Allow editing Memo field with new Edit Single Instance feature

jay
jay Member ✭✭✭
I really like the idea of v5.12.2's new Edit Single Instance feature on a scheduled transaction. However, the only fields you can edit are the date and the amount. Please also allow editing of the Memo/Notes field.

Most of my scheduled transactions whose amounts vary are for utilities, and I like to enter a quantity in the Memo/Notes field. For example, for my electric bill, I enter the average kWh/day for that month, and for my gas bill, I enter the therms per day. So, unless I can edit the Memo/Notes field, this new feature doesn't help.
13 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

QMAC-23427

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @jay I use the memo field extensively, too. I agree with your idea above -- why shouldn't it let you edit the Memo field as well?

That said, for what you're describing, can't you simply mark the next scheduled transaction paid, and then edit the Memo field? Even if you get the bill a few weeks before the scheduled transaction will be paid, you can mark it paid, then edit the Memo. The transaction date is still in the future, so marking it "paid" is just Quicken terminology, not a reflection that the money has yet come out of your account, as the current/future divier line in your register shows.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jay
    jay Member ✭✭✭
    @jacobs, Yes that's exactly what I have done for years (mark as paid and then edit). I just thought this new feature might be an improvement on that process, but not unless I can edit the memo field.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    Jacobs, thanks for bringing this forum post to my attention. The unsatisfactory answer to why we don't allow you to edit the memo field is because Quicken Windows doesn't support it and the Quicken Cloud's feature set for scheduled transactions is defined by Quicken Windows.  We aren't syncing scheduled transactions in 5.12 but the feature is defined by the Quicken Cloud feature set.  I can see there is some value in being able to edit more than the date and amount and I personally think we should allow one to edit future instances in addition to the next instance but we don't allow that today. In beta, we noticed there were a number of people who confused editing the next instance with marking the scheduled transaction as paid. If you want to edit those fields you can still mark the transaction as paid and edit them.  Of course, the downside is they become real transactions and one may not want them to become real because it changes their workflow.  This doesn't mean we won't allow editing of memo and other fields in the future but it's not there today.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Marcus Thanks for the explanation but it then begs the question, why does QWin not support it too?

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)