Moving Quicken Home and Business files (Windows) to iMac

Options
My PC needed replacing and I opted for iMac desktop. I am seeing here discussion about using Windows on the Mac in order to continue using my current version of Quicken Home and Business. Any advice about how to get Windows/QH&B on my new iMac desktop would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Since there is no H&B version for Mac, if you want to continue running it, you will need to run the Windows version inside of a Windows emulator on the Mac such as Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion. 

There's lots of discussion of this around the forum, but here's an article that may help:

https://www.howtogeek.com/187359/5-ways-to-run-windows-software-on-a-mac/

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would suggest trying Oracle's VirtualBox first.

https://www.virtualbox.org/
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I don't use any of the virtual machine products, but from the reviews I've read and people I've talked to, Parallels is generally the favorite: it's very well supported to keep up with every wrinkle in macOS changes, it's the easiest to install and configure, and it runs Windows faster than others. You can save money by pursuing one of the free options, but sometimes the paid commercial software option can be preferable. No flames, please, if you prefer a different product; I'm only sharing what I've seen and heard.

Note that for any of these VM options, you will need to purchase a Windows license in addition to installing the VM software.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jacobs said:

Note that for any of these VM options, you will need to purchase a Windows license in addition to installing the VM software.
    Unless you go with CrossOver, which requires no Windows installation, but has its trade-offs.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• DocDoc#1
    DocDoc#1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your recs but I need to locate explicit instructions for how to do this (the simplest way possible!). Even if using one of the suggested Apps/virtual programs (?) I need assistance with the "how to" of the process.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You would be better off finding a local computer tech that can setup everything for you.

The basic steps are:

1. Install VM software.
    2. Create VM.
    3. Install Windows on VM.
    4. Install Quicken.
    5. Transfer Quicken data.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    If you purchase the commercial product, Parallels, I think you'd find that they have pretty detailed instructions -- plus 24x7 phone, chat and email tech support. That's why I tend to think it's a better option for users who aren't highly tech savvy.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • chitownhockey
    chitownhockey Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If they aren't tech savvy, they're better off buying a cheap PC.  By the time they buy Parallels and a copy of Windows 10, it might be a minimal investment to just buy a PC and put Quicken Windows on there.  

Parallels is now a subscription product, so there's that annual charge associated with it.  If they just purchase a cheapo PC with Windows 10 pre-installed, you'll have Quicken Windows available basically forever...as Windows will automatically upgrade for you at no charge and aside from the Quicken subscription, there's no additional charges.  
  • RickO
    Options
    Parallels Pro is subscription, but Parallels Home & Student is a one-time purchase:

https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/buy/?full
  • chitownhockey
    Options
    And while that might be a one time purchase, every time Apple updates it's macOS, which is annually, the current version of Parallels doesn't work with the new macOS.  You'll have to upgrade...or stay on the current operating system without updating that.  

So, you're caught between a rock and a hard place.  If you subscribe to Parallels, you'll have to pay an annual subscription.  If you purchase the one time fee, when it becomes obsolete in a year or less you'll have to pay to upgrade Parallels.  

Believe me...I'd love to get off the Quicken Windows/Parallels merry go round.  But Quicken Mac doesn't cut it for me yet (been running them both in parallel for about four years now!).  There's too many features I miss in Quicken Windows that Quicken Mac doesn't have...and won't have for a very, very long time, if ever.  

Luckily, I can afford the additional subscription costs.  

• RickO
    Options
    And while that might be a one time purchase, every time Apple updates it's macOS, which is annually, the current version of Parallels doesn't work with the new macOS.  You'll have to upgrade...or stay on the current operating system without updating that.  

That hasn't been my experience. I've been using Parallels v12 all the way through Mojave for three years. In anticipation of installing Catalina, I am just now upgrading to v15. (again, after three years).
  • chitownhockey
    Options
    Any Parallels version prior to v15 (current) won't work with Catalina.  And, if I recall (and I may be wrong here) if you "upgrade" to a newer version of Parallels from a certain previous version there is no upgrade pricing.  You have to purchase the entire software as if it is a new user install.

I don't disagree with Parallels pricing...no more than I disagree with Quicken's subscription pricing.  I'm just stating that there are extra costs involved beyond just the Quicken subscription.

And of course, my wishful thinking would have Quicken Mac to be a full and complete replacement for Quicken Windows and eliminate all this extra cost, and disk space.  

Not going to happen any time soon.  

• RickO
    Options
    All I can tell you is that my v12 worked from March 2017 through and including Mojave. I just upgraded to v15 in preparation for Catalina and was still offered upgrade pricing of $50 as opposed to $80 new. Prior to v12, I ran v9 for three years. So I've been able to get away with updating only every three years at upgrade pricing. No guarantee, of course, that will continue.
This discussion has been closed.