No success with converting 2007 on Mojave to new 2020

Options
Sorry if this is repetitive but I am reading earlier posts that there was success updating 2007 Quicken to a new version. I am not having any success converting it to 2020. I get the message that "Could not import" the .qdfm file, "error occurred while preparing the file". As per suggestion, I tried making a copy of the file and get the "Unable to erase partly-copied files."

I am running Quicken 2007 just fine on my Mojave 16.2.4 (AFPS) drive. (Don't care about backups as they are made hourly on external HFS backup drives)

So, is the conversion just not possible with my present OS, APFS, etc.???? Is the only option that I partition or run the entire program on an external HFS drive?

OR should I just admit defeat and once again return a Quicken version that will not work with my Mac?

Thanks,
Pat
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• chitownhockey
    chitownhockey Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In Quicken Mac 2020, FILE > NEW > Start from a Quicken for Mac 2007 file. 

For macOS Catalina users, Quicken should then send your file to a cloud convertor and voila, magically convert the file for usage in Quicken Mac 2020 with Catalina.  

For Mojave, the file should just convert locally.  

Your post is a bit ambiguous on how you started the data conversion process.  Please add any info if I misunderstood. 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @smayer97 "Backups … are made hourly on external HFS backup drive." That surely sounds like Time Machine. You wouldn't want to use that drive for the Quicken data and application files, which is why I suggested making an HFS+ partition of the APFS main drive.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @jacobs thx...I missed the word "hourly"...

I suggested the HFS+ drive already present for 2 reasons...OP may find it easier it case partitioning is too daunting and I meant it only as a temporary space while performing the data file fix and upgrade.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• patbunyard
    patbunyard Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you all for your assistance. This is what worked for me: I re-indexed a couple times but that did not help. I linked to a portable external drive formatted HFS and copied the Quicken 2007 application and the latest file onto the drive. From there I made a copy of the Quicken file. This I imported to my 2020. At least the file opened and added! Thank you for that.

Now, one main problem I seem unable to correct is that two files imported with incorrect decimal placement for numbers of stock owned. Makes a big difference in total $$. Is there a way to correct this in the 2020 or do I delete the two offenders and re-add them for download from my mutual fund?

Thanks again for all the help. At least I feel I can work with 2020 at this point.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I'm glad you were able to get the file cleaned up and imported!

Now, one main problem I seem unable to correct is that two files imported with incorrect decimal placement for numbers of stock owned. Makes a big difference in total $$. Is there a way to correct this in the 2020 or do I delete the two offenders and re-add them for download from my mutual fund?

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying you have exactly 10  (or 100) times the number of shares you should? I suggest opening one of these accounts, going back to the beginning of time, and looking at the transactions. Is every transaction off by a factor of 10 or 100? (That's nothing I've seen reported in a Quicken 2007 conversion before for stocks or4 mutual funds.) Is there a gray placeholder transaction at the beginning which is creating bogus value? You're likely going to have to find the source of the problem and correct it. If you delete the accounts and download from your financial institution, you'll likely get only 90 days of transactions, or perhaps up to a year -- but certainly not your entire history.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • patbunyard
    patbunyard Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you jacobs, the problem, I believe, is with the original setup. Quicken has automatically taken the step that /100 of shares as if a Bond fund. What I have is 46.96453 and it should be 4,694.53 shares. Another fund is treated the same and instead of 2,295.21 shares, it reads 22.95217. Because Quicken is doing this automatically, I am thinking there is no way to correct this in the program.

I changed the funds to read Type: Mutual Fund, but this makes no change. Even tried reimporting and still got the same error. I am wondering if I should change the name of the fund, reenter the fund and see if I can get accurate download from the financial institution. Then delete old info.
  • patbunyard
    patbunyard Member ✭✭
    Options
    As an update: I appreciate the support from everyone. I "almost" have things in order. I reinstalled a file of the "Copy" from the HFS external drive and after some cleaning up of a few repetitive things, I almost have it. One small problem with one brokerage account which is not reading quite right but I can take care of this eventually. What is important is that files are reading correctly and now I have a big learning curve in setting preferences and learning new methods of entry. I so thank you.

Pat
This discussion has been closed.