An update from our CEO, Eric Dunn

Comments

• jacksonhole2
    jacksonhole2 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Would be great to provide support for ROTH IRA/401K, these products have been available since 1997....

(QWIN)
  • warners5
    warners5 Member
    Is there some reason why Quicken, with all of its user-friendly feature, seems to make no provision for distinguishing "reimbursements" from "income"?
  • William Toperzer
    William Toperzer Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    20+ year user here too. Everything financial is tracked in my Quicken (Windows) as a great way to keep track of big picture. Wife now uses separate file to manage her 90 year old mother's finances since she moved to assisted living. Unfortunately, unable to convince grown children to continue using Quicken. I still agree it is the way to prevent financial disputes within married couples because all the facts are there (when properly populated).

I see another user who reported his bad experience with the mobile app and cloud trashing his PC data file. Worked with support for hours with the conclusion to abandon mobile app if the data file is large -- which mine is with lots of history that I consult periodically. Took me many tedious hours to reconstruct.

I agree that an active file of a few years data and a highly friendly archive would be beneficial for us long-time loyal users.

(QWIN)
  • ageec
    ageec Member ✭✭
    Appreciate the update from the CEO.
    I have used Quicken exclusively for over a decade.
    However, in the past few weeks, its utility has been severely diminished, because my bank implemented two factor authentication. As a result, I am unable to download my checking account, credit cards, or investments with that bank.
  • I appreciate your efforts, but I have to point out that bugs affecting fundamental functionality significantly detract from your product. I would respectfully request you concentrate on eliminating current bugs before trying to add new functionality. (I refer specifically to ticket number: T1IN - 7083032)
  • chitownhockey
    chitownhockey Member ✭✭✭✭
    Is there ANY reason that Quicken Mac can't accommodate including or excluding transfers in the budgets or certain reports? Wouldn't it be rather simple to just use a selection box to include cash flow accounts for budgeting purposes or reports, rather than the default ALL ACCOUNTS? Why is it that my budget is meaningless because of the "zeroing" out of both ends of that transfer?

And finally, why has this NEVER been implemented in the Quicken Mac product since Quicken Mac 2007?

I don't understand how this basic functionality could be overlooked and omitted from Quicken Mac. I also don't understand how this could be the number one requested feature by user votes in this community and yet Quicken development hasn't implemented this yet.
  • I converted to Quicken when Managing Your Money was acquired by Bank of America in 1998. For the most part, I have been satisfied with Quicken. However, there are a number of features which I would like to see added.

I am an active investor who owns a number of individual stocks and bonds, as well as mutual funds and exchange traded funds. For financial planning purposes, I would like Quicken to provide a cash flow projection report which shows the amount of anticipated interest and dividend income by month (or quarter) from my investments for at least the next three years. This report should also include expected cash receipts from maturing fixed income investments during the report time horizon.

This report would be helpful for cash planning purposes and for tax planning purposes.

Additionally, I would like to be able to archive a portion of my data file to speed up the program. After more than 20 years of use, my data file is huge. Ihave been reluctant to archive any of my transaction history because as a buy-and-hold investor, I own a number of stocks which were originally purchased in the 1990s. So the archiving process must retain critical investment history that is required for tax purposes.
  • FBoro
    FBoro Member ✭✭
    First off, I don't trust putting any information of mine out in 'cloud storage', after all, would I leave my television set out night after night on the front lawn even if I had it chained down to the tree out front, just hoping it wouldn't eventually get stolen? And yet, that is what Microsoft, Amazon, etc., are expecting us to do by saying "trust us, your data won't get hacked".
    What I would really like with Quicken is the ability to store the basic data file on an external hard drive or even a large capacity thumb drive and be able to load Quicken on each of our two laptops, thus making it a lot easier for either person in the household to do inputs and maintenance without one laptop being tied up. For instance, if the laptop Quicken is loaded on is being used for work-work, then any Quicken maintenance or input has to be delayed until that laptop is free again. If Quicken were loaded on both laptops and the data file was on an external hard drive, then either laptop could be utilized to do the routine Quicken work. I've been told that I could accomplish this by backing up the qdf file to the external drive, then importing that file to whichever laptop is going to be used, doing the maintenance tasks, then backing the file to the external drive for the next session - however I've also read that this is a procedure that can introduce errors into the backup file and cause a loss of data so I'm not about to follow that course of action.
    Secondly, I wish there were some way, or if there is an existing way just clear instructions on how to do this, of archiving off portions of the main user file. We've been relatively happy users of Quicken for about 15 years or so, but since each and every monetary transaction for those 15 years is in that one file, I'm getting nervous about whether (or worse, when) the data file might get corrupted just because there is so much data in there.
    Lastly, I do appreciate the revision to the investment transactions whereby stock symbols are used to specify a stock from the drop-down list. We've got over 500 different stocks and funds that we've had transaction involvement with and going through the list by typing the first couple characters (sometimes a lot more than just a few characters) can be tedious to say the least. Now, using stock symbols really helps speed that task up a lot, so thank you for that.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @FBoro, I don't know where you got your information but it's incorrect. The working copy of your Quicken data file should be on the local hard drive but there's no problem using either an external drive or cloud drive for backup. I switch between my desktop and laptop by using Dropbox. Whenever I exit Quicken, I have it set to make a backup in a Dropbox folder. When I want to switch computers, I just restore from the Dropbox folder and backup again when I exit.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • blackwjb
    blackwjb Member
    I need an annual budget not one that distributes across the months
  • Don58
    Don58 Member ✭✭
    On Quicken Mac reports, Net Worth Over Time, it would be useful if you can look at this information on an annual basis as well as monthly.
  • Mary OBrien
    Mary OBrien Member ✭✭✭
    Please create a dedicated position to keep in touch with the CC companies, banks and mutual funds companies. When they change their requirements for log ins, you change and update Quicken. When I hear that it is hard for my CC companies to communicate with Quicken, I think that you are paying too much attention to new features and now a new program and not enough to the existing program and features.
  • ARBarb
    ARBarb Member ✭✭
    A few usability nice-to-haves:
    * In "Find All" pop-up: "Select All" "Clear All"
    * Shortcut key to mark a txn. "Clear" (and "Reconciled"?)
    * Ability to select the "num" value in "Bill & Income Reminders" bills/deposits
    * In Search Results: be able to double-click on a column margin to auto-size it
    * In Bill Reminders: ability to duplicate-then-edit a reminder

A final note: I really don't like the subscription model. If I'm not happy with a newer version I can't go back; and if the timing isn't good for the expense, I have to cancel the renewal beforehand instead of just putting off the purchase.
  • bgolden
    bgolden Member ✭✭
    I use quicken to monitor my portfolios. On the Portfolio screen I can display each portfolio separately with separate subtotals. I would like to be able to go another level and segregate the types of holding within each portfolio along with subtotals (ei: Stocks, Bonds, Mutual funds, etc). In most of the online brokerage accounts, you are able to do this or it is done automatically. Maybe there is a way to do this already in quicken. But I have never figured it out.

Thanks!
  • jimtr
    jimtr Member ✭✭
    several of my banks are going to require 2FA which breaks the quicken update and forces me to manually download from each institution. What are you doing to keep the MFA requirement from breaking the one step update?
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    cahwyguy said:
    For all the updates and improvements, there is a long-standing problem that keeps getting overlooked: The calendar view continually starts to show the same scheduled transaction multiple times as you move forward in months. But these phantom entries than sometimes go away when you make a change in a scheduled transaction. There are also situations where scheduled transactions just disappear. The whole area of scheduled transactions -- which was working just fine in Quicken for the longest time, since the days of Quicken 4, could really use some love and attention.
    Hello @cahwyguy,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and reporting the issues experienced with scheduled transactions.  

These issues have been reported to Our Product Teams for further investigation and they are working to provide a solution as soon as possible.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

Thank you,

Sarah

• zippy114
    zippy114 Member
    I'm in line with Ken Oemcke's comment earlier - Have a home network and would like support to use a Quicken file on a file share (one person accessing at a time). Right now my wife and I share our file on a thumbdrive - a file share would be superior. I don't want our file on "the cloud" and do not use web features (security concerns). Thanks!
  • Quicken Sarah
    I am a forever Quicken user, I love everything about the program except one thing that drives me nuts: On systems with high-resolution screens the pop-up boxes do not position themselves properly and sometimes the "done" or "OK" box are not displayed so you cannot keep the changes you have made. How about fixing the way the program displays before any more changes to the program.
    Would it be possible to demonstrate some control over how Quicken is displayed? I have followed every suggestion I can find to adjust animation, full/part screen, etc. with no lasting success. Further, the linkage between pop-up windows and background processes has lost it's mind. Example - I have a managed investment account with a significant number of securities (~300) in it at any given time. Any sale that is less than the full position results in a popup stating I will need to provide additional input to accept the downloaded transaction. This is fine. What is not fine is the popup window, which comes up in the middle of the physical screen, not the middle of the window I have allocated to Quicken, disappearing and reappearing multiple times before I am able to click OK and start accepting. i7 with 16 GB memory, a SSD, and a nVidia GPU (drivers kept current). This is unlikely to be a hardware problem. A little patience on my part will help - I get it. My concern is what else is out of control if the windows and processing are not being kept coordinated.

Hello @alohacliff and @joe mrkvicka

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, although I’m sorry to hear of the display issues you have been experiencing. 

If you haven’t already, please see the information and steps available here and here.

https://www.quicken.com/support/menu-quicken-missing-not-working-appears-doubled-or-font-size-too-large-or-small 

https://www.quicken.com/support/work-around-display-issues-high-resolution-monitors 

If you continue to experience issues with the display, please contact our Quicken Support team for assistance with troubleshooting this behavior further. 

Thank you,

Sarah

• SEvans
    SEvans Member
    MAC v PC: Should be the same so that switching/working with both is not a problem. MAC should mirror PC.

MAC: Annoying that can't see entire line in register.

Subscription: Don't like this at all! Just want a standalone version. I have limited income and this is too much. I don't connect with any tax program, so it's not necessary for me.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Kathy said:
    I am still having issues with double transaction downloads. My Quicken balance in my accounts hasn't been right for years ever since I converted over to MAC from Windows. I am very unhappy with the MAC performance. Not only is there double downloads but it puts a posting date back to 2010 often. Some I have been able to correct because it matched to a transaction I had put in but others I can't correct since I am unable to edit the posting date. Now recently my doubles have had 2 different banking FITID numbers and I checked with my accounts through my bank details and there is not double amounts in my accounts. If I download the current accounts I am on my main checking and then go back and want to download a cc account it puts double all over in my checking and shows a box with many errors. I was a Quicken for Windows user since 1999 and loved it. But since my conversion to MAC it has not been a good situation. I won't be recommending Quicken to anyone. I hoped with paying for Quicken for 2 years and the recent updates that it would be better. I have tried to find a way to contact someone for help but no luck If you have any suggestions or help that you can give me to correct these issues please contact me at [email removed].

Hello @Kathy 

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, although I’m sorry to hear of the continued issues with duplicated transactions downloading.

The Quicken Support team is available by phone (Mon-Fri 5-5 pst) or by chat (24 hrs, 7 days) by clicking here and selecting the “Talk to Support” button. 

I hope this information is helpful and apologize again for the negative experience.

Thank you,

Sarah

• Quicken Sarah
    kris said:
    Thank you Eric for the update. Things are looking better for Quicken. I've been a user for 10 years now due to the discontinuation of Microsoft Money. I still miss it a lot. I'm sure other former MS Money users feel the same.

I like the sound of the new product Simplifi by Quicken. It would be cool to see a web-based application with the power of Quicken but better than Mint.

Kris Culin
    Quicken User
    Former MS Money User

Hello @kris

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and suggestions to improve Quicken.  We appreciate the kind words and great ideas!

If you haven’t already, I would encourage to check out the “Planning” tab with the Debt Reduction and Lifetime Planner tools that offer a “What If” conditions.

If these tools do not meet your needs for a what-if scenario, please create a new Idea in the Community detailing what new features/functionality would be beneficial for you. 

Idea posts are voted on by other members of the Community and submitted to the Product Teams for review and prioritization.  The more votes an Idea receives, the higher it is prioritized for possible implementation in the program.

For more information on Idea posts and how to create them, please see Creating and Voting for Ideas in the Community.

Thank you, 

Sarah

• Quicken Sarah
    In the investments window, I would like to see individual securities (stocks, bonds, mutual funds, ETFs, etc) in graphical format, to show performance over time, including notation when I've bought or sold the security. This feature existing in Quicken 2007 but has disappeared. Shouldn't require significant programming to develop this feature.

Hello @”Carlos Duarte”

Thank you for taking the time to share your suggestion with the Community. 

If you haven’t already, I encourage you to visit here, and add your vote for this feature.  The more votes an Idea receives, the higher it is prioritized for possible future implementation by our Product Teams.

Thank you again, 

Sarah

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken needs a true cloud version, not a desktop app with a web extension. I am not planning to upgrade Quicken until it has this capability.

Hello @jeremyvanek

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.  I encourage you to watch for more announcements and news on “Simplifi by Quicken” as I think this product may suit your needs for a web solution.

Thank you,

Sarah

• Quicken Sarah
    Why can't the program print the posted dates from the print of checking? It's on the screen, but when printing what's on the monitor, the posted date doesn't print

Hello @Eric Stout 

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and great suggestion.

If you haven’t already, I encourage you to create a new Idea in the Community fully explaining your Idea and how this new feature/functionality would be useful for you.

Idea posts are voted on by other members of the Community and submitted to the Product Teams for review and prioritization.  The more votes an Idea receives, the higher it is prioritized for possible implementation in the program.

For more information on Idea posts and how to create them, please visit: Creating and Voting for Ideas in the Community

Thank you,

Sarah

• TerryPulver
    TerryPulver Member ✭✭
    There is still a lot of work to be done in investment reports. For active investors having access to reports which provide performance numbers and percentages are needed to assess how investment strategies are working. To take just one example, I use an investment strategy that places more emphasis on asset allocation over individual equity selection. There is button to get into allocations but the categories are not fine grained enough and not entirely accurate. There are discrepancies between "security type" and asset type. Plus, when you run the asset allocation investment report it is so riven with errors and misclassifications that it is pretty much unusable. Investment reports needs to have more powerful analytic tools for assessing investment performance.
  • Quicken Sarah
    batw2012 said:
    Thank you for the update Eric. Quicken is really the only option for this type of work, the market is cornered! But Quicken is still behind the times and outdated. It seems like they could/should be the best, but it's still almost the same as 10 yrs ago, even 20 yrs ago!

Hello @batw2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and suggestions to improve Quicken.  We appreciate the kind words and great ideas!

I encourage you to visit the Product Ideas in the Community to view other suggestions submitted by Users and add your vote to help push these great ideas to a higher priority. 

For more information on Idea posts, how to create and vote, please see: Creating and Voting for Ideas in the Community 

Thank you,

Sarah

• Quicken Sarah
    nestell4 said:
    Why do you call it "QUICKEN CLOUD" when all it does is transfer your info to the app !!
    I know I'm not the only one....but my computer crashed, could not be repaired.
    I thought...CLOUD....I CAN RETRIVE MY QUICKEN DATA THERE.....nope :-(
    Crazy, been a Quicken user for YEARS AND YEARS....NEVER KNEW YOU COULD NOT RETRIVE FROM THE CLOUD....
    I run a back-up to a thumb drive...every time I close Quicken now....all these years I always thought I could get it from the cloud....never had a crash before...lucky I guess.
    Now, I have lost ALL My Scanned receipts !! That's the worst part...I referred back to those receipts a lot and my account loved them.....now the are gone...

I would pay for a cloud...I wish I had known !! You should call it TRANSFER … NOT A CLOUD !
    Hello @nestell4

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback with the Community, although I apologize for any frustration, confusion or inconvenience experienced.

The Quicken Cloud is designed to sync the data from your desktop Quicken data file to the Mobile and Web Apps, using a "cloud" space to complete the sync and is not intended to be used as a backup, I apologize.

For more information on the Quicken Cloud and available options for saving backups of your Quicken data file, please see https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-cloud.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Quicken Sarah
    I appreciate your efforts, but I have to point out that bugs affecting fundamental functionality significantly detract from your product. I would respectfully request you concentrate on eliminating current bugs before trying to add new functionality. (I refer specifically to ticket number: T1IN - 7083032)
    Hello @bjstanton73

Thank you for sharing your feedback, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

If you are still receiving an "Invalid answerValue 13 for parameter recurrence.byMonth. Value must be between 1 and 12." error when syncing with the Quicken Cloud, please review the information and patch download link available here, which should resolve the error.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Eric, Appreciate how you are pushing Quicken to new heights.. One issue that has been a problem for the 15 years I have used Quicken is around Stock Options. I work for a pre-ipo company and the company allows me to exercise my options before they vest, however Quicken has no clue how to handle this. Which then throws off cash balances, date of acquisition for tax purposes, etc. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - fix this.. thank you.. I am happy to talk to any product manager about this and have called in a few times to explain and it has gone no ware. - Scott
  • Hassayampa Slim
    Hassayampa Slim Member ✭✭✭
    You've heard this before, but fix what's broken, throughly test any update before distributing it. I could care less about new features.. just make it work right 100% of the time. Been using Quicken since the '80s, but in the last two years have had more problems with online FI transactions than all the previous time. Fix...Test.. Fix again.. and then don't screw it up with new features that only your marketing people care about.
This discussion has been closed.