I cannot re install Quicken for Mac 2007 onto my MacBook running El Capitan. It was fine before!

Best Answers

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You haven't provided enough information for fellow users to help you. What happened to your previous copy of Quicken 2007 when things were fine? Why can't you install it on your MacBook? Are you getting an error? Do you no longer have a copy of the application?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Hello smayer97 & Jacobs...... thanks for answering my question. Sorry but I think i hit enter before finishing my question. Okay here's what happened. A few days ago, after entering data into my Quicken for Mac 2007 program, I went to save the file and exit - as usual. I got an error message that Quicken quit unexpectedly, and when I hit "reopen" it started this process of "re-indexing files" or "Reconstructing indexes" etc. This went on for a few days, so I decided to uninstall the program and re-install it. That's when I got the error message that ".....PowerPC Applications are no longer supported..." Please note that I've been running this program very successfully on my 2008 MacBook for many years; well 12 to be exact. I'm running El Capitan as the OS, 10.11.6. The MacBook has plenty of hard drive space and memory to perform these functions. Does that help you better understand what's going on? Thanks for any feedback you can provide. Oh yes, I still have the software on CD that I purchased from the Apple Store (in person)!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @smayer97 said it exactly right. So the key question is: do you have any backup of your Mac? If so, it hopefully contains both the Quicken 2007 applicaiton you deleted and a backup of your data file from before the problem occured. (If not, well, that should be the first thing to address after you -- hopefully -- get Quicken back in order.)

As you know, Quicken 2007 is very old software, and it's something of a minor miracle that it runs at all  on current Macs. But the old database is prone to occasional corruption. Usually, the re-indexing runs pretty smoothly and everything is back in order after a few minutes; I'm not sure why yours got caught up in a loop of reindexing. So I'm just letting you know that the message you saw is defnitely not too unusual. (I need to reindex my Quicken 2007 data file every month or two now.)

Back to the matter at hand: do you have a backup of the Quicken 2007 application? If not, you can search online; you can often find one on eBay (there's one unscrupulous seller who almost always has a listing and who I'm certain is just making copies of the software onto flash memory drives and selling them at a jacked-up price). It'll be an annoyingly expensive lession, but at least you can get back in operation.

Your other possibility is taking advantage of this opportunity to upgrade to the modern Quicken Mac. There are lots of differences -- some good, some bad, some neutral -- but it would put you on supported software with a much more reliable database for the future. Quicken is now sold on a subscription basis, so you'll need to be prepared to pay annually to maintain your subscription (or let it lapse and have Quicken steal about a quarter of your screen for an obnoxious message encouraging you to renew). This is a step you'll probably have to take somewhere in the next few years, so it might make sense to do it now if you find you're going to have to fork over money for the old, discontinued software. Just an option for you to consider.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Thank you BOTH for reaching out to help me. I really do appreciate it! Okay, I think it is time to upgrade to Quicken 2019 or 2020. That would be okay, especially after what you guys told me. I'll just be fighting this thing anyways, why not give in and update? Which poses a final question: If I update to Quicken for Mac 2020 (subscription) will I be able to transfer (open) my old data file from 2007 (which is saved on a flash drive) and keep all my records? God, I hope so! Thanks again.....
This discussion has been closed.