Q 2007 and file size: When is it too big?

Options
I use Quicken for Mac 2007 for my business (a small shop) and personal accounts on my late-2015 iMac running High Sierra. The app works GREAT!

I use no online functions. It's all in one data file, Just various bank & card & cash accounts and custom reports. It's lightning fast and reliable.

I started that data file on 1 Jan. 2005. It's now contains about 212 mb. of data.

I have no idea if 212 Mbs is not much, just enough, or too much data for one file.

My questions are:

How much data is too much for one file, considering what I use it for?

Should I start a new file for 2020?

Thanks in advance for all info and advice.

Best Answers

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    Though that is a decent size file, as long as performance is not an issue, size is not an issue.

That said, QM2007 does have some internal "size" limitations, having to do with the count of # of categories allowed, # transactions per register, etc, though it seems the experiences from these limitations vary from user to user. For example, I have gone over some of these supposed limitations but have not run into any issues (yet?!).

If you ever do run into such limitations, you can use the Save a Copy feature (under the File menu) to re-create a new data file with existing data and can decide to exclude some of your past data.

TIP: using the Save a Copy feature will reclaim some "released" space/counts due to deleted data and sometimes that is enough to extend the use of a data file without removing any data.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since I have never run into this, I can only echo some of what other users have reported. One of at least 2 symptoms are typical:
    - when trying to enter new transactions or perform an edit, you will get an error message, sometimes meaningful like you cannot perform that action, sometimes more cryptic.
    - you notice that when entering transactions and quitting Quicken then reopening it your latest entries are simply missing.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I have received a straightforward message that "the transaction file is full" -- a clear way of informing me I cannot enter another transaction until I delete some old ones. And indeed, deleting old transactions allows me to continue entering new ones. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Though that is a decent size file, as long as performance is not an issue, size is not an issue.

That said, QM2007 does have some internal "size" limitations, having to do with the count of # of categories allowed, # transactions per register, etc, though it seems the experiences from these limitations vary from user to user. For example, I have gone over some of these supposed limitations but have not run into any issues (yet?!).

If you ever do run into such limitations, you can use the Save a Copy feature (under the File menu) to re-create a new data file with existing data and can decide to exclude some of your past data.

TIP: using the Save a Copy feature will reclaim some "released" space/counts due to deleted data and sometimes that is enough to extend the use of a data file without removing any data.

• bookmanjb
    bookmanjb Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks so much for your extremely helpful post.

I guess I'll just keep on going with the file (I'll try that Save a Copy tip).

What symptoms would I look for that would indicate the file is getting unwieldy? Just arbitrary malfunctions?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since I have never run into this, I can only echo some of what other users have reported. One of at least 2 symptoms are typical:
    - when trying to enter new transactions or perform an edit, you will get an error message, sometimes meaningful like you cannot perform that action, sometimes more cryptic.
    - you notice that when entering transactions and quitting Quicken then reopening it your latest entries are simply missing.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I have received a straightforward message that "the transaction file is full" -- a clear way of informing me I cannot enter another transaction until I delete some old ones. And indeed, deleting old transactions allows me to continue entering new ones. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.