System Category named “_DivInc” is missing tax line assignment – i.e., Schedule B

Qucken’s canned “Tax Summary Report” is not picking up transactions categorized as “_DivIn” for the very simple reason that there is no tax line assignment to this category.

I have read a number of threads on this. Including but not limited to:

• Cannot add _DivInc Category to Budget
• No Tax Lines Assigned To Internal Tax Categories
• Why does Quicken mess up dividend income???

The tax line assignment is blank, empty, null. And, for whatever reason, I’m unable to add a tax line to this category. (I'm able to edit other system categories that have an existing tax line assignment.) The system will not allow me to delete “_DivInc” nor will it allow me to add a duplicate category with the same name. File repair via “Validate” fails to cure the issue.

Surely, there's a fix for this.

Using Windows 10/Quicken 2020.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please check the security details to make sure it is not marked tax free and the account details to make sure it is not marked tax deferred
    QWin Premier subscription
  • gtgerbo
    gtgerbo Member ✭✭
    At Edit Security Details, check box for "Tax free" = unchecked.

At Account Details, radio for "Tax deferred = No.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The category _DivInc should be pre-assigned the tax line item "Schedule B:Dividend income". Something has gone wrong if that assignment is missing. I can't test this because I can't reproduce it, but perhaps this procedure will fix it:
    1. Open the Category List.
    2. In the left column, select Investment.
    3. At the bottom, check Show hidden categories.
    4. You should now see all the investment categories. From what you said, _DivInc is missing its tax line item.
    5. Click on the Options pull-down in the lower left and select Manage Categories.
    6. Under Available Categories, choose Investment.
    7. In the resulting list, select _DivInc and click Add. You should see _DivInc in the right side list.
    8. Click OK to apply and dismiss the dialog.
    9. Now look to see whether _DivInc has the correct tax line item in the main category list. You might have to close and re-open the category list.
    Good luck, I hope this works.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• gtgerbo
    gtgerbo Member ✭✭
    Rocket J Squirrel - - - > I followed your procedure to a T. Actually several times, closing and reopening Quicken between attempts. No luck. The tax line assignment remains blank. See screen shot below...
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Sorry it didn't work. I was hoping the "Add" would overwrite your corrupted _DivInc category with an uncorrupted version.
    At this point, all I can think of is to contact Quicken Support and show them that screen shot or maybe let them share your screen.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited January 2020
    This nagged at me enough that I figured out a way to reproduce the missing TLI.
    I did this by editing the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\TAX.SCD to remove the line
    286  LYA Dividend income
    So, maybe, against all odds, your copy of TAX.SCD is missing that line. Here is the entire Schedule B block from that file with the line where it should be.
    285  SNN Schedule B
    524  LYP Seller-financed mortgage int.
    287  LYA Interest income
    288  LYA US government interest
    289  LYA State and muni bond interest
    290  LYA TE private activity bond int.
    489  LYA Int. income, non-taxable
    490  LYA Int. inc., taxed only by fed
    491  LYA Int. inc., taxed only by state
    492  LYA Int. inc., OID bonds
    616  LYA Fed tax w/h, interest income
    286  LYA Dividend income
    683  LYA Qualified dividend
    487  LYA Div. income, non-taxable
    488  LYA Div. income, cap gain distrib.
    615  LYA Fed tax w/h, dividend income
    Because this file lives in a system folder, you will have to edit it as Administrator.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The way a user may clear the _DivInc tax-line item is by using the Tax Planner and selecting View tax line item used here while viewing the Dividends on the Interest and Dividend Income - Schedule B page, selecting Change for _DivInc, the Tax Reporting tab, unchecking Tax related category or clearing the selected tax-line item, and selecting Save.

The only approaches I know of that will recover the tax-line assignment is to restore a backup saved prior to the change or to create a new data file.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited January 2020
    That certainly seems the most plausible way the TLI would be lost from the category. I also don't know any way to restore it to a file that's lost it.

• gtgerbo
    gtgerbo Member ✭✭
    Sherlock - - - - > No luck on the normal way.

Not sure when this started - might be years. Restore files don't go back far enough. A new data file is not an option for me at this time.

Thanks
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    By the way, @gtgerbo , when you click "No" in response to "Did this answer the question?", this forum marks our responses as "Rejected Answer". This makes us look bad when we were only trying to help. We generally don't click on "No", but rather click "Yes" when a response really does answer the question.

• gtgerbo
    gtgerbo Member ✭✭
    thanks for your help
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2020
    @Sherlock The subject category will not show up in Tax Planner Details now because the tax line assignment is missing.

I also tried to export/import a qif with only categories and found it did not work.  The back door in Tax Planner to create this issue is still present and should be closed.  A means to recover should also be implemented.

Adding- this question should not be statused as Accepted Answered because to the best of my knowledge there is no way to recover from this issue.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    I agree with @markus1957 that a solution is needed.
    Even with the general rule that built-in investment categories beginning with _ should not be altered by the user, an exception should be made for those categories which have no tax line item. The user should be allowed to re-attach the TLI to the category.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That certainly seems the most plausible way the TLI would be lost from the category. I also don't know any way to restore it to a file that's lost it.

I'm confused.  How does this reply reconcile with your earlier reply to edit Tax.SCD?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    NotACPA said:

I'm confused.  How does this reply reconcile with your earlier reply to edit Tax.SCD?
    This was @Rocket J Squirrel reply to the instructions I provided that show how a user may remove the tax-line associated with system category independent of the Tax.SCD.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    NotACPA said:
    It doesn't. A malformed TAX.SCD was just an incorrect guess on my part. Sherlock provided the most probable set of actions to cause this issue.

• JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have the same problem. Is there a published solution for this? Quicken should create a fix for internal categories like _DivInc used by their software loosing its tax category which causes all the other internal features like Tax planner and reports to not report on important _DivInc transactions.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just received a message from one of the Community moderators.
    The programmers have received a ticket / request to make it possible to fix this broken record and to prevent it from being broken again, by whatever means that is currently possible.
    So, stay tuned. It may take a few weeks until the next patch release cycle after R 24.11 (which is currently in limited release to a few thousand guinea pigs, er,  customers at a time)
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    That is great news and would make the Quicken subscription I just signed up for worth it! Is there somewhere that this ticket/request is being tracked for latest status?

I had posted this issue also in the following thread and will put a message back to this one since it seems we will be getting a fix. https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7866840/quicken-tax-reports-not-using-divinc-internal-category-its-missing-the-tax-attribute#latest
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    @UKR Is there a way to check ongoing status of that fix you mentioned?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JRod said:
    @UKR Is there a way to check ongoing status of that fix you mentioned?

No, I'm afraid there's no way for anyone to check on the status of a ticket with the programmers.
    All I have available at this time is their internal ticket number, CTP-491.
    Let's hope that someone from Quicken will let us know if there's an update.
    I'm still hoping for a quick fix to be made available with the next batch of updates after R 24.11
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    @UKR Have you heard any word on this fix and ticket CTP-491? Hoping they release a fix soon.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JRod said:
    @UKR Have you heard any word on this fix and ticket CTP-491? Hoping they release a fix soon.

Haven't heard a thing, but that doesn't mean anything. Quicken never announces when or if they are going to fix anything until the next patch release hits the streets.
This discussion has been closed.