Where do my backup data files reside? (Q Mac)

QuickPeter
QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
Following on from advice given to me in the last few days by jacobs and RickO about “Changing the "Type" of a Security”,I’m trying to figure out where my backup data files reside.

I’ve found some information on the following link:

Quicken Mac FAQ: Default location of Data File created/stored for Quicken 2015/2016+ for Mac:https://qlc.intuit.com/replies/2453982

When I click it I get the warning message in the attachment.

I don’t really want to proceed when I see warnings like that, do you agree?

QuickPeter
Quicken for Mac 2017 Version 4.8.5 (Build 48.20176.100)

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    In Quicken, click the File menu, then "Show Backups in Finder".

The default location is  /Users/(username)/Library/Application Support/Quicken/Backups. But the above menu command is the easiest way to get to the folder, even if you've changed the default.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @QuickPeter I'm not where you found the link you posted, but it is a very old link to the community forum two generations ago. When I Google the topic title, Google correctly provides the link on this current forum for that article:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7227506/quicken-mac-faq-default-location-of-data-file-created-stored-for-quicken-2015-2016-for-mac

But for what you're looking for, it's summarized in what @RickO wrote above in two sentences.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    RickO, got it thanks!
    That sure is a long path to the default location isn't it?
    The Menu command is easy - once someone tells you! Thanks.

When I've located my latest backup in Finder, how do I then use it in Quicken?

I'm going to try to merge security accounts mentioned in an earlier post. jacobs quite rightly advised me to make a backup before I tried to do that.

QuickPeter
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    jacobs, many thanks for investigating that for me.

You're right, RickO has given me exactly what I'm looking for. Great.

QuickPeter
  • RickO
    You can either double-click the backup file after you've found it in the Finder. Or even easier, you can use Quicken menu File > Restore from Backup.

Once you do either one, you will be asked if you are sure you want to restore this file. Click "Restore this file...". At that point, a standard Mac file naming dialog will open. It will be pre-filled with the name of your quicken file followed by "2", e.g. "Peter's Finances 2". You can either let it save with the new filename which you would use going forward. Or you can edit the name and remove the "2", in which case you will be asked if you want to replace the existing file. That choice is up to you.
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    RickO, many thanks for that advice on restoring a backup file. I'll work carefully through it soon.
    In the meantime, I've noticed that the default location only seems to give me the automatic backups? Please see screen-shot (I'm not sure this worked for me? Where abouts do I drag and drop the screen-shot?)

Where are the backups I manually make from time-to-time held i.e. Menu/File/Save a backup ?

QuickPeter
  • RickO
    Your screenshot did not make it. You can drag the screenshot right into the text box into which you are typing your reply. Or you can click the image insertion icon on the toolbar in the reply box (looks like a little photo), then click Choose Files to choose the file with a dialog.

When you save a backup manually, a file dialog opens to ask you where you want to save it. So it would depend on where you chose. If you click menu File > Save a Backup again, the file dialog should show you the last place you saved.
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    RickO, thanks for your patience!
    I'll try the drag and drop right now.

That's better - got it. Thanks again.

QuickPeter
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    RickO, yes when I save manually I save "Save As: "PS Finances 2019--9-10",
    "Where" "Backups"

But how do I navigate in Finder to those "Backups" ? :-(

QuickPeter
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    RickO, forgive me! You told me the answer to that on 5 September:

"The default location is /Users/(username)/Library/Application Support/Quicken/Backups "

Oh boy!

QuickPeter
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    I just wanted jacobs to know how useful and illuminating that link he gave us on 5 September.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7227506/quicken-mac-faq-default-location-of-data-file-created-stored-for-quicken-2015-2016-for-mac

I'm steadily working my way through the link trying to educate myself. So far, so good!

I tried to leave a 'like' for smayer97 but of course the discussion was marked "This discussion has been closed." No matter, I hope smayer97 sees this anyway.

Do we really believe he's still using QM2007? :-)

QuickPeter
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Glad to be of help! 👍

And yes, smayer97 still uses Quicken 2007 -- exclusively! He's still holding on hopefully for more features from Quicken 2007 to make their way into modern Quicken Mac.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks jacobs for that confirmation about smayer97 and Quicken 2007
    I feel quite smug now that I'm using Quicken 2017! :-)
This discussion has been closed.