Need the ability to import QIF transactions

Scott Rose
Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
We have been using Quicken 2007 for 12 years to import new transactions from a QIF file into our Quicken database.

But now, in the new Quicken 2019 (which we were forced to upgrade to), you guys have completely removed the ability to import QIF transactions. (Yes, I understand that you guys removed this feature prior to 2019.)

This QIF importing feature is of critical importance to us, since we have a workflow that uses our iPhone to create transactions with the excellent PocketMoney app. Then, the PocketMoney app writes our transactions to a QIF file. This QIF file is then imported into Quicken 2007.

But now, since you guys removed the import QIF feature from your product, we are no longer able to import new transactions from the app that we use.

So, Quicken 2019 is a non-starter for us unless we can get the Import QIF feature back.
Tagged:

Comments

• Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    Is there any way to import a QIF into an existing Quicken Mac 2019 file? (I don't want to create a brand new Quicken 2019 file, but import transactions into a pre-existing file.)

I have a workflow that imports transactions from a QIF file into my Quicken 2007 file, but I don't see any way to do the same thing with my Quicken 2019 file.

Thanks for any help! :)
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    No, there is no capability for importing QIF files in Quicken Mac. There are some converters that will convert QIF to QFX which might get you where you want to go. (I've never done this so I can't make specific recommendations; you'll need to do some Googling and reading.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a work-around.... you could import QIF into a QM2007 data file as a bridge then import QM2007 data file into QMac subscription. QMac will probably load the data into a new account register but you can simply highlight all the transactions and drag them to their destination.

Of course, this work-around will only work as long as you can run QM2007 and QMac can continue to import QM2007. 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    > @jacobs said:
    > No, there is no capability for importing QIF files in Quicken Mac. There are some converters that will convert QIF to QFX which might get you where you want to go. (I've never done this so I can't make specific recommendations; you'll need to do some Googling and reading.)

Thanks, @jacobs. My app exports files in QFX format too, but Quicken 2019 won't import the QFX file, either. It gives an error message that says: "Unable to read the selected Web Connect file. Please contact your financial institution."

So unfortunately, it looks like that path won't work either. :(
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    My understanding is that you would have to edit the QFX file to insert text to spoof the ID of a valid-to-Quicken financial institution. Do some searching here and you will find some posts about this.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    My understanding is that you would have to edit the QFX file to insert text to spoof the ID of a valid-to-Quicken financial institution. Do some searching here and you will find some posts about this.
    Specifically, research here and/or elsewhere the replacement of the INTU.BID number.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    Thanks so much for this information!
This discussion has been closed.