CUSIP Id and my Fidelity NetBenefits Account

I need a way to add a CUSIP ID to Securities in my 401k. New securities that I have never owned before are added without a CUSIP ID. Looking at the logs it seems fidelity reports my account holdings and transaction with the CUSIP. No symbols are used. I have read every question/answer in the community and tried deleting transactions. Deleted securities. edited securities, etc etc. The "matched with online security' box is grayed out. The holdings with a CUSIP work just fine. Seems I have only had this problem since around May 1.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    When Quicken imports data for a security with a CUSIP number that is not already matched to a security in Quicken, we are prompted to match the imported security to an existing security in Quicken that is not already matched or to create a new security.  Once the security is matched, the CUSIP number is assigned to the security in Quicken.  If we have matched the security incorrectly, we need to uncheck the Matched with online security to clear the CUSIP number so that it may be reassigned.
  • ShredderBuilder
    ShredderBuilder Member ✭✭
    I understand that. Still does not work. I have checked for incorrect symbol and CUSIP, nothing. And gets worse with every trade.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I understand that. Still does not work. I have checked for incorrect symbol and CUSIP, nothing. And gets worse with every trade.
    This has nothing to do with the ticker symbol.  I suggest you examine the OFX Log, determine the CUSIP number that has been assigned inappropriately and uncheck the Matched with online security for that security.  Quicken should prompt when it processes the CUSIP number again.
  • ShredderBuilder
    All I can say is it is not working the way you describe it should. OFX log from Fidelity is correct. Quicken does not have the CUSIP so it does not work.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Have you run the Copy & validation routines for damaged dat files?  

Exactly what issue are you seeing as a result of the lack of a CUSIP? 

Have you looked at Tools>Online Center, Holdings tab to verify Quicken and Fidelity agree on your holdings?

Are the "greyed out" "Matched with" boxes checked or unchecked?
  • _garth4
    _garth4 Member ✭✭
    > @ShredderBuilder said:
    > I need a way to add a CUSIP ID to Securities in my 401k. New securities that I have never owned before are added without a CUSIP ID. Looking at the logs it seems fidelity reports my account holdings and transaction with the CUSIP. No symbols are used. I have read every question/answer in the community and tried deleting transactions. Deleted securities. edited securities, etc etc. The "matched with online security' box is grayed out. The holdings with a CUSIP work just fine. Seems I have only had this problem since around May 1.
  • _garth4
    _garth4 Member ✭✭
    I have the same CUSIP issue with my Fidelity NetBenefits 401K fund. The problem occured in the past few weeks. The solutions mentioned has not been helpful.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are your Fidelity 401k 'funds' truly retail funds available on the open market?  OR are they modeled after the retail funds but valued at NAVs different than the retail funds?

For example, at one time I had a 401k through employer with Fidelity as manager that offered their 'Magellan fund'.  But the prices on their quarterly reports to me were not the prices for the regularly traded Magellan fund  In those cases, the 401k manager (Fidelity) usually refers to UNITS of the investment security, not SHARES of the fund.

If that is your case, you should NOT have a ticker on the 401k security, or it should be a 'fake' ticker (like FMAGX-401k).  It should also be a separate security from the retail world fund (FMAGX), if you would happen to own or follow the retail version of the fund.

I would not expect the CUSIP of the 401k 'Units' (if even available) to match the CUSIP of retail fund shares.  

I hope that information is more helpful than confusing.   
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note that if the security is not publicly traded you will not be able to download quotes for it but you may still be able to download transactions and track it in Quicken. The CUSIP number (not the name or ticker) is used to match downloaded transactions to the security in Quicken.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    All I can say is it is not working the way you describe it should. OFX log from Fidelity is correct. Quicken does not have the CUSIP so it does not work.
    The point is Quicken obtains the CUSIP number used by the financial institution to uniquely identify a security from the OFX data provided by the financial institution in the OFX Log.  We do not assign a CUSIP number and Quicken does not pull it from a another source.  If Quicken does not prompt for a security to assign, that should mean the CUSIP number is already matched to a security in Quicken.

If the issue is reproducible in a test data file, the installation may be corrupt and I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken. To update Quicken, I recommend you download and apply the Mondo Patch: https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows

If the issue is not reproducible in a test data file, the real data file may be corrupt and you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • ShredderBuilder
    The securities with the problem are normal NYSE ETF's. See image below from the screenshot from the quicken comparison. Also so the screen shots form the securities list.

Quicken will not track transactions involving these securities. I have tried to delete and re-add the transactions and securities.

Validated the data file Friday night.

The "matched with" box is grayed out and unchecked.

And finally uninstalled and cleaned per the instructions. Reinstalled today. no difference.

I hope I answered all the questions.

Thanks for your help
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these ETFs part of the standard offerings in your 401(k) or do you access them through the brokerage window?

With other financial institutions, I have had trouble getting brokerage window securities to work properly with Quicken.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The securities with the problem are normal NYSE ETF's. See image below from the screenshot from the quicken comparison. Also so the screen shots form the securities list.

Quicken will not track transactions involving these securities. I have tried to delete and re-add the transactions and securities.

Validated the data file Friday night.

The "matched with" box is grayed out and unchecked.

And finally uninstalled and cleaned per the instructions. Reinstalled today. no difference.

I hope I answered all the questions.

Thanks for your help

I suspect the CUSIP numbers may be missing in the OFX Log for the ProShares Ultra Russell2000 and Real Estate Select Sector SPDR Fund holdings (or you have associated their CUSIP numbers with a security named Unidentified Security).
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    @Sherlock points to the most likely scenario- "I suspect the CUSIP numbers may be missing in the OFX Log for the ProShares Ultra Russell2000 and Real Estate Select Sector SPDR Fund holdings (or you have associated their CUSIP numbers with a security named Unidentified Security)."

The CUSIP numbers in the OFX may also be malformed in some way. 

If you look at the Holdings shown in Tools>Online Center, that list derives from the downloaded OFX from Fidelity. I suspect you will not see those 2 problem securities listed under Holdings. The Compare to Portfolio screenshot you posted confirms that the OFX from Fidelity does not contain those holdings, at least in the form required under the OFX spec for Quicken to use and display.
  • ShredderBuilder
    All holdings present and accounted for. 81369Y860 is XLRE and 74347R842 is UWM.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ShredderBuilder:  OT -- It would generally be preferable for you to attach images as images rather than as files.  Many users are exceedingly cautious about downloading files.  Attached images show directly in your post and can be enlarged within the browser.   Note the two side-by-side action icons on the message toolbar - the first is for files; the second is for images. 

Thanks for the consideration. 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    All holdings present and accounted for. 81369Y860 is XLRE and 74347R842 is UWM.
    Interesting...  For my NetBenefits 401K account, the HELDINACCT is OTHER not CASH.  Perhaps that's why you have CURRENCY for each INVPOS.   Do these CUSIP numbers match up to appropriate securities in the SECLIST?
  • ShredderBuilder
    Ok new development today after selling one of my problem securities yesterday. First, I manually entered the sale because of issue and I knew Quicken would not match it correctly. Then, I update and get this;

Should I delete or accept the transaction? I click finish later and wait for some advice( and go to work). Now when i reconcile shares I get this:

Any advice?
    Thanks for your help
    and sorry about the attached file but Chrome does not want to insert the images into the message.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ShredderBuilder
    " sorry about the attached file but Chrome does not want to insert the images into the message."

Thanks for trying.  Not sure what is going on with your Chrome.  My Chrome inserts the JPG which is normally what I attach.  
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please read @Quicken Kathryn post in this conversation.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ok new development today after selling one of my problem securities yesterday. First, I manually entered the sale because of issue and I knew Quicken would not match it correctly. Then, I update and get this;

Should I delete or accept the transaction? I click finish later and wait for some advice( and go to work). Now when i reconcile shares I get this:

Any advice?
    Thanks for your help
    and sorry about the attached file but Chrome does not want to insert the images into the message.
    I would accept the rename.  If Quicken introduces a reminder transaction of the event, you may delete the transaction.
  • ShredderBuilder
    I give up on this. I will manually enter transactions and like with the un- identified securities error. Disappointed that some from Quicken has not said anything.
    Thanks for all the help everybody.
This discussion has been closed.