO said:

I will add this: Quicken's internal data format is not secret or proprietary. It is an SQLite database. Another software company could program their app to extract the data and import it into their format. I'm not saying it would be easy, but it could be done. It would be up to the other program to work this out.

Is the data structure known?

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    RickO said:

It can be gleaned from the open SQLite database. Note: only applies to Mac version. I have no idea what Win version uses under the covers.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

That's the obvious answer...but all I see are statements that QUicken is moving away from that, for whatever reasons.

• mshiggins
    edited January 2019
    RickO said:

So one can do SQL queries on the QMac database?

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    RickO said:

Sure, if you know enough to muck around in there, and want to risk doing something which could mess up your data file if you do something wrong. But for read-only purposes, you could do it if you could piece together the structure of the database.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • mshiggins
    edited January 2019
    RickO said:

Thanks for the info.

• bball629
    bball629 Member ✭✭
    RickO said:
    Would you know where to find the SQLite database on Windows? I can't seem to find any .db or .sqlite files anywhere in my quicken files or in the program files folder.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    bball629 said:
    RickO said:
    Would you know where to find the SQLite database on Windows? I can't seem to find any .db or .sqlite files anywhere in my quicken files or in the program files folder.
    The above statement only applies to QMac, as this discussion thread is about QMac.

But regarding QWin, it does not use a SQLite database.

This discussion has been closed.