What older version of Quicken I can install that would allow me upgrade my Mac

I run Q Essentials Ver 1.7.4 (yes I know it is outdated) my Mac is running OS X El Capitan. I only use Q, for entering money in and out for three home rentals. I figure since QE is as far I can go in 10.11.6, I should buy a used Quicken program that I can move my info over and then be able to move up a few my versions of my operation system> What the community think???

Best Answers

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Ron So your goal is to be able too upgrade your Mac's operating system, right? That's your goal? And you can't do that with Essentials.

Any version of Quicken Mac will import your Quicken Essentials data. I think you really have two choices: buy a copy of Quicken 2017 or buy the current Quicken 2019. (I wouldn't even consider Quicken 2015 or 2016.) Since the prices I see on eBay for Quicken 2017 are similar to a one-year subscription of Quicken 2019 -- or higher -- I'm not sure why you wouldn't get the current product. I realize you don't use a lot of the functionality of Quicken, but since reports are a lot better since Quicken 2017, there might be some benefit to you with Quicken 2019. It's now sold on a subscription basis, but as long as you don't need any online services, you can let the subscription lapse and continue to use it manually a year from now.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Ron
    Ron Member ✭✭
    Thanks for input . I see there is three 2019 plans. If I paid for the Basic for a year and have no need to use online service: I have a couple of questions. I can keep on using for free after one years? Will still receive support after one year? Do they assist installing and moving over my rental income/outgoing costs. I am older than Trump and still learning my ABC in computers.
  • jacobs
    Quicken Starter cannot be used if your subscription lapses. (Well, you can open it in a read-only mode, but you can't enter new transactions.) You need to purchase Quicken Deluxe instead -- that version does allow you to continue adding transactions manually after your subscription has lapsed. The subscription includes all online services (downloading or importing transactions from financial institutions, security prices, etc.), program updates and bug fixes, and free support. If your subscription ends, you lose all of that -- no support, no updates, no online services.

Quicken doesn't provide migration support services per se, but if you need help with some functionality in Quicken Mac, their phone support agents are available 12 hours a day weekdays at no additional cost. And users on this site can often provide guidance on features or functionality new users may find confusing. 
  • Ron
    Ron Member ✭✭
    Reading you folk comments, not sure what to do. As stated prior, my current version of QE is 1.7.4, any one know that version the 2017 is? Also seeing a 2017 Quickens ad, it said "Quickens Easily manage your money". Leads us older folks to ask a questions. Is that wording on cover of 2017 the same type software as QE I have? Will I be able to move over my rental accounts with no problems?. Final question! Is there any solid reason to upgrade to 2017 since my current QE works with no problems? (Almost like someone upgrading on iPhones just to have a new model).
  • jacobs
    @Ron Well, now you're asking some different questions than you asked originally. ;)

Quicken 2017 is at version 4.8.5.

You can think of it as several generations of updates to your Quicken Essentials, since it was built from that code base and user interface.

Yes, Quicken 2017 will import your Quicken Essentials data file and update it to the current file format.

Should you update to Quicken 2017 or not? No one can definitively answer that for you. Of course I coudl tell you that it has hundreds, probably thousands, of added features and bug fixes to Quicken Essentials. But if your Quicken Essentials does all you need it to, then you might not care about any of those improvements.

The biggest argument for upgrading is compatibility. As you know, you can't upgrade your macOS and continue to use Essentials. As long as you're okay with sticking with El Capitan, which is no longer supported or patched by Apple, then what you have today wil continue to work. If you ever want to upgrade your macOS, or if your computer breaks and you need to get a new one, then you will be forced to upgrade your Quicken at that time. Currently, Quicken Mac software imports from Quicken Essentials, but at some point in the future, the developers may remove the code for importing from Essentials; there's no good way to predict when that will happen.

I'm not clear if there's a particular reason your questions are about Quicken 2017. That is not the current version of Quicken, and is no longer for sale by Quicken. You can find it on eBay or perhaps other places. The comments from all of us above were directed at the pros and cons of purchasing the current Quicken (2019) versus Quicken 2017.
  • Ron
    Ron Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your input.As mention I have QE for Mac 2010. My main reason for looking at upgrade is concerns on my operation system El Captain. I figure if I went to 2017, it will work down the road for Apple's upgrades and if I had to re-install software of Quickens. As to 2019, some of the post on this site is a concern about after one year and IF the ad problem comes about? Plus not having the disk if I went to another newer iMac after the year, I feel good luck on that. In regards to moving my current renting accounts, you said that will not be a problem to move into 2017. Looking on other sites, the 2017 uses the wording "Quicken Easily Manage Your Money 2017 For Mac ". I need to rely on your input . Is this wording/ software what I would need to upgrade to 2017 and still have the ease of adding and deleting items in my accounts for managing my rentals? I know the word Essentials os gone.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You will find any of the newer versions of Quicken for Mac to be an extension of Quicken Essentials. I am quite experienced/liked that older 1.7.4 program, and I think you will appreciate the subtle improvements they have made to the programs over the years. I don't see any pitfalls with your rentals if you are managing them in Essentials. 

I cannot in good conscious recommend people waste time or money investing in outmoded applications. Sure, you might score a deal on an old program such as 2017, but you are in the same bind of being behind the times. 

I would not fret not having a physical disk for software distribution. That fell out of favor years ago. It is quite easy to adjust.

• jacobs
    You seem to be focused on a phrase "Quicken Easily Manages Your Money". I'm not where you see that, but it's just marketing. The box on Quicken 2017 (as well as Quicken 2019) says "Manage your money and save" -- again, just the marketing message. Again, as John and I have said above, Quicken Mac 2015, 2016, 2017, and now 2018/2019 are all incremental improvements to the original Quicken Essentials.

I'm not sure if you feel you have any questions that haven't been answered; if so, please ask them again. Both John and I have recommended you move forward from your old Quicken Essentials. If you prefer Quicken 2017 to avoid the subscription ad, it will work for you. We both recommend upgrading all the way to the current version, rather than spending money on a version that's several years old; support for Quicken 2017 will be discontinued in April 2020. 

• Ron
    Ron Member ✭✭
    Hey, Took your advise and just got back from Best Buy with Q2019 Deluxe. I nervous about installing (remember I told you that I am in my late 70's) My current rental in a three "Accounts " that QE 2015 call them So when I install new software in my Mac, somewhere along the way it will give me the chance to move them over. In the 2019, I figure there is a "accounts" tab where they will go, right? Of course I'll back up what is in 2015 onto an ext drive. So any help pointers at this point will be greatly received. For sure! I'll hold off until I hear from your guys.
  • Ron
    Ron Member ✭✭
    First I want to thanks Jacobs and John on working and steering me the right "path". Had no problems in installing the 2019 and it automatic move my accounts over from QE 2015. Maybe I can ask a question from one of you. I had mention that I had my rentals set up in an "Account" that I had for example Rental unit #3, had receiving rent and a different on for Spending. I also had set up in the are "Account" my different bank type accounts like: CD's, IRA's AND OTHERS. NOW IN NEW 2019. Some of the Bank accounts are loans to a few of my grandkids. When one comes over to pay, I would go into QE and under Accounts I would bring up there name and enter amount they payed. The banks, etc didn't show any numbers. Now in the new system, at the top it said, Banking $$$$ and shows a number adding up all accounts. Also on the bottom is said Net worth $$$$$. I desire not to show those numbers to them. Playing with the 2019 Q, I believe those banking number should be able to set in a better place. I don't or don't plan on tie into banks nor anythings else the program has to offer. Can you provide some expertise how and where to sit up.
    Thanks
  • jacobs
    You can hide the left sidebar or change what it displays. Click the "...." at the top blue bar above the sidebar and play around with the settings. You can turn off Net Worth, Main group totals, sub-group totals, and/or account totals. Another way to just temporarily hide the sidebar is to click the "<" at the top of the sidebar to collapse it; in the collapsed view, click on the "$" to see the list of accounts (without balances) so you can move between accounts.
This discussion has been closed.