How do I see a total of Interest Income in a Brokerage Account?

Steve29
Steve29 Member ✭✭✭
I have an account containing bonds that generate interest. I've set this up as a brokerage account and I record the transactions as "Interest Income". But I see no way to get a total of interest payments on each bond. In Q2007 there was a column in the portfolio for "Income" which totaled the interest for each bond. In Q2020, nada. The only way I see to do it is to create a report, export the report to excel and then add it all up. Crazy cumbersome, just to see the income.

What am I missing?

Thanks to anyone who can shed any light on this!

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about by running the Investment Income report ... and restrict it to this one account and Subtotal by security?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Steve29
    Steve29 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks, but this is Quicken Mac -- there is no Investment Income report. Seems like that's something that the Quicken team should implement.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve29 said:
    Thanks, but this is Quicken Mac -- there is no Investment Income report. Seems like that's something that the Quicken team should implement.

AAHHH, I missed that.  Sorry.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Steve29
    Steve29 Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken needs to improve investment tools for Mac users. The fact that I bought a Mac does not mean that I need a dumbed down version of Quicken! Better investment tools have been promised many times, but we're still miles behind. I've been using Q2007 alongside Q2020 and while 2020 is more modern, it still hasn't caught up.
  • Steve29
    Steve29 Member ✭✭✭
    Checking in other accounts, I have the same problem with CDs. I have them in a Brokerage Account -- there's no way to total up the interest they have earned. Huh? How is this possible. Maybe I should have them in a different account type? Does anyone have a suggestion?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Steve29

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

I was able to open the brokerage account and search for "Interest" to pull up all transactions that are "Interest Income"

I then went to File > Print > Save as PDF.

I then get a report with a total amount. While this is a work-around and requires a few steps, would something like this work for what you need?

Let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Steve29
    Steve29 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Tyka, but that doesn't solve it for me. The issue is that there are several CDs in there. I can get a total of all interest payments by looking at the top line of the register (the transactions view). The Balance column shows the total of all interest payments. What I want is a list of the total interest on each bond or CD. I am absolutely dumbfounded that there is no way to show this. It's so basic! And it's a strong reason that I'm going to regret losing Q2007 -- thirteen years old and still more capable. But thanks for trying. If you have any other ideas, please let me know.
  • Steve29
    Steve29 Member ✭✭✭
    Here's the solution, but it's a royal pain. If you create a tag for each bond and then add that tag to each interest transaction for each bond, you can create a report that will include totals for each tag. You can then save the report as a custom report, after which, you are one click away from getting the info you need. But wow, what a huge amount of work for something that was done automatically in Q2007! For what it's worth, I'm on my third customer support call on this subject. So far, they have been less than useless. The word "CD" was unfamiliar to the support reps, who are in Nicaragua. That was a telltale hint that I wasn't going to get very far.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Steve29 I may not be understand what you're wanting to do fully, but can't you just enter the Payee name (e.g. however you have each CD named) in the Search box to limit what you see to a specific CD or bond?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Steve29
    Steve29 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Jacobs -- that's a very good idea. I didn't see the total in the upper right -- it's in grey text and not labeled as a total, so it's not immediately obvious, but yes there it is. It's still tedious and slow to enter each bond name, but at least I can do it. The report I came up with, based on tags, gives you everything on a single page, but it took some doing to get those tags in there. And of course, Q2007 Mac gives it all to you on the portfolio page without any work at all, which is how it should be. It's about time that Quicken update some of the investment features -- this is trivial and ought to be fixed. If there were an ""income" or "return" column, that would solve it, or if you could do a report based on security names rather than payees, that would be good, too (both are presumably possible in Windows). But your idea is very helpful -- thanks!
This discussion has been closed.