Quicken on 4th home computer

I am in the process of upgrading one of our home PCs and have downloaded Quicken 2017 onto the new device.  But it will not let me use it.  I assume it is because I have already installed it onto the other three PCs.  Is there a way to uninstall from the PC to be "scrapped" and get Quicken to run on the new one?  

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What EXACTLY is happening when you try to use on that 4th PC? 
    Any error messages?
    And, was Q installed on the "pre-upgraded" version of this PC?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The three count limit of installs of Quicken 2017 and prior is COMPLETELY on the honor system.  To be above board, just uninstall it from the old computer.
    More information is needed before anyone can help you with your "But it will not let me use it." issue.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• JustKeepOnTruckin
    JustKeepOnTruckin Member ✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    What EXACTLY is happening when you try to use on that 4th PC? 
    Any error messages?
    And, was Q installed on the "pre-upgraded" version of this PC?
    The program comes up and opens the file I have copied in to the PC.  But when I try to update values or download transactions, a Quicken page comes up and asks me to enter my user-name and password.  When I put these in, I am asked to open an account or to make sure I am using a valid username and password.  I note that my username and password are valid, and that when I put in an incorrect password, I am immediately notified that the password and username do not match.

I note that this PC is one taken from a recently-closed family bushiness.  It is fairly up-to-date, with and I-7 Intel processor.  But it had no working hard-drive, as I believe it was networked with other PCs.  (There was a hard-drive in it, but it was inoperative.) 

I put in a new hard-drive, and, as I was trying to keep expenses down until I was sure it would work, I purchased and installed a Windows 7 DVD and license.  The Windows 7 operating system has been fully updated with 185 or so updates, and the PC works fine otherwise, so far.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Download and install the patch update for Q2017 found at this link to see if it solves the issue:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

• JustKeepOnTruckin
    splasher said:
    Download and install the patch update for Q2017 found at this link to see if it solves the issue:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch
    I just tried to run the patch and got the following:

"Quicken is not installed on this machine." 

Which, it most assuredly seems to be . . .  Please see my response, above, with some details on the PC I am attempting to get up and running.  Thanks.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure Quicken 2017 is installed? That error message indicates there's a version mismatch between Quicken and the patch. Are you trying to install the US or Canadian version? Where did the Quicken installation media come from? CD or download?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does Help->About Quicken show when you run Quicken?

• JustKeepOnTruckin
    OK Folks--Thanks for all the assistance, but it finally dawned on me. 

When I downloaded Quicken from the website, I hadn't logged in to my Quicken account.   So I was trying to run a non-activated version.  When I uninstalled it, logged in to Quicken, went to the area that listed my purchased program, and downloaded it from there--all went swimmingly.  Problem solved. 

Thanks again, and sorry for the false alarm.
This discussion has been closed.