Frustrations with Quicken 2019

Options
I recently switched from Quicken 2013 to Quicken 2019. I do not like 2019 at all and I just want to vent my frustrations in the hopes that someone will listen and maybe make some positive changes. I do everything manually; I am not connected to my bank. Here’s what I don’t like:
- The one-line register. It’s too crowed with all those columns!
- The type is too small.
- In 2013, when you finished entering a transaction, you clicked Save. Now, you just click anywhere. That seems so stupid and I never feel reassured that the transaction has been saved.
- 2013 had a nice drop-down menu under transaction type – next check number, EFT, deposit, etc. I miss that.
- The system for entering a deposit is also nutty.
- The drop-downs under category are impossible to read!
- In 2013, reconciling was easier because there were two columns, one for withdrawals, one for deposits. I could match those totals to my bank statements, and then if my numbers weren’t reconciling, it was easier to figure out why.
- The calculator in the split window is for the birds. I never would have figured it out on my own. I had to call your customer support.
I will say this: your phone support is fantastic. Wait times are minimal to non-existent, the tree is short, and – most important – the associates are knowledgeable, understandable, patient, and polite. Keep it up!
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FYI - I'm staying on 2013 since I don't download or connect to my bank, etc.  I do everything manually.  Why did you update if you want to manually enter?  

To change to 2 line display,  go to the register you want to change and select "Account Actions".  Then enable Two-line display.   Or there is a  shortcut (Ctrl + 2) which toggles the setting. This only works for non-investment accounts.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not sure why you've chosen to post this under Community Improvement Suggestions.  

If I assume you're using the Windows based product:
    - The one-line register. It’s too crowed with all those columns!
    Press Ctrl + 2.

- The type is too small.

Select View > Use Large Fonts.

- In 2013, when you finished entering a transaction, you clicked Save. Now, you just click anywhere. That seems so stupid and I never feel reassured that the transaction has been saved.

Select Edit > Preferences...

- 2013 had a nice drop-down menu under transaction type – next check number, EFT, deposit, etc. I miss that. 
    The drop down menu is in the Check # column.

You may want to check:

Select Edit > Preferences...

- The system for entering a deposit is also nutty. 
    You need to be more specific.

- The drop-downs under category are impossible to read!

Select View > Use Large Fonts.

- In 2013, reconciling was easier because there were two columns, one for withdrawals, one for deposits. I could match those totals to my bank statements, and then if my numbers weren’t reconciling, it was easier to figure out why. 

Perhaps you should disable Auto Reconcile and choose Paper Statementhttps://www.quicken.com/support/reconciling-account-quicken-windows

- The calculator in the split window is for the birds. I never would have figured it out on my own. I had to call your customer support. 

The pop-up calculator is the same whether the transaction is split or not so I suspect you may have been referring to the Adjust button in the Split Transaction window:

This discussion has been closed.