How to manually update a stock price?

Scott Rose
Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
edited February 2020 in Investing (Mac)
(THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE IN THE INVESTING FORUM, BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO MOVE IT NOW.) [Edit...moved]

How do I manually update a quote price for a stock in the new Quicken Mac?

I have a few "shares" of cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin Cash (BCH), which I have added into a cryptocurrency brokerage account.

Quicken Mac doesn't understand looking up the quote price for non-publicly-traded stocks, so I don't know how to manually update the Bitcoin Cash (BCH) price on my own.

In the old Quicken 2017, it was extremely easy & straightforward — you just type in the current price on the Portfolio screen, and Quicken 2017 adds it into the price history. 

But as far as I can tell, there is no way to do this in the new Quicken Mac.

Best Answer

Answers

• Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2020
    NEW PROBLEM WITH THIS:

Okay, I finally found stock prices underneath "Window > Securities", and then I double-clicked on the stock and then clicked on the "Price History" tab.

So I manually added a price history entry for today's date, and it successfully shows up in the Price History list.

HOWEVER: When I go back to view my Portfolio for my brokerage account, it still shows the SECOND NEWEST PRICE in the Price history List. 

In other words, Quicken for Mac is IGNORING my most recent price history entry, even though it has the newest date in the list.

My portfolio is only showing me the price which is BENEATH the most recent manual entry that I typed in.

I even hit the little "Refresh" button on the portfolio as well, but that didn't do anything either. The portfolio shows me that the prices were "last updated TODAY at THIS TIME", but it's not reflecting the newest price that I manually typed into the price history list. 

In other words, my portfolio in Quicken Mac is not updating to reflect the newest price that I typed into the price history tab.
  • Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    Look at the 2 screenshots below to see what I'm talking about here.

The current quote is NOT being reflected in my portfolio!
  • Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2020

• Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the as of date for the portfolio view?
    Your price history shows a unit price for tomorrows date (02/03/20).

FWIW - I manually update one accounts unit prices and have no issues - I do not pit in future dated prices though.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    Oh, duh!!  :#:#:# I accidentally put in TOMORROW'S DATE for the price history entry, and my portfolio was only set to show prices as of TODAY. Thank you for figuring this out for me!! Duh!! I actually meant to put in TODAY'S DATE for the price history, but this is what I get when I'm not wearing my glasses!!  :D Thank you for clearing up this issue for me! :)
  • Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    Thank you, I just upvoted this idea! This is sorely needed in Quicken Mac!
This discussion has been closed.