links in report are dead

Options
gotbits
gotbits Member ✭✭
Am I crazy? I just made a custom report. I tried to click one of the transaction line items to edit it, but nothing happens when I click. Are some types of reports dead like this, or is this a bug?

Best Answers

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    What version of Quicken Mac are you using and which report are you working with?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    It depends what report you're trying to use. The ones you see on the menu below "New Report" are old-style reports which came from the predecessor to the current Quicken Mac, and they don't have the flexibility of the "New Report" reports that utilize the improved reports engine Quicken has been building for the past couple years. 

What report are you trying to use?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • gotbits
    gotbits Member ✭✭
    Options
    Sorry, I'm using Quicken 4.8.5 with Mac OS 10.12.6

It's specifically New Reports that isn't working. The old canned reports at the bottom of the menu work fine, and the custom reports I've made in the past at the top of the menu work fine.

I took one of my old custom reports and modified it to make the report I want, and it works correctly. Looks like a bug to me.
  • gotbits
    gotbits Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks very much for the information. Now I understand.

Is there a non-subscription version of Quicken 2018 for Mac? I don't want the subscription model until Quicken adds the features and works out the bugs that would make it worth the money they're asking for.
  • gotbits
    gotbits Member ✭✭
    Options
    You might be right. Reporting output is one of the things 2017 is really weak in. Lacking drill down now only makes it worse. I would probably want the Deluxe version. So that would be about $45/yr, unless you know of any deals.

2019 Reviews on Amazon are pretty brutal, but I take those with a teaspoon of salt. Do you feel the company is now being proactive at adding long-requested features and squishing bugs? Before Quicken was bought, I'm sure you remember that the Mac version was for years the starving orphan who got a scrap of bread every other week. More of that treatment is what I would object to having to pay for annually.
  • gotbits
    gotbits Member ✭✭
    Options
    @ jacobs, thanks so much for giving me a detailed reply! Very helpful. I'll keep a savvy eye out for the next Quicken deal.

It's actually encouraging that they admit the product isn't where they want it to be. That's much better than *crickets*. I've used Quicken since the 90s and would hate to give it up. If the new version has fixed manual Reconcile, that would be enough for me to upgrade. For 20 years I could reconcile my accounts manually to the penny in Quicken. Something changed, and now even doing manual reconciles, I often have to add mysterious adjustments that are not due to my own error.

@ smayer97, thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    gotbits said:
    It's actually encouraging that they admit the product isn't where they want it to be. 
    Now, mind you, this isn't on the company website in big, bold type. They're still trying to sell to as many people as possible, of course, and for many people the current product is good enough. But when we occasionally hear from Marcus, the Quicken Mac product manager, he's a straight shooter and has been upfront about some of the shortcomings or feature needs they are or will be working on. Infrequent though they are, I've found it refreshing and helpful -- and I think his commentary from back before the modern Quicken Mac even existed and they were just working on it is what kept me in the Quicken fold.

In terms of account reconciliation, I can say with pretty strong certainty that the problems you're having have to deal with data in your file and not bugs in the program. There are generally two things that have tripped people up. First, they changed the way reconcile works. In the past, it simply started with your previous month's ending balance and moved forward from there. The problem was that sometimes that ending balance people got to in Quicken wasn't correct, and so people were making adjustments or tweaks to make things work. So what they did was make reconcile follow simple math: it adds up all the transactions in your account since the beginning of time, and that is -- has to be -- your correct balance for reconciliation. Well, that change tripped up a lot of people because there were errors in their accounts from years ago. Perhaps a transaction inadvertently got deleted, or got marked as unreconciled. So the new reconcile approach means that some people needed to either go back to hunt down old problems and fix them, or to make an adjusting entry to fix the discrepancy and move on. Such an adjustment should be a one-time event. but if your balance keeps changing in odd ways, it's possible you have a placeholder transaction in your account -- usually at the beginning of time -- which constantly readjusts its amount to match what your bank is reporting for your balance. Eliminating a variable placeholder with a new, static opening balance often cures that problem once and for all.

Are you having problems reconciling your checking account, or credit card and other accounts, too? If what I've written above doesn't help you identify the problem, then I'd suggest you start a new thread here about what problems you're having with reconciling, and some folks on this site should be able to help you dig into it further and get it resolved.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • gotbits
    gotbits Member ✭✭
    Options
    Quicken using the opening balance is the culprit, so thanks for telling me how it's thinking.

I'll post to another thread about the reconcile problem. It's a head scratcher.
This discussion has been closed.