Quicken Essentials Stopped Working

Options
I just upgraded to 10.14.3 Mojave, and now my Quicken Essentials won't work. The only thing I use Quicken for is to keep a check register. That is it. Absolutely nothing else. When I make a payment out of my checking account, I manually enter it into Quicken to keep track of how much money I have in my account. I've been doing this for a million years.

How can I get my data back? Is there a version of Quicken I can buy so that I can continue to update my register? I don't want a subscription, as it seems ridiculous to pay $30/year just to enter data into a register.

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you do not want to pay annually, purchase the Deluxe version and pay once. Then turn off Auto-renew in your QUicken.com account. Then you can use Quicken in manual mode for as long it stays compatible with your macOS.

Shop around to get the best price.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• lisahthomas
    lisahthomas Member ✭✭
    Options
    If I go that route, do you know if I will be able to import my data from Essentials? 

Thanks!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Support for Quicken Essentials was discontinued four years ago, and the last macOS it worked on was El Capitan (10.11), three macOS versions ago.

The successor program to Quicken Essentials was Quicken 2015, followed by Quicken 2016, Quicken 2017, and then the current Quicken Subscription (2018-2019) products. If you want just the basic check register, you could look around online for someone selling any of those pre-subscription versions. (The best option would be Quicken 2017, which has many improvements over the 2015 and 2016 versions). Although automatic downloading for Quicken 2017 will end about a year from now, if you're just entering transactions manually, that won't affect you. You'll be able to keep using Quicken 2017 indefinitely... until inevitably some macOS update will break it. It that point, you'll need to decide to get the lowest-level subscription or find an alternative... but you don't have to cross that bridge for several years.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • lisahthomas
    lisahthomas Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm open to either option. It might actually be less expensive to get the Deluxe subscription and then turn off the auto renew. But I'd want to make sure I can import the data file from my old version of Quicken. Does anyone know if this would work?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Yes, any of the versions from 2015 and beyond will directly import Quicken Essentials data files.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.