2020 verified buyer. How can I get Q 5.12.5 for Mac and upgrade after conversion of 2007 files?

Options
I know I speak for others. It is my own research that I believe 5.12.5 will transfer 2007 files on "only our computers". And 5.13 + will take the files to a cloud and convert to avoid the 32 bit issues that may arise.
But alas!, not all of us have upgraded our systems to the latest and greatest 64 bit must have Mac OS. And its a shame that Quicken and other just assume such malarkey (its a word).
I purchased 2020 subscription version recently. Want to keep it and plan to buy more for others. But we do not want to use the cloud file system because we are told "its all ok and will be deleted". We should not have to learn how that code might work to know if its safe. And yes, we did use online pass worded services with the 2007 version.

Some of us, like me want a choice. Cool if it was just a button for us 32 bit antiquarians. Like it was already coded to do before going to the cloud version upgrade. I would convert my files with 5.12.5, then upgrade to the most recent Quicken and hope it works. So is there a way to get this or do I have to put off these Quicken purchases until an option is available?

Best Answers

Answers

• Justoni
    Justoni Member
    Options
    I don't have 5.12 to try out thus is why my question. But it makes since for 5.13+ to properly upgrade both ways either automatically or by choice. I just did not see a reference to this in Quicken upgrade notes. If this is so they should proudly say so in the "Version 5.13.0, 5.13.1, 5.13.2, and 5.13.3 (October - November)" for everybody sake. Its just a little note needed. Does Quicken even take note of these posted SU experments and findings"

"NEW The new macOS Catalina does not allow 32-bit apps to run. This causes the local Quicken 2007 and Quicken Windows file converters to fail. To address the issue, Quicken Mac will now temporarily upload a file to a new cloud-based converter that will convert the file, transfer it back to Quicken Mac for import, and then delete it."

Thank you for your quick reply!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sometimes they do take note, sometimes changes come by request. I'll pass this request along.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Justoni
    Justoni Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks. Your responses are reassuring and I appreciate the request follow up. I will try to move forward with some trials of my own.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ywc. Glad to help :)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Justoni  Quicken does not provide old versions of their software to subscription customers. The current release is 5.14.0, and I don't believe therein any way for you to obtain a copy of 5.12.5 from Quicken at this point. One of the key reasons they moved to the subscription model was that they would be supporting only the current version instead of many older versions. So if there is a problem in the current version, the focus need to be on calling that to the company's attention so it gets fixed, not trying to obtain an older version.

Now, to the matter you're concerned about: I tested 5.13 conversions from Quicken 2007 on Macs running Sierra, Mojave and Catalina, and only the one running Catalina used the cloud-based converter; the Macs running the older operating systems continued to perform the conversion locally, as it has for the past 5 years.

So your premise that "Quicken just assumes" users are on the latest OS is, to use your own word, malarkey. ;)

In fact, they came up with a pretty brilliant solution, in my opinion. The Quicken 2007 file converter in the modern Quicken Mac is basically a stripped down version of Quicken 2007 which can extract the data from the old program's quirky database -- and as such, it is 32-bit code which cannot run on Catalina and beyond. It would be virtually impossible to rewrite as 64-bit code, because the core database would need to be rewritten from scratch -- a massive programming task they're not going to undertake for the several thousand remaining Quicken 2007 users. So for awhile, it seemed like anyone who had a Quicken 2007 data file who upgraded to Catalina -- by choice or because their old Mac died and they got a new one -- would be stuck with no way to convert without obtaining an older Mac. So the solution they came up with -- uploading the data to run the piece of the 32-bit data extraction code on their server and then returning the data to your local Mac to import into the modern Quicken -- solved a major problem quite nicely.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.