Add true multi-currency conversion support in Quicken for Mac (317 Legacy/Merged Votes)

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from prioritization and available resources, what makes this difficult is that it touches on many parts of the database and functionality... transaction entry, exchange rate logging and downloading, reports, investments, conversion from other versions, etc... so no small feat. This is an involved feature, especially under the hood.

That said, a rudimentary capability has been implemented... the ability to track each register in a specific currency and to perform transfers between them and record the exchange rate, but only for that transaction, and the two sides of the transfer are not linked (so changes on one side are not updated on the other side). BUT that's it for now.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• beanaj
    beanaj Member
    As a US citizen recently moved to Europe I have discovered that Quicken 2019 for Mac doesn't do enough to continue to be useful for the most used features without multi-currency support.
    Without multi-currency I can't get decent results on my budget, my comparison reports year over year, net worth, etc. The top post asked for several things, including:
    •ability to apply exchange rates for transfers between accounts in different currencies
    •ability to apply exchange rates on reports using accounts in different currencies

Without them it really reduces functionality. Please review this feature again.
  • lwebs
    lwebs Member ✭✭
    Also big deal for us Canadian snowbirds who spend our winters in the south.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have not already, be sure to click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count at the top of page 1 in the blue banner, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version (it may take a moment for your vote to register).

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• as.1962
    as.1962 Member ✭✭
    Is this in the product roadmap soon? Very awkward to monitor net worth and investment portfolio progress without it.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2019
    Full multi-currency support in Quicken Mac is one of the leading feature requests from users. You can cast your vote for this functionality in a longstanding Idea thread [removed self-referencing link]. [This] thread currently has 329 votes ("legacy" votes from the previous forum system plus 18 here); encouragingly, it is marked as "Under Consideration", a status which a limited number of Ideas receive, so there's at least awareness by the development team of the pent up demand for this functionality and reason to hope it may be forthcoming. When? Only the development leadership knows that, and they almost never comment on future plans because the roadmap changes and evolves and they don't want to say something is coming in a certain timeframe and then not deliver.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • dbp70
    dbp70 Member ✭✭
    As someone with investments/assets in multiple currencies, it would be fantastic to see Networth Over Time report not only by currency, but a consolidated TOTAL net worth over all currencies.
  • TitoG
    TitoG Member ✭✭
    I just migrated from Windows to Mac.
    I miss the Investing, Portfolio View, that combines all accounts in all currencies.
    in the Mac I need a separate view for each currency...
    So... please add this feature.....
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited November 2019
    Hello TitoG,

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of the Community!

I went ahead and merged your post with an ongoing Idea for this same feature request. Our developer's review Idea threads to get an idea of what people would like Quicken to offer.

Be sure to add your vote by clicking on the gray triangle right above the current vote count, located in the blue box at the beginning of this thread:

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• AF28
    AF28 Member ✭✭
    This feature is one of the most requested... Full multicurrency integration in every OS and every plataform . Please Quicken, keep an eye on it.. This upgrade would prabably open market for you, bringing a lot of costumers all around the world that think that feature is extremelly necessary.
  • scott10
    scott10 Member
    If I had realized Q MAC did not offer true multi-currency support, I never would have converted from Q WIN.
    Nothing works properly without true multi-currency functionality - income, expenses, budgets, net worth, etc. I am seriously considering re-entering a full year of data (2019) into my old version of Q WIN in order to be able to work effectively in the 4 currencies my wife and I deal in - CAD, US$, GBP, and XCB. If it can be done in Q WIN, why the long delay in introducing for Q MAC??
  • jacobs
    scott said:
    If it can be done in Q WIN, why the long delay in introducing for Q MAC??
    I'm not offering any excuses, just some context… Quicken Windows has about 30 years of development behind it; Quicken Mac about 6 or 7. As for why this feature hasn't been developed yet for Quicken Mac: the developers have hundreds of feature requests, and they are making steady -- but slow -- progress. They obviously have prioritized other features higher than this, because things like reports and budgets and loans are used by a greater percentage of users than multicurrency functionality. They did a partial implementation of multicurrency support a few years ago, but have not yet come back around to making it more complete and robust. Hopefully, the more comments and votes this topic continues to get will drive it up the priority list.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Just FYI, this IDEA is about the 3rd top requested feature. That said, that alone is not sufficient to set priorities. Because this particular feature impacts many areas (reports, budgets, investments, etc), it may require a lot of design changes and resources to implement. And like @jacobs said, more people want to use other features that are also very high in demand, so those ideas may be taking precedence over this, at this time. At least we have an avenue to keep recording our requests and having visibility to them.

• meroni1
    meroni1 Member ✭✭✭
    There should be a way to see your investment total for all currencies based on the day's exchange rate. Currently you can only report by currency. The blended total Net Worth does appear on the bottom lower left of the application window, however there is no report or Investment summary that supports multi currency with totals.
  • Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I have previously cast my vote for this. Today I downloaded and took a test drive of macOS Quicken, and while it's really improved, which is great, it's of no use to me without multiple currency support. (I have multiple USD and CAD accounts.)

I guess I'll be running VMWare Fusion on macOS indefinitely - which is perhaps the problem. Quicken has my subscription revenue whether or not I run it on virtual Windows 10 or native macOS.
  • osvaldo
    osvaldo Member ✭✭
    I am still waiting for a real linked multi currency in the quicken mac version,I am working with an old quicken windows and the new quicken for mac but I miss the multi currency of the windows version,I live in Chile and we use the local currency and us dollars, so its important to have a real multi currency
  • rgengenbach
    rgengenbach Member
    I switched from Quicken on my PC to my MacBook Air recently, assuming multi-currency support would be included. Quicken support, is there any realistic timeframe for this being available?
  • jacobs
    @rgengenbach  Quicken almost never comments on future features -- if, and especially when, they will arrive.

All you can do is add your vote on the first page of this topic (scroll down under the first post to the blue box, and click the arrow under the counter). This idea is marked as "Under Consideration", which is somewhat hopeful; however, that was a year ago, and it hasn't changed to "Planned" or "Not Planned" in that time. Sigh.
  • Mikster
    Mikster Member
    I am new to Q Mac. is there no multi-currency capability at all? People work globally and multiple foreign currency transactions are common. it is an essential function.
  • TC2000
    TC2000 Member ✭✭
    Please support multiple foreign currency
  • J-C Bailly
    J-C Bailly Member ✭✭
    The ONLY Reason why I have a Windows partition on my MacBook Pro is… Quicken for Windows. And the ONLY Reason why I use Quicken for Windows is … the lack of multicurrency support on the Mac version!

Your (Windows) app is excellent (been using it for over 20 years), your Mac version is slowly getting there, but having a most sophisticated Financial app to follow your international Investments only in one Currency is ridiculous nowadays. If you are serious about your Mac version, it HAS to have the multicurrency support otherwise you mean to say that most users only deal with US$ which is certainly not right.
  • robertito
    robertito Member ✭✭
    On Multi Currency reports....
    The sidebar, shows all accounts, in various currencies, in the Local currency, (or the home currency, if you so choose).
    But...tracking my investments that include a few currencies, the right panel will only show accounts in a single currency. if you want to view accounts in other currencies you have to change the menu entry to show "all EURO accounts", or "all ¥ accounts" etc. there is no option to see a combined "all accounts".
    and in the reports page on the top right you have to select the specific currency.... but not all currencies.
    all this unlike the Windows Version.......
  • meroni1
    meroni1 Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken needs to have a way to report on investments and net worth with multi currency reporting. Currently, Quicken reports are by currency. I have CDN and USD investments/bank accounts and there needs to be a way to see totals of everything (all currencies) reported or consolidated using daily exchange rates and reported in local (in my CDN) currency. Currently I can see my USD and CDN separately and have to download to a spreadsheet to consolidate.
  • robertito
    robertito Member ✭✭
    this issue is a major inconvenience compared to the simple solution found in the Windows version.
    It's time......
  • tonyfv
    tonyfv Member ✭✭
    Just discovered the same drawback after using Quicken for Mac for over 10 years, now that I have accounts in Euros. Reports and budgeting are now much harder to do. The app needs to have a currency conversion bolt-on.
  • isheer
    isheer Member ✭✭
    Quicken's support for multi-currency has a long way to go.

Most users in the thread would really like to be able to report net worth over time for all accounts converted to common currency. Being able to look only at one currency at a time is cumbersome. Why is it that that Net Worth in the side bar show foreign currencies converted to home currency but the same cannot be done in the Net Worth over time report?

Furthermore, holding securities that trade on non-USD exchanges is a pain. Quicken tries to map security name to a USD symbol then it downloads the wrong price time series. When you give it the correct non-USD symbol Quicken overrides the symbol with the wrong USD symbol. The only way I found to work around this is to obfuscate the security name so that Quicken does not recognize it and then manually update prices. This is obviously not optimal. Quicken ought to be smart enough to recognize a non-USD ticker symbol like 0700.HK (Tencent Holding trading on the Hong Kong exchange in HKD) and load prices in the appropriate currency.
  • enterfornone
    enterfornone Member ✭✭
    @isheer and others, on the comment above for the investing deficiencies, please vote the international stocks download in this thread:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7879978/support-for-international-stock-symbols#latest
    The decision to support only US-traded stocks is deliberate by Quicken and not mac-specific.
  • Kumar H
    Kumar H Member ✭✭
    edited April 2021
    When will multi-currency support be available for the Quicken for Mac?
  • GillesVa
    GillesVa Member
    The multi-currency feature has been requested by users since 2016. It would be, at least for respect to your customers, to provide them with this feature.
  • Vinícius Melo
    Vinícius Melo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Better forget about it. I tried other channels, like contacting the CEO. They even replied to me a couple of times, but not a single outcome from it. I tried to call the attention to this unbelievable situation. How they are losing customer because of the lack of a basic feature that they already have on the Windows version. I feel that we are begging to them to be their customer. While that, I am looking for other alternatives. I am working with [removed - no soliciting], but still it lacks a lot of features. I believe I will need to build my own app. Maybe it will be faster.