how can i set up a loan as an asset with an amortization schedule in quicken mac deluxe 2019

redandandye@
redandandye@ Member
edited April 2019 in Investing (Mac)
how can i set up a loan as an asset with an amortization schedule in quicken deluxe 2019. 

Best Answers

Answers

• redandandye@
    redandandye@ Member
    edited April 2019
    is there another version of quicken for mac newer than 2007 that has this capability?
    [removed]
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Do you mean asset? If you have borrowed money as a loan, that's a liability; a loan that's an asset would be where you have loaned money to someone and they are paying you back over time? It's easy to do this in Quicken Mac, but there is no automated amortization feature for lender loans -- but again, it's pretty easy to work around that. Just confirm this is what you're wanting to do, and we can provide instructions.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • i do lend money so what i'm looking for the amortization schedule to be easily available.i've become accustomed to having auto amortization in my quicken for mac 2007.
    so i want to create a loan account which is an asset and when payments are made the program will help me allocate principal and interest.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The following discussion was started by another customer who also wants Lender Loans for the Mac version of Quicken.
    If you would like to see this enhancement made in a future version of Quicken please locate the big blue box near the top of this webpage (or page 1 for long discussions) and click the "Up" triangle under the voting count. Wait a moment for the vote count to be registered and updated before you continue.
    Feel free to add your own comments to this discussion.
  • i don't see a place to vote, but when i cancel my subscription, i'll be sure to tell them why.
  • jacobs
    edited April 2019
    @redandandye@ For something that would take you less than a minute a month, you’d abandon Quicken? 

Editing to add: I'm not trying to be snarky here. I'm trying to understand if this is really the issue, since it's very easy to work around, or if there's something more substantial which hasn't come up in this conversation. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And QM2007 never had loan amortization for you as a lender...so this is no different currently in "modern" QMac....

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• to jacobs- i have 30 of these loans receiving payments every month and they all have different durations and interest rates so yes, it is a real pain to give up the convenience that QM2007 has given me for all of these years. i can do as you say but i'd rather not so i'm going to look for another program. i might have to give up and come back to quicken but i'm hoping that they will change their program first.
  • to smayer97- i believe that you are mistaken about QM2007. i've been setting up amortized loan accounts with me as the lender for many years. need help finding it? i could help.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    redandandye@ you are absolutely correct. I have several loans I track but I never had to track lent out money so forgot about this feature. And since it has been a long time since I had to create a new loan from scratch, I forgot that it was there. I should have double checked before but I did now. Thx for reminding me.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• jacobs
    @redandandye@ I now understand. It didn't occur to me that someone might have as many lender loans as you do. For most people, there might be one, or maybe 2 -- not 30.

I imagine the Quicken developers will eventually add lender loan capabilities to Quicken Mac, but there are still a lot of features that hundreds of users have been asking for, which I would expect will be tackled before this. There's no way for us to know what's coming when, but if you're looking for this to be implemented in the very short-term future, my guess is that it won't be.

As for Quicken 2007, I also didn't know this functionality existed, but I see that it's indeed described in the manual (highlighting in yellow by me)...

Who knew? Quicken 2007: the gift that keeps on giving!

@redandandye@ Is it possible for you to continue using Quicken 2007 for awhile longer, while waiting for the modern Quicken Mac to catch up? It runs on any macOS up through the current Mojave -- you just wouldn't be able to upgrade to the next macOS this fall.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And just to complete the picture, I was trying to upload a screenshot of starting up a new loan... alas that is one feature I still have trouble with on this site. :\

This discussion has been closed.