do the { } work for memo field?

I know the { } in the payee field allows one to put more info but not print on checks when printed.

I know I can create reports based upon keywords in the memo field.

So question I would like to use { } in memo field where info is not put on a check but I can create a report based upon this info quickly.
Tagged:

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could try it and see if it does as you want.  To test the check print, use a blank piece of paper.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Why not simply use Tags instead of using the { } ? Then you can easily filter the transactions you want.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• BRETTB
    BRETTB Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Yes I have tried the check print (and it appears it will print the { } info which I don't want on it.

I think I found away - customizing reports I see there is a payee field that I can put my key word in like "1099" to find all payee that may have {1099} or a variation within it. So it will work like the memo.

I'm good.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't you already putting them into a Labor Category?  And then assign that Category to a Schedule C tax line item.  Then you run a report on the Labor Category.  

You can either assign the tax line number to an existing category or you might want to set up a new category for it to keep the existing one under personal if you have the same expense for both personal and business.

To check the tax line assignment open the Category list by either clicking on the Category Icon or go to Tools-Category List or Ctrl+Shift+C.  Then select the category and right click on it to Edit it.  Click on the Tax Reporting Tab and check the box for Tax related and pick a Schedule C: tax line item.

BUSINESS CATEGORIES
    You should set up business categories. Make sure to assign them to a schedule C line item number so they show up as business categories. I don't know what categories you would need but my husband is a Land Surveyor.  Here's how I set mine up (I also put the Schedule C line number in as part of the name)...
    Survey Income
    Survey Expenses
     ……..11 Labor
     ……..18 Office Expense
     ……..20 Equip Rent
     ……..22 Supplies
     ……..24a Travel
     ……..27 Other - Printing
     ……..27 Other - Small Tools

I made the expenses sub-categories of the main Survey Expense category.

Also I use Tags  for each job.  Then when I run a report I can sort it by job.  So an expense entry might look like this…
    Survey Expenses:22 Supplies/Maple Street
    Or you could tag the 1099 people with a 1099 Tag.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• BRETTB
    BRETTB Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Im doing that too on labor but I find using a payee {1099) and search for them and putting together reports is much easier because I may not have them all under the same category. Most of ours are Repairs and Maintence:1099 Misc Non Employee

But I have some in other categories and different items on schedule C or Rental Tax Form.

I want to keep my tags neat. Just mainly for different entities and many times we use the same vendors between different entities. So Marking them Payee {1099}, lets me find mark them on the fly for my reports later. Tags will help tell me quickly when entity or Rental LLC.
This discussion has been closed.