Restore from backup no longer offers the "Overwrite" option.

Options
When I restore from a backup file (my own backup), Quicken Windows no longer offers to overwrite the current file. It simply places the backup files in the current directory and converts it to a Quicken (.QDF) file. Is this by design?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• gsakal02134
    gsakal02134 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.
    First of all, the most recent restore I did behaved properly--it gave me the dialog that you posted above, and I chose to "Overwrite". It worked as it should, and overwrote the open file.

As I always have, when performing a restore, I use the above dialog, and then navigate to the Google Drive folder to choose the backup I wish to restore. I have never double-clicked on a backup file outside of this dialog box; I've always accessed it from within the "Restore from Backup" dialog.

After the restore, I was able to re-download (via Direct-Connect) my bank transactions, and re-import (via Web-Connect) my transactions from LPL. As you may have heard, imports from LPL had stopped working around 18-Dec-2019. Everything is working now, and my transactions are all up-to-date.

Answers

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• gsakal02134
    gsakal02134 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Okay, that FAQ didn't tell me much. Here is my Quicken info:
    Quicken Windows Deluxe
    Year: 2020
    Version: R2411
    Build: 27.1.24.11
    I am restoring from a local backup saved to my Google Drive.
    Internet connection (why is this important?) is via cable modem.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @gsakal02134

Thank you for taking the time to review the above FAQ and provide more details, although I apologize that you haven't received a follow-up response.

I still receive the prompt to overwrite the existing file when restoring a backup.

Are you restoring the backup from within Quicken under File > Backup and Restore or are you double-clicking on the backup file directly from Google Drive?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • gsakal02134
    gsakal02134 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.
    First of all, the most recent restore I did behaved properly--it gave me the dialog that you posted above, and I chose to "Overwrite". It worked as it should, and overwrote the open file.

As I always have, when performing a restore, I use the above dialog, and then navigate to the Google Drive folder to choose the backup I wish to restore. I have never double-clicked on a backup file outside of this dialog box; I've always accessed it from within the "Restore from Backup" dialog.

After the restore, I was able to re-download (via Direct-Connect) my bank transactions, and re-import (via Web-Connect) my transactions from LPL. As you may have heard, imports from LPL had stopped working around 18-Dec-2019. Everything is working now, and my transactions are all up-to-date.
This discussion has been closed.