IDEA: Debt Reduction Planner (32 Legacy Votes)

jandbwilhelm
jandbwilhelm Member ✭✭✭
To track the votes of these IDEAS separately, this thread is now being used to only track the Debt Reduction Planner.

To vote on the one of the Lifetime/Retirement or the Tax planners, click on this link to see the post below to see instructions and links where to go. 
https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/please-add-planning-tab-to-quicken-for-mac-to-do...
22 votes

Planned · Last Updated

This idea is not currently on the Development roadmap. If you would like to see this change implemented in Quicken, be sure to add your vote and comment explaining why this feature would be beneficial to you. Update 10/10/23-This request has been accepted by the Development team for future implementation. Quicken’s product development teams do not provide an estimate of when new/enhanced features will be completed and released. CTP-7538

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for making this suggestion.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• ccismarin
    ccismarin Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Yes, please! When I looked at the promotional screenshots, the loan management tool looked a lot like the debt reduction planning tool for Windows, so I bought the product thinking it was some version of it, only to find out that it is not. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Addition of the Planning Tools would be a great addition to the Quicken Mac product. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Sure would be nice to get these features back. Used to have them 20+ years ago, until the product was turned into a basic checkbook.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    These planning tools, including the Lifetime Planner, the Retirement Calculator, the College Calculator, the Loan Calculator, the Refinance Calculator, and Retirement Calculator should be added to the Mac version, as for Windows.  I'm a lifetime Mac user, and got the latest upgrade for the 2018 Deluxe and paid good money for membership, too.   I'm reaching retirement age and was a financial planner, so I have these on my HP-12c calculator.  I didn't know these tools were available, until I got the latest 2017 user's guide, written by Bobbi Sands, that they were even available. Please make it a high priority, as these are reality simple and been around a long time.  No new developed would be required. 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2019

These planning tools, including the Lifetime Planner, the Retirement Calculator, the College Calculator, the Loan Calculator, the Refinance Calculator, and Retirement Calculator should be added to the Mac version, as for Windows.  I'm a lifetime Mac user, and got the latest upgrade for the 2018 Deluxe and paid good money for membership, too.   I'm reaching retirement age and was a financial planner, so I have these on my HP-12c calculator.  I didn't know these tools were available, until I got the latest 2017 user's guide, written by Bobbi Sands, that they were even available. Please make it a high priority, as these are reality simple and been around a long time.  No new developed would be required. 

Deanna, the Mac and Windows products are completely different, developed using different programming tools around different databases. Your request for these planning tools is completely valid; I'm just noting that they would need to be developed from scratch for the Mac; it would require new development.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I'm just saying that these are the kind of decent tools I need now, and have been living without the whole time. Yet, they've been developed and maintained on Windows for years.  They're also straight forward, not too complicated.  I think Quicken should commit to doing that for us Mac users.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2019

The folks at Quicken have committed to parity between QW & QM there is no date for when this parity will be achieved , expect it is a few yrs away.
  • jandbwilhelm
    jandbwilhelm Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

This should be an absolute priority for 2018.  I used Q for Windows for years & expected the same features for MAC.  Instead it's been a HUGE step back & we have paid good money to have these features.  Just because you already have our money is no excuse for not making this a priority.  We look forward to your prompt attention to this matter.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I am a long-time user of Quicken, and loved the debt reduction planner in the Quicken for Windows products. I recently switched to a Mac, and was very disappointed to discover after purchase that Quicken for Mac doesn't have the same planning features.  Just another vote to please add this feature for Mac users, as well. Thanks!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This IDEA thread is an overlap with 2 other IDEA threads but to keep the demand for these planner ideas separate to help out the priorities for the developers, these need to be kept separate.

So, this thread will be kept to track demand for the Debt Reduction only. If you are interested in one or both of the other two, 

You can add your VOTE to: 
    First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

This idea will eventually be added to the List of Requests for New CapabilitiesClick on the underlined link, then click FOLLOW at the top of the page so you can be notified of any new related IDEAS to which you could add your vote when they are added. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Add the planning tools from QM2007 to Quicken for Mac and add additional integrat....

QM2007 included planning calculators for loans, refinancing, investments & savings, college, and retirement.  Could we get similar planning calculators built into the current version?  Could they be optionally integrated with account setup so that the planning could be implemented?  For instance, if I wanted to save $2M for retirement, I could have the option of setting up the account, adding a budget item, and recommended amounts to make it happen by a certain date or over a period of time.  Seems that loan setup used to work similarly in QM2007 in that it would amortize the loan, setup a principal account, and setup a scheduled transaction.
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Advanced Debt Repayment Calculator in Quicken Mac (or all).

There's a really neat (Credit card/simple loan-only) debt repayment calculator created by Vertex42 LLC, posted here, free version. Perhaps Quicken could chat with Vertex42 and license a copy of this or come up with similar functionality to integrate into Quicken? I love that I can see a payment plan that changes as each debt account is paid off. I love that it lets you choose to see interested saved by both snowball and avalanche and custom account repayment sorting methods. This would be great to look "across accounts". Currently functionality lets users look "within accounts" but this would be a great value add I think. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    This and savings goals are the two features I wish quicken mac had :-( Currently using 3rd party apps but I'd love for Quicken to be my one stop shop for finances. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

This and savings goals are the two features I wish quicken mac had :-( Currently using 3rd party apps but I'd love for Quicken to be my one stop shop for finances. 

You can add your VOTE to Add Savings Goals.

First
    , click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

This idea will eventually be added to the List of Requests for New CapabilitiesClick on the underlined link, then click FOLLOW at the top of the page so you can be notified of any new related IDEAS to which you could add your vote when they are added. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Add Debt Reduction Planner to Mac Version.

Add Debt Reduction Planner to Mac Version
  • Wes101
    Wes101 Member
    Why does Mac STILL NOT HAVE DEBT REDUCTION PLANNER? The Windows version is TOO BUGGY to even use, which is why I'm using Mac in the first place.
  • Wes101
    Wes101 Member
    Why is this still not implemented? I can't even use the Windows version because it is too buggy and crashes constantly. The Mac version seems more stable (still has its issues), but the features are very lacking.
  • System
    System Member admin
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Debt Reduction.
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Hello Wes. Appreciate your comments.

I have changed this to a Idea thread so that others can vote so that this may show up in a future release for Quicken for Mac.  

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • jacobs
    edited March 2019
    Why doesn't this feature exist in Quicken Mac yet? The simple answer is that there are dozens, probably hundreds, of features users have been clamoring for the Quicken developers to incorporate in Quicken Mac as they slowly build out this product. It's definitely frustrating that the progress is slow and incremental, but new things are getting added every few months. Why has this feature not been done? It's likely that it's one that fewer users have been asking for/complaining about. That doesn't mean that it's unimportant, or that it won't get done -- just that it's lower on the priority list than other things which have been completed or which are in the works for the near future. You should visit the link above to vote for the idea. It's the only small thing we as users can do to influence which priorities the developers act on. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW there literally ARE hundreds... in fact well over 500. ;)

• smm46852
    smm46852 Member
    I'm very frustrated because I paid for a subscription to Quicken so that I could create a debt reduction plan, only to find out from customer service that it is not available on MAC, only on Windows. To make it worse, there is no ETA on when this is going to be rolled out.

It is beyond me why this has not been done yet. There are people in the world (lots of creatives) who use MACs.

Please make this a priority!
  • chuckellen
    chuckellen Member
    I'm with you! I used it back when I had a Windows computer and it was great. I don't understand what's so difficult.
  • jacobs
    I'm not disagreeing with your desire for this feature, just explaining: there are literally several hundred user requests for features in Quicken Mac, and they can't all be done at once, or even in a year or two or three. It's been 4 and a half years since the modern Quicken Mac was first released, and a lot of progress has been made -- but there's still a long way to go to achieve parity with the Windows version. The good news is that they do seem to be making progress on implementing key features, so there's hope for the future; the bad news is that at the current pace, it will take years more before some of the highly requested features are implemented.

What's so difficult is that (a) the code is pretty complex, and so certain changes can take a developer several months of work to implement; (b) the development team isn't huge, and they can't just throw lots of more bodies at it because the revenues form Quicken Mac apparently don't justify more growth in the development staff; and (c) there are literally hundreds of features, large and small, which users are clamoring for. They don't say much about what will come or when, but the product manager has dropped some teasers in recent months that they're working on continuing to build out the new reports, implementing a way to handle fund transfers in budgets, and revamping how transactions are categorized and memorized, to name a few. 

Again, don't shoot me for trying to explain, or say I'm making excuses for Quicken (I'm not) -- only trying to share some insight about why particular features aren't implemented yet.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be sure to add you vote above by clicking the grey triangle under the count!

• Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    Unless I’m reading things wrong, it looks like this idea is already planned by the developers. Is this the same idea?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7631531/idea-debt-reduction-planner-29-legacy-votes/p1
  • jacobs
    @Austin I think you’re correct — that other thread, which pre-dates this one, was indeed marked as “planned” back a few months ago. That’s great news for Quicken Mac users, because this feature goes beyond improving “core functionality” to add one of the features needed to bring us closer to parity with Quicken Windows.

Now, the fact that the developers have said this feature is planned gives us no indication *when* it will be released; it might be planned for the next release or the middle of next year. They almost never indicate when particular features will arrive, and even their internal timeframe plans sometimes change due to development delays or bugs found in testing.
  • PNL.P
    PNL.P Member
    Seriously! Why is it listed a feature if it isn't. Why isn't it less expensive or listed as the lesser version. I can't believe it.
  • jacobs
    @PNL.P For the record, Quicken Mac has never had a Debt Reduction Planner through all the decades Quicken has existed, and it has never been sold at a lower cost than Quicken Windows.

As for being listed as a feature, I'm not seeing debt reduction planning listed anywhere on the web page of Quicken Mac features; where are you seeing that?

In any case, I'm not diminishing the valid desire for this feature. By all appearances, the developers have been focused mainly on adding functionality to replicate features from the legacy Quicken Mac and core Quicken Windows. Progress is tangible, but slower than anyone would wish.