Report total cash across investing and bank accounts?

To get an accurate picture of liquid assets, is there a way to report cash held in investment accounts (sweep, money market and other cash equivalents) with cash in bank accounts in a report that shows all assets?

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Investing > Portfolio 
    Create or edit a view so it includes all accounts and all securities including "No Security (includes cash)" and the Market Value column
    Group by Security and the cash amount will show at the bottom of the list. Cash held in money market funds will be listed separately.

If you want all the cash equivalents and none of the other investments, customize the view to include just the money market funds and "No security" 

Or if you have each security's Asset Class set correctly, you can group the view by Asset Class and all the securities that you have set to an asset class of Cash will be listed together.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    Sorry, the approach above only includes investing accounts. 

Try instead the Net Worth and Balances > Account Balances report. Select just the accounts you want to include and under Securities, select just "no Security (includes Cash)" and the money market funds.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a report that includes both banking accounts and investing accounts, try the Account Balances report.  Customize to include applicable accounts.  You might want to exclude credit card and retirement accounts.  Under the securities customization include the "No Security" selection, any applicable MM funds and investment-type CDs.  
  • rbw1
    rbw1 Member ✭✭
    Jim Harman and q_lurker-

Thanks- I appreciate the responses. Your idea shows cash across many accounts, but without other (important) assets. When I wrote all assets in my question, I meant more of a report that shows all assets that would have totals for cash, investments (by type or account), debt (credit card, mortgage, etc.) so as to get a clear picture of liquidity and its share of my net worth.
  • rbw1
    rbw1 Member ✭✭
    Another way to do it would be to within the existing Net Worth report, but allow a way for cash (and near cash) held in securities accounts to be reported within the Cash and Bank Accounts account section of that report.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rbw1 : I don't see where the account balances report I suggested to you and customized to only cash-type securities fails to reach your objective.  While I suggested omitting the credit card accounts, those and mortgage accounts and other liquid-asset accounts can certainly be included if you choose to.
  • rbw1
    rbw1 Member ✭✭
    q_lurker-

Again, thank you for your ideas.

If the only securities selected are cash, all remaining securities are excluded. Your suggestion shows the cash held in different accounts, but without the value of non-cash securities as well.

Am I misunderstanding your comment about selecting "No Security" selection, any applicable MM funds and investment-type CDs?
  • Jim_Harman
    It sounds like you are looking for a single report that shows a subtotal of all your cash and cash-like assets including bank accounts and money market funds and also shows your other assets.

I don't think there is a way to do this directly in Quicken but you could create two reports, one with the cash as described above and one with everything else. You could export these to Excel and combine the data there.

If you like to lump the cash in your investing accounts together with your spending accounts (many people like to keep these separate) you might look into the "Show cash in a checking account" option for your investing accounts. That will create a separate linked account in the banking section for each of your investing accounts.This has pros and cons, so back up your data before trying this option in case you want to switch back.
  • rbw1
    rbw1 Member ✭✭
    Jim-

The idea of being able to report cash held in securities accounts would be the most direct way to accomplish it. Certainly, exporting to Excel would accomplish the same goal, but in multiple steps each time. And I agree, the cash in checking option is not risk-free, especially if it is only a fiction relative to how the brokerage institution actually handles the account.

I recognize that changing how securities account cash is reported might create some confusion (why is my Merrill Lynch balance $100 in this report but only $80 in this one?), but the objective seems pretty noble and logical.

Thank again for your thoughts.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rbw1 said:
    q_lurker-

Again, thank you for your ideas.

If the only securities selected are cash, all remaining securities are excluded. Your suggestion shows the cash held in different accounts, but without the value of non-cash securities as well.

Am I misunderstanding your comment about selecting "No Security" selection, any applicable MM funds and investment-type CDs?
    I was focused on your desire to see all your liquidity rather than your liquidity as part of the entire net worth.  

I agree with Jim that you won't find that level of breakdown within an existing Quicken report or presentation.  
  • rbw1
    rbw1 Member ✭✭
    I couldn't find a way to do in Quicken, either; hence the reason for my posting here.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.

I've added the idea to the suggestion thread.
  • Jim_Harman
    Perhaps the best way to accomplish this would be an enhancement to the Asset Allocation report that would allow you to include banking and perhaps other account types in addition to investing accounts in the report.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can find a way to do this in Quicken, though it may be more trouble than it's worth.

Transfer cash out of all Investment Accounts and then run a Net Worth or Account Balances report.  After running the report delete the transfers in the originating Account(s).

This could be worthwhile if you're preparing balance sheets for presentation to outside parties, (e.g., loan applications), since "cash" is better than "risky investments" in certain cases.
  • rbw1
    rbw1 Member ✭✭
    Tom-

Thanks. I see how your idea would work. But with cash equivalents in the form of mutual funds (eg, VMMXX or SPRXX) as well as outright cash holdings, I guess you'd have to enter sales and transfers for those, too. So the degree of precision must be high; I agree your comment about considering the balance of trouble and worth.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have money market funds that are cash equivalents then the "cash" transfer entry would include those amounts.  That would leave the Investment Account "overdrawn" as far as cash goes, but the balance of the Account shown on the Net Worth report would, properly, be the sum of the "at risk" security investments. 
    So all cash and "near cash" (the MM funds) would be lumped into the "Cash and Bank Accounts" section of the Net Worth report.  For clarity you could create a new cash Account, one that you only use for this report, titled something along the lines of "Cash in Investment Accounts" and make all of your transfers into this Account.
    I think that's the easiest way to accomplish your goal using Quicken but "easy enough" is for you to decide.
  • Jim_Harman
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jim_Harman
    Gee, why didn't I think of something like that.  
    Oh, I guess I did.
    Gee, why didn't I remember thinking of something like that?
    What was the question?
This discussion has been closed.