Migration from MS Money 2004 to Quicken - but in UK -

I have two decades of records in MS Money 2004, on a PC (Win 7) that needs to retire.  
I want to transfer these records to a new PC with Windows 10 (2019) and use Quicken.  
Attempts to import files onto new PC have failed because the last available version of Money does not work in Win 10 (2019).  I do not want to install Quicken on the old PC.  

Question: How to get around these problems?  
Would I need to install Quicken on 2 machines to make the transition?  

Best Answers

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would install Quicken on both computers. Convert from Money to Quicken on the older PC and then move the Quicken data file to the new one.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • mchuta
    mchuta Member
    Does the licence fee for Quicken allow install on two PC?  
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Quicken 2017 and earlier allows for up to 3 PC's and Quicken Subscription allows unlimited.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • mchuta
    mchuta Member
    My financial system is modest, only domestic bank accounts.  What would be the most appropriate version of Quicken that is able to import *.qif from MS Money 2004?  
  • mchuta
    mchuta Member
    Thank you for the advice above.  I installed Quicken 2013 on the old PC that has windows 7 and MS Money records.  Initially Quicken refused to work, error message about location settings (does not like UK).  Changed location to USA.  Quicken started to work.  Followed prompts and created account with zero starting balance.  Tried to import QIF from MS Money.  Quicken refused to accept this, telling me there was no account that it could import into!  
    If I started an account on Quicken, why does it refuse to import QIF? 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you install MS Money sunset version too? That is the data format that is supposedly needed for Quicken to read the MS Money data.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• mchuta
    mchuta Member
    I am currently using MS Money v14.0.120.1105 (2004).  
    Does that produce compatible QIF export, or was there a later version?  

Incidentally, I have tried MS Money sunset on my new PC with Win10-2019, but it does not work.  The published patches to RegEdit that claim to make use possible, do not match the options on this version of Windows.  
  • mchuta
    mchuta Member
    Thanks for the advice about other method of file conversion. You seem to be telling me that Quicken can import and convert a *.mny file from MS Money sunset.  
    Is that correct? 

Before proceeding, I need clarification about location settings.
    In the old Win7 PC, Quicken told me it could not run while location set to UK.  
    Will Quicken run on the new Win10-2019 machine set to location UK?  
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mchuta said:
    Thanks for the advice about other method of file conversion. You seem to be telling me that Quicken can import and convert a *.mny file from MS Money sunset.  
    Is that correct? 

Before proceeding, I need clarification about location settings.
    In the old Win7 PC, Quicken told me it could not run while location set to UK.  
    Will Quicken run on the new Win10-2019 machine set to location UK?  
    Yes, any version of Quicken can directly convert a MS Money Sunset file, given the conditions outlined earlier.
    As to "location UK" ... I assume you are talking about the Windows Region setting for UK ... I do not know if Q 2019, being a product primarily geared for the US and Canadian markets, will run with Region UK set or not.
    I hope someone else will be able to tell you.
  • mchuta
    mchuta Member
    edited May 2019
    Small print about Quicken 2019, cannot operate in Windows 10 with location settings anywhere else except USA or Canada.  That is not acceptable as it would cause malfunction of other applications that are region specific.  

I have found and installed [removed], a no-nonsense product.  Easy transfer of data from MS Money, without intermediate steps.  

Thanks to all who gave advice.  
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll try to get the attention of @Dan Glynhampton , one of the SuperUsers here.
    He runs QW2019 in the UK ... but I don't recall which Win version he's running.
    I'd suggest that you hold off on abandoning QW2019 until he chimes in about how he's doing so.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.